Black and Yellow Scrimmage scouting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 - AM, Udeze and JE
    4 - MM, RB maybe Chandler..........with TA available MM probably starts at SF instead
    3 - DD, CM
    2 - ES, CM
    1 - SMJ, Torres and JB...........all three will get their chance. We need a floor general.

Attended the public scrimmage.
    1. I like Burton with his court vision, strength and size at point.
    2. thru 5. I have no idea, but I like Moore's length from outside and hopefully Dennis' ability take over the role that Tekele Cotton had.

Not mentioning any names, but a couple of players were just out of control offensively and I would hope it was just nerves.

From what I saw at the exhibition, whoever can defend, will play.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post
      5 - AM, Udeze and JE
      4 - MM, RB maybe Chandler..........with TA available MM probably starts at SF instead
      3 - DD, CM
      2 - ES, CM
      1 - SMJ, Torres and JB...........all three will get their chance. We need a floor general.

2. thru 5. I have no idea, but I like Moore's length from outside and hopefully Dennis' ability take over the role that Tekele Cotton had.

Not mentioning any names, but a couple of players were just out of control offensively and I would hope it was just nerves.

Too early to say this for sure but I remember the Randy Smithson years when we couldn’t put the ball in the hole and we played hard on defense and had low scoring games(which we lost). Now we fouled too, but the point is you have people who can score. Teddy could help on that too.

Comment

trrfw.jpg
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• OregonShocker
          OregonShocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Especially this year. I have to keep flipping back and forth from this board to the MBB roster page... and sometimes I'm still not sure

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry @VShocker(1), not trying to be an ass, but we've seen a lot of initials used recently with the new players. We all know you're a good egg... welcome back!

No offense to Randy Smithson, but I cannot compare Smithson's style of coaching with Marshall's in any way. They're night and day. The level of talent is quite a bit different as well, even if much of it is in their first season of D1. I have ZERO expectations about the upcoming season, other than the fact that they will play hard, maybe with a bit of a chip on their shoulder having been picked 8th (seems a bit low based on Marshall's history), and it will probably be filled with some "oh my" moments (both good and bad).

Comment

No offense to Randy Smithson, but I cannot compare Smithson's style of coaching with Marshall's in any way. They're night and day. The level of talent is quite a bit different as well, even if much of it is in their first season of D1. I have ZERO expectations about the upcoming season, other than the fact that they will play hard, maybe with a bit of a chip on their shoulder having been picked 8th (seems a bit low based on Marshall's history), and it will probably be filled with some "oh my" moments (both good and bad).
          It would be crazy to compare Smithson's style of coaching to Gregg and no one has done that. If you read the statement, the comparison only was in regard to a lack of scoring power. Our young team may suffer from a lack of putting the ball in the hole from time to time. I even remember Gene Smithson's team (with Cliff Levingston, and Antoine Carr and possibly the greatest Shocker ever) sometimes have a long dry spell from scoring. That is where youth, bad decision making, and a lack of confidence happens. Gregg can teach but he only the players can go on the court.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

It would be crazy to compare Smithson's style of coaching to Gregg and no one has done that. If you read the statement, the comparison only was in regard to a lack of scoring power. Our young team may suffer from a lack of putting the ball in the hole from time to time. I even remember Gene Smithson's team (with Cliff Levingston, and Antoine Carr and possibly the greatest Shocker ever) sometimes have a long dry spell from scoring. That is where youth, bad decision making, and a lack of confidence happens. Gregg can teach but he only the players can go on the court.
            Gregg gets credit for the wins. He also gets credit for the losses, as few as they may be.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The Randy days typically had about 3 total guys on the team that could legitimately score. The rest of the guys were just fillers and defensive muscle.

Comment

5 - AM, Udeze and JE
                3 - DD, CM
                2 - ES, CM

Wait, what? Could it be?

Is this the reincarnation of the original JVShocker?

I thought he was lost, but now is he found?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Wait, what? Could it be?

Welcome back JV!!! Good to see ya again!
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I nowhere convinced this team cannot ans will not score. Not based on one 20 minute scrimmage where many of the players had not played before 1,000 fans before.
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• I haven’t gotten a chance to see the team in person so my opinion is based on clips I’ve seen and observations shared...

It seems we have both scorers and defenders, but no one who essentially does both well at this stage. I hope we’re not choosing between one or the other all year. I am optimistic. A big part of effective defense is effort. Our players have the physical tools. HCGM isn’t going to let them play if they’re not showing that effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

I nowhere convinced this team cannot ans will not score. Not based on one 20 minute scrimmage where many of the players had not played before 1,000 fans before.
                        I think that’s pretty much what I said. I’m concerned because this is a young team (and I’ve seen very talented, young teams with this fault before) but a 20 minutes scrimmage may not tell us enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Wait, what? Could it be?

Yep.:wsu_posters:

Comment

Working...
                          X