No announcement yet.

Shocker Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went to Saturday morning's VIP practice and also Madness. I agree with most everything posted here, but will add my interpretation obtained by combining both the practice and Madness.

Someone mentioned 3G railing off at Wessell and then forgetting that happened and praising him. That aspect of 3G was really, really evident at practice. 3G can scream as loud and have bulging veins like a monster north of us, but none of the physical aspect. The former is due to solely to a "teaching moment," nothing else.

Ede seems to me to be having a difficult time learning what 3G is teaching. He received a lot of "attention" at the practice, as did Wessell. Wessel seems to get through it better.

Orukpe played very well in the second half of the scrimmage. On the south end, he really made somebody alter what was going to be a layup into a nothing shot. He played absolutely like there was no hope when he committed 7 fouls in about 6 minutes. Like Marshall said after Saturday, if he could pl;ay consistently like he practiced the first 1.5 hours today, Garrett might be coming off the bench. But, EO plays like that sometimes, and others like he is a "newbie." We saw both Thrusday night.

Cotton has a presence. He doesn't DO anything to attract attention or praise, but he doesn't DO anything to attract negative feelings either. Solid presence. I think he has very good quickness, mostly seen on Saturday.

Ragland was very solid, in command, leading the younger kids and directing the team on Saturday. When he concentrates, he is an outstanding 3-pt shooter, but IMHO seems to get into a sort of lull where he doesn't quite focus on technique and finish the job.

Stutz is a leader. Not just an All-Valley center, but a consummate team leader.

Murry just has so much ability and it just doesn't seem to escape from his body. Someday it's going to. He stayed one hour after Sat practice with one of the managers and worked on his shooting (I am guessing it was shooting because he was finishing up when we arrived). But it didn't appear to be hang around and throw it up at the hoop. The manager was sweating a good bit, so I believe the hour was a focused workout.

Hall loves contact. Offensively, he takes it right into Garrett's body. When he learns 3G system, he will set some mammoth screens.

That's about it.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Carl Hall set a pick that when Baker hit him Baker bounced about 2 feet and his head snapped backwards. If he gets any better at setting screens and picks there are going to be some very sore players after contact. Theirs and ours.

Comment

• Wessell is far and away a better athlete than hatch could ever dream of being.

There is a place for him on this team.
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
          I hope I am dead-dog-wrong, but if we are depending on EO starting next year, we are in a world of hurt at the 5. Plus, we have another unproven project in Henry Uwadiae on his heels. We have to get a non-project big to occupy the post.
          We've been at least sniffing at a few 2012 centers.
          In the fast lane

Comment

• Help this old guy who has CRS.

Did Stutz play every minute of Madness? Did he have ZERO or ONE foul? I don't recall a foul, but maybe he had one early.

If he didn't play EVERY minute, he had to be close. Even though it was a running clock, that is still a very good sign as to his stamina.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
              Help this old guy who has CRS.

Did Stutz play every minute of Madness? Did he have ZERO or ONE foul? I don't recall a foul, but maybe he had one early.

If he didn't play EVERY minute, he had to be close. Even though it was a running clock, that is still a very good sign as to his stamina.
              He had one that I know of, played most, but not all. I think he sat for 2 or 3 mins at one point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                He had one that I know of, played most, but not all. I think he sat for 2 or 3 mins at one point.
                He had one of his typical silly foul in the first 20 minutes. Remember he was playing a great deal against EO...not a good measuring stick unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                  He had one of his typical silly foul in the first 20 minutes. Remember he was playing a great deal against EO...not a good measuring stick unfortunately.
                  EO uses his body fairly well. He didn't try to score against Garrett, but there were no fouls when fighting for position.

Comment

• Hall was very effective at taking the ball at Stutz.

Put me in the group that would rather have EO, but feels good about Hall being able to play both the 4 and the 5.

Comment

• EO is an athletic beast that no other team in the Valley can match. Stutz is a big step above EO. There's not another team in the Valley that wouldn't take EO in a heartbeat. The only thing keeping EO from developing is "in game" minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
                        EO is an athletic beast that no other team in the Valley can match. Stutz is a big step above EO. There's not another team in the Valley that wouldn't take EO in a heartbeat. The only thing keeping EO from developing is "in game" minutes.
                        Outstanding comment. How much better was POB for Bradley in 2005-6 than EO would be for us next year if he had to play 25-30 minutes this year (to gain experience)? My money would be on EO.

Would MSU take and start EO this year if we gave him to the Bears? Drake? UE? The Redbirds?
                        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
                          Outstanding comment. How much better was POB for Bradley in 2005-6 than EO would be for us next year if he had to play 25-30 minutes this year (to gain experience)? My money would be on EO.

Would MSU take and start EO this year if we gave him to the Bears? Drake? UE? The Redbirds?
                          Have you seen him play this year yet?
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            Have you seen him play this year yet?
                            It's probably not smart to judge his ability off of one scrimmage. Even Marshall has said that he has great practices and some bad practices.

I'm excited to see how he will play on the court and how he has developed since last year. Put me in the "wait and see" group. I'm not in love with the guy, but I haven't given up on him like @SHOXMVC: has. Hopefully, the game slows down for him this year and he is more acclimated with the fast pace and of course fouls less often because of this. Dinma Odiakosa progressed rather slow for the Redbirds when he played. He was definitely not a fan favorite his first two years of playing. Not that they are one and the same, but they may develop in similar fashion.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxFan963 View Post
                              It's probably not smart to judge his ability off of one scrimmage. Even Marshall has said that he has great practices and some bad practices.

I'm excited to see how he will play on the court and how he has developed since last year. Put me in the "wait and see" group. I'm not in love with the guy, but I haven't given up on him like @SHOXMVC: has. Hopefully, the game slows down for him this year and he is more acclimated with the fast pace and of course fouls less often because of this. Dinma Odiakosa progressed rather slow for the Redbirds when he played. He was definitely not a fan favorite his first two years of playing. Not that they are one and the same, but they may develop in similar fashion.
                              They are not one of the same. First it's very hard to compare Dinma with EO as GS and Durley play(ed) ahead of EO. That being said, I'm not sure how any redbird fan would have not liked what Dinma had done. Yes, he did little his freshman year and didn't play the next year. However, there was nothing slow about his progression. By his sophmore year he was playing 22 mpg, with 5.5 rpg, FG% of .570, and 6.9 ppg; junior year 26 mpg, with 7.5 rpg, FG% of .618, and 8.7 ppg. I hope GS, much less EO next year, can match Dimna's senior year of nearly 30 mpg, 8.7 rpg, FG% of .611, 12.8 ppg, and only 2.7 PFpg playing those 30 minutes a game.

So far it is very safe in saying EO and Dinma are not one and the same.

Comment

• He is better. How much better, is a matter of opinion. I would say he is quite a bit better.

Comment

Working...
                                X