No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Memphis Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to remember back to the start of the second half. Defense is one thing but if I remember correctly nobody but Jaime, Asbjorn and Ricky scored in the first TEN minutes. Can that possibly be true?
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
      Trying to remember back to the start of the second half. Defense is one thing but if I remember correctly nobody but Jaime, Asbjorn and Ricky scored in the first TEN minutes. Can that possibly be true?
      Someone correct me, but I’m pretty sure we only scored five points in roughly the first 1/2 of the second half.

Comment

• It’s almost unfortunate that a timeout wasn’t called when we tied it. Not that we should have called one, but it seemed like we were still in a press, which allowed for a Memphis fast break And-1 dunk. Whether that was the call or whether guys subconsciously didn’t realize that we tied it and still thought we needed to pressure, I don’t know.

Again, I don’t think we should have called one (maybe more wishing that Memphis did), but in retrospect, a catch-your-breath break might have been helpful to reset after completing that comeback.
        78-65

Comment

• Have to just keep plugging away. 2 steps forward, 1 step back.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Someone correct me, but I’m pretty sure we only scored five points in roughly the first 1/2 of the second half.
            We were at 49 before the ten minute mark. 5 by JE and 4 by AM. Possibly Ricky got one of his baskets before we got to 10 to go.
            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Really overall we didn’t have too many turnovers, it was just when we turned it over. But missed kimmes underneath the basket and bad shot selection is a turnovers that doesn’t show up and we had several of them. How many games have we lost at the free throw line? Too many.... we had a good assist to shot made ratio, so that’s a plus. Don’t think the seniors understand what a assist is, too bad because it would really help open things up instead of forcing contested shots. If we can win the next four which are very winnable that would be sweet. Coach really sounded frustrated after the game just like us fans...

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Lomax did not make plays to lose his team the game tonight.. JB fouled a 3point shooter, made silly charges , and constantly fouled and took our team out of rhythm. Still I like him better than Lonax, but Lomax played smarter tonight. Sometime the goal of the quarterback is to manage the team and not make mistakes.
                Lomax played 22 minutes with 6 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist. (with 4 of his points from FT and he shot 20% from the field).
                Burton played 19 minutes with 10 points, 4 rebounds, 9 assists (with 2 of his points from FT and he shot 50% from the field).

Lomax didn't make plays for his team to win either.

Comment

• Shock Top
                  Shock Top commented
                  Editing a comment
                  But..... fouls?! Lol

• shoxlax
                  shoxlax commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The thing Lomax would have brought was a game ready PG at the first of the season since that is the only position he has ever played. He may have been surpassed eventually but remember ALo was released thus we signed Ricky. It’s really not an either or with he and JB but more with Ricky.
                  Last edited by shoxlax; February 23, 2019, 11:03 PM.

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

He needs to send Tubby a thank you card, along with half of his salary, for having Martin on the team this year.
                Martin is the kind of player that can make a mediocre team look good. Once he gets hot he is hard to stop. He also makes a coach look good too. He can put the ball in the basket we need more players like that. Our guys don't go to the cup with authority. No wonder we don't shoot free throws.

Comment

Martin is the kind of player that can make a mediocre team look good. Once he gets hot he is hard to stop. He also makes a coach look good too. He can put the ball in the basket we need more players like that. Our guys don't go to the cup with authority. No wonder we don't shoot free throws.
                  I wonder how many guys we would have had like Martin if our system allowed it...

Comment

• Eric's defense was not the problem tonight - Eric was a positive factor tonight. Our centers
                    both played well. SHJ and RT were bad on both ends - THERE was the problem. SHJ's
                    atomic bomb was a killer and once again MM had ZERO assists........ZERO

Comment

• More HCGM stubbornness on full display tonight.
                      When you get outscored 24-9 coming out for the second half and continue to run the same sets over and over... here's a novel idea.
                      CALL A ****ING TIME OUT AND REGROUP YOUR KIDS!
                      How many times does it have to happen?

How many times do you have your players lose Martin before you need to stop, regroup and adjust?

Stop stomping up and down the coaching box flicking your wrist and yapping out on the court at your players.
                      Call a time out (you don't get any points for turning them in after the game), touch base with your assistants and be a leader for your players.

I know there was foul issues with JB and ES, but if you have trouble recognizing that Ricky Torres was severely over matched from a physical, athleticism and ability compared to the Memphis guards, you need to set a LASIK appointment ASAP. He looked like a HS player on the floor compared to the Memphis guards. Play the foul prone players unit they either drop from exhaustion or foul out.
                      It was that obvious.

The fact that Penny out works you on the sideline is enough of a statement alone.

Think about that for a minute....

Penny made better coaching adjustments that you.

Scary.

That is all.
                      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• ShockerFever
                        ShockerFever commented
                        Editing a comment
                        "Calling timeouts are a sign of weakness"

• Nice of the human embodiment of hubris to stop by. Must have needed a break from all those $10K decisions.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post

Lomax played 22 minutes with 6 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist. (with 4 of his points from FT and he shot 20% from the field).
                        Burton played 19 minutes with 10 points, 4 rebounds, 9 assists (with 2 of his points from FT and he shot 50% from the field).

Lomax didn't make plays for his team to win either.
                        Agree that Lomax didn't make plays for his team to win either but he played 22 minutes. That's more than our starting pg and he did not make dumb plays. He did not do anything that hurt his team. JB did. Lomax team won. We needed JB to play smarter tonight. He did not get the job done.

Comment

• proshox
                          proshox commented
                          Editing a comment
                          He actually made a few winning plays. He drew a crucial charge and finished an “and1” in crunch time

Agree that Lomax didn't make plays for his team to win either but he played 22 minutes. That's more than our starting pg and he did not make dumb plays. He did not do anything that hurt his team. JB did. Lomax team won. We needed JB to play smarter tonight. He did not get the job done.
                        Not saying JB was perfect. But imagine how bad we would have lost without him at all. Would have been a lot more of RT and SHJ

JB doesnt get majority of the blame on this one
                        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• I gotta admit, the Mike Miller led Memphis Tigers were tougher than I thought. There are rumors of Miller taking an NBA job. Who coaches the team then?

So Jeremiah Wonder Boy Martin puts 37 on us at home? Was anybody guarding him at all? I don't think he gets 37 against me.

Watching the first half I was content that my instructions made it to the coaching staff and players. Mark was passing the ball (almost to a fault) and everybody was jamming it down low to the big men. Eventually we went a little cold and the "stars" began jacking us straight outta the game. Mark's first made 3 of the 2nd was met with a big personal clap and sigh of relief. It was clear he was seriously concerned about his hit percentage in front of the scouts.

The key for us tonight was when the lead was slipping away to not get frustrated and continue to play team ball. This is a game of runs and they weren't going to fold like some Valley team (or Houston last year). We have much more to learn but I like the effort.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Working...
                          X