Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rjl
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, let's leave that hanging and continue the thread you started bashing a bunch of teenagers for losing their "edge."

Funny, I didn't mention you by name in my original post, but you sure seem awfully triggered.

• C0|dB|00ded
    commented on 's reply
    Don't be embarrassed, I had no idea either. I'm not going to inquire as to why rjl is up on all the latest teenage social media trends. Let's just leave that one hanging shall we?

T

...:cool:

• 1972Shocker
    commented on 's reply
    Would it be embarrassing for me to admit I don't know what a teenage instagram influencer is? I have heard about teenage mutant ninja turtles though.

• choida
    replied
    I'm not totally surprised by the butt kicking... After Baylor... Most the players drank the Kool aid and thought they were better then they really are.

Leave a comment:

• C0|dB|00ded
    commented on 's reply

No personal insults! Stay on topic kthx.

T

• rjl
    replied
    Some of you guys are more emotionally unstable than a teenage instagram influencer. Ironically, a good portion of you are the same subset of people who like to throw around the term "snowflake" as a pejorative.

I'd tell you to chill out, but, to be honest, it's quite hilarious to watch. So keep it up; I'm sure it's accomplishing everything you hoped it would.

Leave a comment:

• insaneykaney
    replied
    I don't think this team has lost its edge. I think this team is still discovering who they are. You can't lose an edge you've never found. I think because of our mix of youth and talent, we can and will look like world beaters one night, and a little boy lost in a huge department store the next. Someday it won't be like this. That's where sound, quality coaching comes in. Cut down on the time it takes to establish an identity, and then walk in it consistently. We have quality coaching, but we haven't given them enough time yet. Be patient, good to great things are on the way!

Leave a comment:

• Shock Top
    replied
    Time for a little intervention with Big Dawg and X-MAN?!

Leave a comment:

• ShockTalk
    replied
    Originally posted by Husker4Shockers View Post
    I'm just a little worried about the chemistry on this team. I think it's obvious there were problems last year, and I'm concerned this year too. I noticed that Markis made a free throw and only Samajae went up to give him the typical hand slap. The mutual love and support among our players used to be evident; just wondering if there are personality issues. etc.
    I believe these kids are shell shocked. When do you think the last time was any of them played on a .500 team, faced a 2nd half barrage like Baylor, or took a beatdown like OU.

Hopefully, their eyes are more open to the reality of who they are (young and unexperienced) and they can man-up to who they can be by hard work, great effort, and a desire to learn. None of them, none, are above this or not a part of the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
    The ball has to move around the perimeter AND inside out to spread the court and to make the defense
    work. When our post players do make good moves and don't get rewarded they are less likely to do it again.
    When players move without the ball to get open and/or make a sharp back door cut and don't get the
    ball then they are less likely to do it again. Our lack of an effective post up game and the lack of
    successful back door plays are sure indicators that something is wrong regardless of talent level. Look at
    really good teams and they do both well. All five players have to see the court, move without the ball and
    keep the ball moving around the perimeter, as well as, inside out. One or two players trying to create for
    themselves boggs this process and the offense down.
    We tried ALOT to get the ball into the post Saturday. Most of them ended up in turnovers. Either due to someone fumbling the ball, a bad pass, a shot getting blocked or someone shooting it into the bottom of the goal.

There is a lot to work on but I don't think its a lack of trying for the right plays. They just didn't execute those Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• OregonShocker
    replied
    I don't see this as anything but a young, inexperienced team lacking an understanding of what it takes to succeed at the next level. It may not work itself out this year to allow a "successful" season, but I'm not worried for the long term. This year may be bad turbulance, but the flight path still looks strong.

Leave a comment:

• proshox
    commented on 's reply
    Good points- where do we stack up in next year's American? Is the American going to be at least a 4-5 bid league?

I assume Cincinnati, Houston, UCONN, and Memphis all have legit shots of being in the 2020 NCAA Tournament.

• C0|dB|00ded
    commented on 's reply
    "The Edge" (Play Angry) was gone shortly after last season began and hasn't been back on a consistent basis since. We play like sissies and then the coach sits at the press table looking and acting mystified. This is reality.

I thought the hiring of his ex-PG from Winthrop and Jans's assistant would bring back an immediate sense of urgency but it hasn't. The newcomers this year will undoubtedly get better as the season wears on but if they aren't playing like hardened warriors by now after a summer of practice and a quarter of live games completed...

Sure we're going to win more games this year and even look good doing it but Play Angry basketball is not about looking good, it's a mentality, an energy that propels the Shockers to wins regardless if they are executing or not. It's the ability to use physical force/effort to change the tide of the game and impose our will.

Last year our defense was miserable, this year our defense is slightly less miserable and our rebounding is horrific. Those aspects of the game are instilled with a little careful instruction and a lot of threats and punishment. They do not require Freshmen to become Sophomores. Marshall had the Shockers Playing Angry within a couple games of arriving at Wichita. We didn't win many games that first year and I criticized him greatly for that but I hadn't developed a taste for Play Angry basketball at that point and all I could see was a parade of jacked up 3-balls with no semblance of organized offense. By year two he was keeping the margin under 10 against schools like #5 Michigan State as was already mentioned.

Many centuries from now great Shocker historians will attribute Saturday's loss to youth and inexperience, but the blowout will be attributed to a lack of mental effort and proper management.

This will be my last comments on this thread.

T

Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; December 10, 2018, 12:26 PM.

• asiseeit
    replied
    The ball has to move around the perimeter AND inside out to spread the court and to make the defense
    work. When our post players do make good moves and don't get rewarded they are less likely to do it again.
    When players move without the ball to get open and/or make a sharp back door cut and don't get the
    ball then they are less likely to do it again. Our lack of an effective post up game and the lack of
    successful back door plays are sure indicators that something is wrong regardless of talent level. Look at
    really good teams and they do both well. All five players have to see the court, move without the ball and
    keep the ball moving around the perimeter, as well as, inside out. One or two players trying to create for
    themselves boggs this process and the offense down.

Leave a comment:

• Husker4Shockers
    replied
    I'm just a little worried about the chemistry on this team. I think it's obvious there were problems last year, and I'm concerned this year too. I noticed that Markis made a free throw and only Samajae went up to give him the typical hand slap. The mutual love and support among our players used to be evident; just wondering if there are personality issues. etc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X