No announcement yet.

Shocker Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it was on Friday night people would be complaining about missing their kids high school football game. If it was on Saturday people would complain about missing the KU / KState / OU / ... football game. If it's on a Sunday people would complain about missing the Chiefs game. I think thursday is as good as any other day.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan
      Freakin Thursday. How stupid is that? We won't get 5k - 6k...because of the fact it's on a Thursday alone. Hello 2,000 people.
      It is done with a purpose. Someone has an agenda of getting rid of the free Shockermadness. When this is not well attended, they can say "look nobody really cares about this even, we had almost as many people for our paid shocker madness event so lets just get rid of it".

Comment

Originally posted by dregn
        If it was on Friday night people would be complaining about missing their kids high school football game. If it was on Saturday people would complain about missing the KU / KState / OU / ... football game. If it's on a Sunday people would complain about missing the Chiefs game. I think thursday is as good as any other day.
        If you think that the attendance on a Thursday for this event would be the same as "any other day" like Saturday you are nuts. I realize you can't please everyone. But you can at LEAST try and make it to where as many can/will show up as possible.

I think you are onto something SB Shock.
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

We get a free look at the team. We get to see the team in a way that's unique and not possible in games. We get a full 40-minute scrimmage.

This is the only opportunity for a lot of people to see the team in person because of the cost of season tickets.

And people are complaining because the timing might be inconvenient and they want a better deal. I can't imagine the reaction if it were at midnight on the first official day of practice.

The worst thing I can come up with is that parking on a school night leaves a lengthy walk - but I imagine most of us could benefit from a nice walk.

It's free. It's the equivalent of watching two upper-tier Valley teams play each other. It's an opportunity to see the reserves and deep reserves.

How has Orukpe progressed?
          How are the Fr looking?
          Is White looking as good as his Parade AA status indicates?
          How does Baker look against players at a totally different level than he's faced before?

These and many more questions get at least at least a glimpse at an answer - and it's one of the few opportunities this year to see enough of those guys to form an opinion.

When you are given something with that much value - and it's free - that's not the time to look the gift horse in the mouth.

If only 4,000 or so people show up, the only thing it really means to me is that I get to sit a lot closer than I ever could hope to at a game.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
            We get a free look at the team. We get to see the team in a way that's unique and not possible in games. We get a full 40-minute scrimmage.

This is the only opportunity for a lot of people to see the team in person because of the cost of season tickets.

And people are complaining because the timing might be inconvenient and they want a better deal. I can't imagine the reaction if it were at midnight on the first official day of practice.

The worst thing I can come up with is that parking on a school night leaves a lengthy walk - but I imagine most of us could benefit from a nice walk.

It's free. It's the equivalent of watching two upper-tier Valley teams play each other. It's an opportunity to see the reserves and deep reserves.

How has Orukpe progressed?
            How are the Fr looking?
            Is White looking as good as his Parade AA status indicates?
            How does Baker look against players at a totally different level than he's faced before?

These and many more questions get at least at least a glimpse at an answer - and it's one of the few opportunities this year to see enough of those guys to form an opinion.

When you are given something with that much value - and it's free - that's not the time to look the gift horse in the mouth.

If only 4,000 or so people show up, the only thing it really means to me is that I get to sit a lot closer than I ever could hope to at a game.
            :good: :wsu_posters:

Comment

Choice in night will limit people. Please explain how a thursday could be a good choice over having it on a Saturday? This athletic department continues to amaze me.

Stupid argument. WSU has not held it on midnight, the fact is they have been doing it on Saturday evenings for how many years?

You bring up another good point why it is stupid to have it on a Thursday night.

No, what it really means if it not well attended you will not get your free event in the future.

Comment

Perhaps the thinking is that they have held it on Saturday's in the past and are only getting 4,000 - 4,500.

I would prefer a Saturday night, but OTOH we had very few Saturday games on the schedule last year and that didn't really effect attendance.

My guess is that regardless of when they hold it they will get around 4,000.

This schedule probably impacts the Shocker Women more so then the Men. On a Saturday a lot of folks might get there in time to see the Ladies scrimmage. On a Thursday night I would expect a much later arriving crowd.

I suspect that the primary decision maker on the scheduling of this event is 3G.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 18, 2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Saturday nights seem to have not been a problem in the past. Why the change?

Seriously.. a Thursday night? :roll: :roll: :roll: Just another questionable PR move..

By the way, if the World Series went to a Game 7, it would be on this night.. :roll: :roll: :roll:

The only plus side is the scrimmage time is up to 40 minutes. That's great. Maybe the whole package will be better put together. But man, this timing is going to kill a decent turnout IMO.

You are right '72. At least we have some notice.

I can't imagine the reaction if it were at midnight on the first official day of practice.
                  That would be flipping awesome. Hence the term "Midnight Madness".. Put that on that Friday night and I bet we get a lot more of a youthful presence in the building. I'd take that over Thursday nights EASILY.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Once again I seem to disagree with the shocker net team....

40 minutes of basketball is a huge improvement. That change alone could justify a Tuesday morning time slot.

Most people have legitimate functions to attend on Friday and Saturday nights. This may actually improve attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
                      It is done with a purpose. Someone has an agenda of getting rid of the free Shockermadness. When this is not well attended, they can say "look nobody really cares about this even, we had almost as many people for our paid shocker madness event so lets just get rid of it".
                      So, this is one step in an insidious conspiracy? Who is this "someone?" I have a guess and the first twenty don't count. SB, "your act is about as fresh as a Foghat concert."
                      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Choice in night will limit people. Please explain how a thursday could be a good choice over having it on a Saturday? This athletic department continues to amaze me.

How many people in this thread were complaining because they already had plans for all the Saturdays in October? More people have things scheduled for Saturday than for Thursday. Getting home at 10 (in Wichita) shouldn't be a problem. Out of town people driving in can still be in bed by midnight - even with a 1-1/2 hour drive. Out of town kids have a problem, but that's probably .01% of the attendees at this event.

Stupid argument. WSU has not held it on midnight, the fact is they have been doing it on Saturday evenings for how many years?

Many BCS schools have Midnight Madness. My perception is that it's actully a college basketball tradition to invite the fans in for the first practice that starts at 12:01 AM on the first day of practices. I think "We've always done it that way" is a stupid argument.

You bring up another good point why it is stupid to have it on a Thursday night.

Right. It's stupid to require people who probably need exercise to get some. Woe is me, I have to walk from Eck to Koch. That sounds more like someone looking for a something to complain about than about a real problem.

No, what it really means if it not well attended you will not get your free event in the future.

So, if this event isn't well attended the geniuses in the athletic department will decide that charging money for admission will solve the problem? My degree required me to take Economics classes all the way up to Econ 201. My vast understanding of Economics indicates that when you don't get a lot of takers when you're giving something away, you will not increase participation by charging for the same product.

Comment

More people have things scheduled for Saturday than for Thursday.
                          Really, please tell me how you know this?

Many BCS schools have Midnight Madness.
                          How many? What %?

So, if this event isn't well attended the geniuses in the athletic department will decide that charging money for admission will solve the problem?
                          LOL. Only in your world.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox
                            Once again I seem to disagree with the shocker net team....

40 minutes of basketball is a huge improvement. That change alone could justify a Tuesday morning time slot.

Most people have legitimate functions to attend on Friday and Saturday nights. This may actually improve attendance.
                            I am in the same boat. I tend to disagree alot with typyical shockernet thinking. We havent shown up for saturday nights with one week notice. Why not give 3 weeks notice,change to thursday night and make it a 40 min scrimmage. I personally have to work. wish i could be there. i like the move though. I personally hope that they get to the point where we scrimmage at midnight first day of practice. just a big tradition with college basketball

Comment

More people have things scheduled for Saturday than for Thursday.
                              Really, please tell me how you know this?

Many BCS schools have Midnight Madness.
                              How many? What %?

So, if this event isn't well attended the geniuses in the athletic department will decide that charging money for admission will solve the problem?
                              LOL. Only in your world.
                              Please stop trying to demonstrate and prove that you are (edited by author). It is out of character for you.

Comment

I'm a bit disappointed in the Thursday scheduling. I won't be going because I have no babysitter and my wife has a job-related activity that night. Bummer. I don't think a 5 moth old would be able to sit through a 40 minute scrimmage, though her father would love to! I expect a full report folks!

...the first Shocker Madness I've had to miss in about 5 years. Bummer.

Comment

Working...
                                X