X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster schedule' awaits UCA men - Northwest Arkansas Newspapers

by Trenton Daeschner
    November 1, 2019 at 3:13 a.m.

A quick glance at the University of Central Arkansas men's basketball nonconference schedule and a glaring realization is noticed -- the Bears' first few days of the 2019-20 season are daunting.

"A quick glance at the University of Central Arkansas men's basketball nonconference schedule and a glaring realization is noticed -- the Bears' first few days of the 2019-20 season are daunting. UCA is set for road trips at Baylor, Georgetown and Duke, all within the opening week of the season. The Bears also travel to Wichita State, Utah and Marquette in December. UCA Coach Russ Pennell has called it a "monster schedule," but these are the exact early season tests he prefers.

"It's the apex of Division I basketball, those venues," Pennell said. "We're confident that we can go and compete. ... What I don't want to do is have these guys discouraged, disappointed with things that we're requiring them to do to make sure that our school has what it needs to be successful athletically. I believe this team stacks up against anyone in the Southland...."

Comment

• Don't know about everyone else but I hate 2PM games. I think it has something to do with the empty seats. People
      have other activities esp in seventy degree weather and there is always a prime time football game at 2:30

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
        Get your OU/IBA tickets yet? 502 lower bowl tickets as well as 5,295 upper bowl tickets remain. That brings tickets sold so far to 9,207. Attendance for last year's game with Southern Miss was 9,356.
        Update on IBA tickets: 85 lower bowl tickets left and 4,808 in the upper bowl. That brings tickets sold so far to 10,111.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
          Don't know about everyone else but I hate 2PM games. I think it has something to do with the empty seats. People
          have other activities esp in seventy degree weather and there is always a prime time football game at 2:30
          Yup, and I feel like we always have bad games on the earlier Saturday games. UNI a few years back was one, then i think a couple of our Intrust losses were one, then the Miami game in the NCAA tourney ..

Comment

• Just finalized plans to make a trip back to the ICT the weekend of the Intrust game. My brother and I are planning to go to the game.

Then I'm bringing the wife and kids back in January--hoping to get tickets to either Houston or UCF. This would be my kids' first WSU game (they're 6 and 4) and I'm glad to report they are stoked.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• thru 11/17/19

The Cupcakes -
              Omaha, Texas Southern, UT-Martin, Gardner-Webb, Ora Roberts, Central Arkansas, and Abilene Christian

Combined Record: 3 wins - 18 losses

The Entrees' -South Carolina, West Virginia/ Northern Iowa, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, VCU, Mississippi

Combined Record: 21 wins - 0 losses

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                thru 11/17/19

The Cupcakes -
                Omaha, Texas Southern, UT-Martin, Gardner-Webb, Ora Roberts, Central Arkansas, and Abilene Christian

The Entrees' -South Carolina, West Virginia/ Northern Iowa, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, VCU, Mississippi

Be careful with your characterization of cupcakes. I've witnessed many P5 teams and bluebloods who are beaten in the early season and your post drips of a lack of respect for the talent that all Div. 1 teams and probably the talent that Gardner-Webb and Oral Roberts have, especially when these games are always played on the road. There is no chance that they don't get up for their games at WSU and the atmosphere they will play in as opposed to their regular atmosphere, and barring injuries to key players, if we aren't mentally prepared to play and play well, an upset could very well happen.

As we all should know, Nebraska-Omaha and Texas Southern weren't easy games and while we didn't play well, we shouldn't take anyone for granted.

Gardner-Webb on the Road

Lost to Furman by 7
                Lost to North Carolina by 16

ORU on the Road

Lost to Oklahoma State by 5
                Lost to Tulsa by 7
                Lost to Iowa by 13

These losses are not by great numbers and with just a few negative events to the Winning teams, these games could have all turned out differently.

I hope the young Shockers are taking them seriously. I think I know Gregg Marshall enough by now that he won't take these games off but I've seen too much in my lifetime to think these are just gimmees.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                  thru 11/17/19

The Cupcakes -

Yipes Stripes Beechnut Gum!
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Undefeated vs. Defeated (thru games of 12/02/19)

2020 College Basketball ELO Chess Ranking: a ranking of teams by their ELO Chess Score which increases or decreases based the outcome of the game and opponents skill level (ELO ranking).

Of the 20 teams this season who remained undefeated, we had/have 3 of them on our schedule: West Virginia (7-0), Oklahoma State (7-0), and SMU (7-0).

Of the 33 teams this season who have yet to win a Division 1 game, we have 2 of them left on our schedule: Central Arkansas (0-6) and Abilene Christian (0-5).

Comment

• So of our four remaining tough games it seems like Ole Miss will be our best chance for a win. That leaves OU, OState and VCU for us steal at least one more. OSU and VCU will both be really tough matchups with their styles and OU kicked our tales the last two times we’ve played. Thursday’s game is important if for nothing else to build some confidence and work on what OSU will bring to the table. Perfect timing for a game we should win handily.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                        So of our four remaining tough games it seems like Ole Miss will be our best chance for a win. That leaves OU, OState and VCU for us steal at least one more. OSU and VCU will both be really tough matchups with their styles and OU kicked our tales the last two times we’ve played. Thursday’s game is important if for nothing else to build some confidence and work on what OSU will bring to the table. Perfect timing for a game we should win handily.
                        We are favored in 2 of the 3 big games.

Oklahoma St. - 26%
                        Oklahoma - 57%
                        VCU - 58%

Comment

Update on IBA tickets: 85 lower bowl tickets left and 4,808 in the upper bowl. That brings tickets sold so far to 10,111.
                          Quite a few club and quality lower level tickets released in the last few days on Select-A-Seat. Not sure we're going to draw more than 12K for this game.

118 lower bowl tickets left and 4,708 in the upper bowl. That brings tickets sold to 10,178.

Comment

Quite a few club and quality lower level tickets released in the last few days on Select-A-Seat. Not sure we're going to draw more than 12K for this game.

118 lower bowl tickets left and 4,708 in the upper bowl. That brings tickets sold to 10,178.
                            So we have sold less than 100 seats in 3 weeks?. If that is truly the case, what does that say about the state of our program?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Pickle View Post

So we have sold less than 100 seats in 3 weeks?. If that is truly the case, what does that say about the state of our program?
                              Our fanbase is more bandwagon than it cares to admit and/or the ticket prices are not reasonably priced for an off-campus basketball game not included in the season ticket package.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Upper deck tickets not in the baseline area for my family of 4 would cost $140. That's including fees of $28. Pretty pricey.

Comment

Working...
                                X