Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WstateU
    commented on 's reply
    More MTXE; specifically around the 4 minute mark.

• WstateU
    commented on 's reply
    True MTXE here; the crew completed the decals in 4 mins. :)

• N Crestway
    commented on 's reply
    Had to google MTXE. Have to believe that "Mental Toughness Extra Effort" probably does encompass "Play Angry". Great acronym...

• C0|dB|00ded
    commented on 's reply
    Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
    Ahhhh... that should be good for now. I'll check back in a couple days lol.

T

...:cool:
    Okay, now I'm really gone.

T

• C0|dB|00ded
    commented on 's reply
    CB can pull 'em outta hiding lol!

Your cover's BLOWN Shockm! Now 'Fever's gonna chase you around the block like a rabid pit bull for the next couple years.

T

• C0|dB|00ded
    commented on 's reply
    Loved me some Casey Crawfish! 6'9 250lbs with a pretty soft shot. Turgeon loved him too, that's why he was willing to commit an NCAA violation working with him outside of practice. Ooops!

Casey would have been a good player for us in the MVC. BCS body through and through. There's a reason the B12 and ACC took a flyer on him. His only problem was he had a silver spoon stuck firmly inside his caboose.

Look at him now... a published lawyer.

T

• C0|dB|00ded
    commented on 's reply
    I'll take either one this year...

T

• ShockerFever
    replied
    Originally posted by Shockm View Post

You’re not an expert even if you say you are. You are as Full of **** as the day you fell in LOVE with Casey Crawford LOL who was a bust. You do love to know others are interested in what you have to say. :)

Im sure Marshall had high hopes for last year. Why else would he have gambled on so many Seniors that causes problems that live onto this year. Nevertheless, he is the best Shocker coach ever and deserves our faith to bring us back to glory. However, he loves to win more than I do and if he had a choice to have twice the wins we have now and a Top 15 ranking over a 130 KP ranking and sinking, he’d choose Winning just like I do. By the way, I also mentioned the winning seasons prior to last year that led to our being the Top Ranked non football playing school in the country. I’m glad to know you claim to love the losing we are going through over that.
    Casey Crawford.. wow. That's taking it back.

What was your old screen name?

Leave a comment:

• wusphlash
    replied
    If the Internet had existed in Middle Earth would Gollum have responded to his own posts?

Leave a comment:

• ShockTalk
    replied

I don't think MTXE and Play Angry are wholly interchangeable. I don't have a lot of recollection of the early 80's Shocker basketball so hopefully others chime in. I would say that X and Carr personify Play Angry mentality but weren't forced to go ape-**** crazy on the floor diving for lose balls and frenzied defensive efforts.

Gregg Marshall has always taught Play Angry basketball but it was given the name by Carr in 2012. Perhaps Marshall had another name for his style at Winthrop?

I will say this, I don't know of any Shocker at Wichita State that executed Play Angry with more consistency than Baker, VanVleet, Cotton, and Wessel. Those kids NEVER took a shift off. It's harder for me to judge big men as Play Angry is most noticeable and effective around the perimeter. The point being to disrupt the offensive flow until it cascades into a total failure in the paint. The big men are just there to pick up the ball, protect the rim, or go hard for the rebound after desperation shots late in the clock.

Hmmm... maybe Play Angry could be described as a guard-orientated methodology. That's why Marshall overrecruits on guards as he MUST have the right mix for his system to work. Having multiple PG's playing also help as a part of his offense is predicated on Play Angry turnovers. He needs competent ball-handlers on both sides of the court.

T

While I liked the Play Angry mantra (primarily because AC coined it), I've always thought the MTXE approach was more encompassing. Play Angry doesn't necessarily scream Play Smart which I think Mental Toughness includes. Metal Toughness not only means, to me anyway, knowing and execution of the plan, but don't get rattled by the other team and being able to play through adversity. eXtra Effort is the extra pass, blocking out, getting the loose balls, giving more (smartly) at all times. Or as Jimmy V said, "Don't give up, don't ever give up".

This also encompasses what I think MTXE means:

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied

Play Angry is not just a mantra...

I'm glad you enjoyed last season as I was miserable. I hated how we won. Gregg Marshall did too as he said so continuously. I saw major cracks for the first time in our team's collective mental resolve. It appears that what I saw last year has became a harbinger of where we are now. I wouldn't have bet you even a dollar that we'd be soft again this year though - especially with Jans's assistant. I'm actually as surprised as I am dismayed.

T

You’re not an expert even if you say you are. You are as Full of **** as the day you fell in LOVE with Casey Crawford LOL who was a bust. You do love to know others are interested in what you have to say. :)

Im sure Marshall had high hopes for last year. Why else would he have gambled on so many Seniors that causes problems that live onto this year. Nevertheless, he is the best Shocker coach ever and deserves our faith to bring us back to glory. However, he loves to win more than I do and if he had a choice to have twice the wins we have now and a Top 15 ranking over a 130 KP ranking and sinking, he’d choose Winning just like I do. By the way, I also mentioned the winning seasons prior to last year that led to our being the Top Ranked non football playing school in the country. I’m glad to know you claim to love the losing we are going through over that.

Leave a comment:

• C0|dB|00ded
    replied
    Ahhhh... that should be good for now. I'll check back in a couple days lol.

T

Leave a comment:

• C0|dB|00ded
    commented on 's reply
    I've already said that lol. A beta-blocker would quickly knock the Play Angry out of our coach. :(

Nobody lives forever. And NOBODY can coach like Gregg Marshall forever. The man had his nose broken twice... he's a pitbull through and through.

T

• C0|dB|00ded
    replied
    Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
    Is there a difference between "play angry" and "MTXE"? What about the 2005/2006 and 2011/2012 teams who were successful in their own right but certainly lacked monikers defining their style of play? Oh, and should there be an asterisk beside the 2012/2013 team regarding their 4 losses to Evansville and a Charmin soft Creighton team?
    I don't think MTXE and Play Angry are wholly interchangeable. I don't have a lot of recollection of the early 80's Shocker basketball so hopefully others chime in. I would say that X and Carr personify Play Angry mentality but weren't forced to go ape-**** crazy on the floor diving for lose balls and frenzied defensive efforts.

Gregg Marshall has always taught Play Angry basketball but it was given the name by Carr in 2012. Perhaps Marshall had another name for his style at Winthrop?

I will say this, I don't know of any Shocker at Wichita State that executed Play Angry with more consistency than Baker, VanVleet, Cotton, and Wessel. Those kids NEVER took a shift off. It's harder for me to judge big men as Play Angry is most noticeable and effective around the perimeter. The point being to disrupt the offensive flow until it cascades into a total failure in the paint. The big men are just there to pick up the ball, protect the rim, or go hard for the rebound after desperation shots late in the clock.

Hmmm... maybe Play Angry could be described as a guard-orientated methodology. That's why Marshall overrecruits on guards as he MUST have the right mix for his system to work. Having multiple PG's playing also help as a part of his offense is predicated on Play Angry turnovers. He needs competent ball-handlers on both sides of the court.

T

Leave a comment:

• pinstripers
    replied
    I always thought that HCGM needed to get on some meds, before he had a stroke on the sideline. Perhaps he is now on them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X