Wichita State at USF Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

The one good thing about this one game is that it was one game.

Honestly, we’ve only had a couple s*** show games this year where it was embarrassing. A lot of other games have been what we could have expected four months ago. Some others have been MORE than we could have expected.
    Yep, it will be interesting to see how this team responds at UConn on Saturday. Maybe tonight was just a night when everybody played lousy at the same time. Concerned that the team is losing what little confidence it may have had. We'll see.

Just not sure we are a TEAM this year. Just a collection of guys who don't really know each other very well. Perhaps this game will the catalyst to pull the team together. Hopefully, it doesn't have the opposite effect.

Comment

• Who is the emotional leader of this team? For some reason I could see ES taking that role.

Comment

• We played awful. I think im just going to try and wait to judge the season as a whole. My hope is that we have some more games like the last 2, and fewer like tonight.

Recruiting needs to focus on shooters. Some shooters and then finally some shooters.

If we can find some shooters that would be good as well. Last resort would be to find some pure shooters and absolute last resort, some guys that all they can do is shoot.

once you get some guys that can shoot, then we can focus on finding some guys that don't miss layups.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
          SHOCKvalue commented
          Editing a comment
          Any thoughts on free throw talent?

• ShockerPrez
          ShockerPrez commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't get greedy!

• 12eagle
          12eagle commented
          Editing a comment
          Ding ding ding, we have a winner. There is one shooter on the entire team.

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
        Who is the emotional leader of this team? For some reason I could see ES taking that role.
        He is definitely a leader or soon-to-be leader, but he's not allowed to lead since he's just a dumb freshman. That role belongs to McDuffie, where he clearly looks like a guy that leads a team (in points).
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Get real-time COLLEGEBASKETBALL basketball coverage and scores as Wichita State Shockers takes on South Florida Bulls. We bring you the latest game previews, live stats, and recaps on CBSSports.com

Comment

• TheShocktocles
            TheShocktocles commented
            Editing a comment
            One issue that sticks out is our strength of schedule. I don't know how we ended up with 11 toughest schedule in the country with all these young guys. For example look at strength of schedule for Houston, Cincy, and UCF. Hopefully we can get a better handle on that for next year. The team next year will still need some time to grow.

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            The tough schedule might have worked if we had LS, AR and AL (and of course TA) - I know, I know, if ifs ands and buts were candy and nuts...

• PG is the core problem. We have several options. The ones that can halfway run an offense can't shoot. So the defense collapses. The one that can shoot.... Sometimes.... Can't run an offense so that's all he does

Comment

• Things could be worse, we could still be in the MVC. Heard they are way down this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
              PG is the core problem. We have several options. The ones that can halfway run an offense can't shoot. So the defense collapses. The one that can shoot.... Sometimes.... Can't run an offense so that's all he does
              I wouldn't call a 36% FG and 31% 3pt FG shooter a shooter, but yah, I get what you're saying.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• GGG said, prior to the ball ever being tipped in their first AAC matchup, that everyone has to up their game to match the new level of competition, including all of the coaches. That being said, it gets kinda tiresome listening to the coache(s) constantly say our guys just aren't doing this or that, or, "man, we're just such a young team."

Stepping up and owning it, as the captain of the ship, might be the best way to start seeing positive signs of improvement. In my opinion whatever steps our coach takes going forward, one of them needs to be going easier on the kids, and not harder, a la R. Smithson.

:beaten:

Comment

• I’d at least like to see some adjustments made. Watching the same thing fail over and over isn’t that fun.
                  The Assman

Comment

• pinstripers
                    pinstripers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't think "adjustment" is in our vocabulary

• Dan
                    Dan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep, throw out all biases, Shake them up in a bag and try something different. And I’m not talking about changing out the small forward. Major wholesale lineup changes.

• rjl
                    rjl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nah, let's save those 4 timeouts for after the game.

• Was anyone at the game to assess this theory?

Places like Koch are difficult places to play because the crowd is insane. There are other places that can be tricky for the opposite reason. There were times in the Valley where WSU struggled on the road because they played in a morgue...the UNI Dome comes to mind.

Might that have been one of the issues tonight (yes, of MANY)? There didn’t seem to be much energy in the building. Young teams need to learn to make their own energy.

(Apologies If this has been mentioned.)
                  78-65

Comment

• The Shockers shooting was just so shockingly poor tonight. 15-53 (28.3%), 2-18 (11.1%) and 9-22 (40.9%).

That is hard to fathom. Perhaps some credit goes to USF's defense but they weren't that good.

Comment

• rjl
                      rjl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Whoever had the scout for this game blew it. The first half was us standing around and doing nothing but playing one-on-one from the perimeter.

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    The Shockers shooting was just so shockingly poor tonight. 15-53 (28.3%), 2-18 (11.1%) and 9-22 (40.9%).

That is hard to fathom. Perhaps some credit goes to USF's defense but they weren't that good.
                    Unfortunately USF defense doesnt explain 40% ft

Comment

• First game in a while that I had to stop watching because I didn’t want to throw the remote through the tv. Bad effort and plenty of blame to go around for sure. I don’t understand why people are ready for players to be cut though. You can count on one hand the schools that could play a bunch freshman and first year D1 players and still play at the highest level. It’s the schools that have shoe reps buying them players.

Yes, they play dumb at times while lacking effort at others but they’re being asked to do too much too early out of necessity. That type of situation would expose most freshman. We’re definitely missing some pieces, but like it’s been mentioned before, those pieces involve a player now in the NBA, OU transfer, a decommitted player, and one denied waiver. Tonight was horrible, but we’ve been competitive in all but this game and maybe Memphis. These past several games, I think most of us thought we were turning a corner and then the shitshow tonight makes us forget. This team still has a great potential, I just don’t think it will fully manifest this season. It’s going to take baby steps.

Comment

• The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results. HCGM needs to reevaluate his lineup and if he’s got guys who aren’t doing what he’s asking or that are not performing, it’s time to put someone in there who will at least buy in. If seniors need benching, then so be it. What do we have to lose at this point?

It’s time to take a step back and realize that SHJ cannot run this offense. I don’t care if Torres and burton aren’t “shooters”. Guess what, SHJ isn’t a shooter either. Well, maybe he is a shooter but he’s not a maker so it can’t get worse. MM and SHJ aren’t leading this team on the court.

Way too many threes for a team shooting so poorly yet they keep shooting threes. It’s completely insane. Torres might not shoot but he seems to be able to run an offense that looks fluid and at least somewhat organized.

Having said this, I’m still of the belief that the talent is there and the future is bright. We just need a new direction in offense.

Comment

Working...
                        X