No announcement yet.

Realistic shot at NIT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m too lazy to look it up, how many auto bids is the NIT up to now? (i.e. Lipscomb etc.)

Comment

Question. Loyola and Drake tied for the MVC regular season championship with Loyola getting the #1 seed in the MVC tournament on a tiebreaker. Does that mean both get auto bids to the NIT?

Comment

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        No. Loyola is the autobid.

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
      I’m too lazy to look it up, how many auto bids is the NIT up to now? (i.e. Lipscomb etc.)
      Best as I can, here are the so called auto bids to the NIT:

Loyola MVC
      Campbell Big South
      Lipscomb (if they don't make the NCAAs) Atlantic Sun
      Belmont OVC (not positive they're an auto, but they're in unless they sneak into the NCAAs)
      Hofstra Colonial (lost tonight)
      South Dakota State Summit (lost 1st round)

Tourney drop in.....have you seen the West Coast Bracket? 10 team league. If you finish 7-10 you have to win 5 games in 5 days. Finish 1-2? Bye to the semis. The Zags may have something to do with that.

Wright State Horizon
      St Francis PA Northeast

That's 8 of 32 spots gone, so far, with many other possibilities.

Comment

Is a 1 seed gonna win a conference tournament?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Great question Fev. It looks like about 8 auto bid conferences are done and maybe only one 1 seed won the tournament. This looks really bad for us.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Before the start of games today (03/12/19), I still have the Shockers as "first four out". However, games tomorrow will have a larger impact on our chances as well as our game on Thursday. Still plenty of time/games to be decided..

Comment

• WuDrWu
                WuDrWu commented
                Editing a comment
                Would you be interested in listing this? I'd love to see it and where we stand, thanks.

• WuShock Reaper
                WuShock Reaper commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll rerun the list this evening, around 6:00pm, to see if yesterday's games had any impact. I'll include their rank, plus my criteria for NIT at-large inclusion.

Well st Mary’s winning takes one lock NIT team out of the conversation

Comment

• WuDrWu
                WuDrWu commented
                Editing a comment
                True, but whomever they just knocked out of the NCAAs still falls in ahead of us in the NIT, wherever that is.

• Shocktoberfest
                Shocktoberfest commented
                Editing a comment
                Unless the team they beat will be a 1 seed in the dance doc. St Mary’s beat the Zags.

• Stickboy46
                Stickboy46 commented
                Editing a comment
                It still bumps someone out of the NCAA to the NIT. It's a net neutral to WSUs NIT chances

Belmont
              Lipscomb
              Hofstra
              Loyola
              Campbell
              Fairleigh Dickinson
              Wright State
              South Dakota State

Comment

• Root hard for CJ's Aggies. They are the class of the WAC and have been playing their best ball lately, but they won a bunch of close games in conference. For many reasons, hope they win the WAC.

Comment

• Bit of a conundrum for us. Beating Temple could knock them to the NIT which could possibly take a bid from us. Just beating Temple might be the worst overall scenario for the conference. We need to beat Temple and make it to Sunday.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                    WuDrWu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I did not think the NCAAs were in play this season. It's amazing how close though we could have been. For instance....don't lose the 12 point lead to Temple at the end...again, finish on a 1-12 instead of a 0-12 slide. Beat Davidson (led almost the entire game, multiple 10+ point leads, led at the under 4TO). Then lose to Purdue and beat NE. Hardly a stretch. 19-11, 11-7. Win 2 in Memphis at 21-12 and we're certainly in the mix for an at large. Play on Sunday and we're in. No way the committee is dealing with us upsetting the apple cart IF we win 2 hours before the bracket is revealed. We're in regardless.

• WSUwatcher
                    WSUwatcher commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I believe you're exactly right in your comment, which is why the NCAA / WVU shaft job applied to Teddy is so frustrating, because I believe the Shocks would have accomplished at least your scenario, if not more, with Teddy playing this year.

Way back when we were still awaiting the Teddy verdict I had people tell me that they hoped he'd end up sitting this season because they figured it was wasted anyway, and they'd rather have him for three years of better prospects. I thought they were wrong then and think the way the season has played out has confirmed that -- although the Davidson debacle may have happened early enough in the season to be unavoidable -- which is why I now despise the NCAA even more than I already did, and have also become a locked-in WVU hater (at least as long as Huggins and his AD are still there, and they're not playing the Chickenhawks).

This season has been a testament to Marshall and his staff's ability to bring a team around, and it's been a very impressive recovery.

• Shocker girl nailed it. Of those teams she listed, I think Belmont (OVC) was the only two bid conference (NCAA + NIT). All those teams on her list are NIT bid stealers. We don’t need to be worrying about the NCAA bubble teams, they will go one place or another anyway. We need to be worrying about the NIT bubble teams which would be the 7 - 12 place power conference teams.

Comment

• Completely worthless thought experiment that I spent mental energy on anyway:

What’s our record and resume if our conference schedule was exactly the same opponents, but in the exact opposite order that we played them? Do we still have all the same wins from the weak back half of the schedule this year if we played them first, but have a more seasoned squad to potentially pick off stronger opponents that we played in the first half of the AAC this year? The OT loss to Temple specifically comes to mind as one that I think the current squad would flip from an L to a W.

Anyway, my gut says it would be a net improvement of 2 quality wins. I think the current situation of realistically having a chance to win 18-20 games is borderline miraculous considering the circumstances, let alone being 2 better just because of scheduling.

HIgh class problems. It would be pretty sweet for Gregg to keep the 20 win streak alive even if the NCAA streak dies, too.

Comment

• Needs these teams to lose today, Wednesday (03/13/19):

Clemson lost or North Carolina State Won - NC State one by 1 point
                      Arizona lost - USC won by 13 points
                      Colorado won - Colorado pulls out the win vs. California by 5 points
                      Nebraska won - wins by 7 points vs. Rutgers
                      TCU won - squeaks out the win by three points.
                      Butler lost - lost by 23 points to Providence
                      Oregon won - crushed Washington State by 33 points
                      Saint John's - beat DePaul by 8 points
                      UCLA won - by 7 points over Stanford
                      Syracuse won - beat Pittsburgh by 14 points
                      Last edited by WuShock Reaper; March 14, 2019, 05:17 PM. Reason: updated results of games

Comment

• We'll be the 2nd or 3rd team in the pecking order from the AAC to get an NIT bid. We'll be 2nd if 4 teams make the NCAA or 3rd if 3 teams make the NCAA.

The other possibility is we'd be the first team from the AAC to make the NIT if somehow 5 teams (neither of which included us) made the NCAA.

Comment

Working...
                        X