No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Memphis Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again, if you are with the Administration, as a fan, it was so incredibly stupid, moronic, lame, cheap and just plain rude to pull out the ol' bean bag toss when you've got 10k people standing and screaming at the top of their lungs. It's just so sad and strange to think the administration took the life completely out of the arena. All for a couple of bucks. 3 to 4000 immediately go to their phones to check the latest whatever, I dont know, Ben and Jerry ice cream flavor. Stupid, stupid, stupid. There HAS to be some way to fix this. MAJOR MAJOR kudos to the bulk of the crowd that immediately stepped it back up. I almost felt bad enough to leave early.

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
      SHOCKvalue commented
      Editing a comment
      Felt like there was a collective “ugh” by 10,506 people.

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post
    More HCGM stubbornness on full display tonight.
    When you get outscored 24-9 coming out for the second half and continue to run the same sets over and over... here's a novel idea.
    CALL A ****ING TIME OUT AND REGROUP YOUR KIDS!
    How many times does it have to happen?

How many times do you have your players lose Martin before you need to stop, regroup and adjust?

Stop stomping up and down the coaching box flicking your wrist and yapping out on the court at your players.
    Call a time out (you don't get any points for turning them in after the game), touch base with your assistants and be a leader for your players.

I know there was foul issues with JB and ES, but if you have trouble recognizing that Ricky Torres was severely over matched from a physical, athleticism and ability compared to the Memphis guards, you need to set a LASIK appointment ASAP. He looked like a HS player on the floor compared to the Memphis guards. Play the foul prone players unit they either drop from exhaustion or foul out.
    It was that obvious.

The fact that Penny out works you on the sideline is enough of a statement alone.

Think about that for a minute....

Penny made better coaching adjustments that you.

Scary.

That is all.
    Lets inject some facts into this conversation. You are carrying on as if Memphis went on this giant run and we weren’t able to answer back because of how HCGM managed his timeouts. That notion is simply not what happened. We did come back. We went on a 9-0 run and cut it down to 2. The irony of your point is that two of our major screw ups- the dex and then the Erik foul- came following timeouts. Also, Martin is averaging 30.7 in his last 7 games. It is naive to think that calling a more timely timeout would have stopped him. Wouldn’t you be willing to bet that all those other teams who Martin lit up has coaches who uses timeouts in the way you just expressed you would prefer?

Also, Penny ain’t out coaching anyone. Anyone who was at the game and had a view of the Memphis huddle during the timeouts saw that Mike Miller was running a lot of them. Especially down the stretch. They also have a former NBA head coach on their bench. Penny is a face and a name. The real coaching is being done by others. Furthermore, having a guy that another coach (josh pastner) recruited who has being going off for 30+ in every game lately shouldn’t be confused as a dude making better coaching adjustments than his opponent.

Comment

1989 commented
      Editing a comment
      They had a guy who almost dropped 40 AGAIN and we didn’t. Not exactly my idea of outcoaching.

• shock
      shock commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah that wasn’t a product of coaching. They had 2 plays that worked coming out of a time out. The rest was find Martin.

• proshox
      proshox commented
      Editing a comment
      ShockRef’s point went clear over your head. It is much easier to win a game if you never give up a lead.

Erik let Martin get on track. HCGM admitted as much during and after the game.

We had no point guard in the court while Memphis pressed.

There were more issue, but a timeout was needed.

• We held Martin to 8 points in the first half, then let him go off. Something changed. Whatever it was, was the reason we lost. We let one guy beat us.

Comment

• shock
      shock commented
      Editing a comment
      Martin went off when dex got his 3rd foul

• 1. Marshall waited too late for McDuffie to guard Martin. Martin was eating up everyone else-Duff slowed him down. By then, it was arguably too little too late.

2. Zone? I understand we had a couple in foul trouble and you want to give the other team different looks...but Memphis tore it apart and got great looks. Marshall stayed in it about 2 possessions too many.

The Shocks did make a lot of “not smart” plays, including questionsable shot selection. But the two coaching decisions above also contributed to the loss.

Comment

• shock
      shock commented
      Editing a comment
      Dex held martin to 8 points. Dex picked up his third and relaxed his d and martin went off. Duff had 1 good series on Martin.

• Are there any other players on this team that can defend a tough quick guard on the other team besides DD? IF so , I haven't seen it. Maybe JB but certainly not SHJ, RT, and ES. And all of them have to continue to learn to guard without fouling. DD better spend this summer improving his dribble.

Comment

• We lost this game because of stupid play!

stupid fouls
    stupid shot selection
    missed bunnies
    stupid missed defensive rotations
    ill timed turnovers
    stupid flops

We have to play smarter if we want to win against good teams.
    While I probably would have called a timeout during the Memphis run, they sure came in handy at the end of the game. No outcoaching from my perspective! He will win #300 on Thursday. Players have to make plays. Their players played smarter and earned a good road win. Can’t give up 88 at home and expect to win.

We could have and should have won.

Comment

• 1979Shocker
      1979Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Memphis did some stupid stuff in the first half to allow us to build up the big lead. So it balanced out. In the end, they made the bigger plays.

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
    1. Marshall waited too late for McDuffie to guard Martin. Martin was eating up everyone else-Duff slowed him down. By then, it was arguably too little too late.

2. Zone? I understand we had a couple in foul trouble and you want to give the other team different looks...but Memphis tore it apart and got great looks. Marshall stayed in it about 2 possessions too many.

The Shocks did make a lot of “not smart” plays, including questionsable shot selection. But the two coaching decisions above also contributed to the loss.
    Duff did not slow him down.

Comment

• proshox
      proshox commented
      Editing a comment
      sure... they didn’t pass Martin the ball on two possessions were McDuffie guarded him, McDuffie blocked him on a third, forced a pass in the fourth. I think Martin got one bucket when McDuffie was trying to recover from a press.

• Dex may improve his handles. He needs to. Rashard Kelly did that over the course of his career. McDuffie has not, though

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post
      More HCGM stubbornness on full display tonight.
      When you get outscored 24-9 coming out for the second half and continue to run the same sets over and over... here's a novel idea.
      CALL A ****ING TIME OUT AND REGROUP YOUR KIDS!
      How many times does it have to happen?

How many times do you have your players lose Martin before you need to stop, regroup and adjust?

Stop stomping up and down the coaching box flicking your wrist and yapping out on the court at your players.
      Call a time out (you don't get any points for turning them in after the game), touch base with your assistants and be a leader for your players.

I know there was foul issues with JB and ES, but if you have trouble recognizing that Ricky Torres was severely over matched from a physical, athleticism and ability compared to the Memphis guards, you need to set a LASIK appointment ASAP. He looked like a HS player on the floor compared to the Memphis guards. Play the foul prone players unit they either drop from exhaustion or foul out.
      It was that obvious.

The fact that Penny out works you on the sideline is enough of a statement alone.

Think about that for a minute....

Penny made better coaching adjustments that you.

Scary.

That is all.
      Careful. GM doesn't like criticism .

Comment

• WSU is in the midst of its biggest rebuild in over a decade and are taking teams like Cinci, Houston, and Memphis to the wire.

I’d rather lose a few of these games than beating up on the likes of Drake and Evansville.

WSU would be the top rated team in the Valley right now. Just think about that.
        The Assman

Comment

• Have waited a while to post but here goes:
          -had awesome seats last night due to a friend, second row, under basket near Shocker bench...awesome vantage to see infighting the hoop. They have some men in the post.
          -I seriously could watch Marshall all night...he's a movie by himself...not sure I could play for him, and I had old school tough coaches....he HAS won, though.
          -I h
          guess I don't see MM being a hero ball player...there is a very thin line between carrying a team and hogging a team...I felt he deferred much of the game.
          -SOMEONE on that Memphis bench can coach...they scrap, they take advantage of Martin's ability they, flush, they defend enough.
          -one of the oddest things I've seen is Gregg getting a drink with 5 seconds left and asking JB to move his chair and then kind of staring at him...this of course was the SECOND oddest thing at the water cooler when Lynn shared a drink with the baldheaded ref.

TOO MUCH STUFF TO DIGEST....THAT WAS TUBBY'S TEAM ALL EXPERIENCED THAT WON LAST NIGHT....

Comment

• ricky torres needs to hit the gym after hours and work on his shot.. for hours and hours and hours

Comment

• Shock Top
              Shock Top commented
              Editing a comment
              Might be time to work on his resume too.

• 1979Shocker
              1979Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              When you say hours and hours, it really could mean hours and hours. I mean, how long would it take for Ricky to make 300 3's?

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
            ricky torres needs to hit the gym after hours and work on his shot.. for hours and hours and hours
            They should recruit over him and say goodbye.

Comment

• Dan
              Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              We already have

• A couple on here love to lump JE and AM together, declare a good game by the 5's and move on, and interestingly they are the AM lovers. I give AM credit when he deserves it. He does have some offensive skills, but he was back to being awful on defense last night. Still ranked well below 10% on Defense even after his "best" games of the year. Overall he is miles behind a healthy JE as a player.

Found GM's post game comment: "It is really thin over there when I have to go to the bench" interesting. Seems to indicate that if WSU can find the players, there will be a lot of changes in the off season.

Comment

• Shock Top
              Shock Top commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed with AM. Maybe he can figure out a way to play smarter and position himself better on defense, because he just doesn’t have the athletic ability to keep up with these quicker bigs.

• proshox
              proshox commented
              Editing a comment
              What was the +|- for AM last night?

• Of course the bench is thin. Teddy can't play, Mo is hurt, Chance left. That leaves 10 guys. On of those is Brown, who can't play D-1 (maybe not D-2)

Comment

• shoxlax
              shoxlax commented
              Editing a comment
              You hit the nail on the head. That’s why the coaches have been scouring jucos in Texas and other places to find a stretch 4 or 3 who can board. Remember Teddy hasn’t played a minute for us and he still could be a “house of cards” going forward—hopefully he is progressing past that stage.

AM deserves a place on the team. No one is saying he is better than JE overall but 5s get lumped together the way 3G uses them.
              Unless someone like Dante falls into our lap, which is highly improbable, AM should be an important part of the team the next few years, even as the 11th or 12th man.

• pinstripers
              pinstripers commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree
          Working...
          X