No announcement yet.

Black and Yellow Scrimmage scouting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is the last time anyone went to one of these events and honestly thought to themselves, “dang, the Shocks are really going to clean up this year”?

They almost always look mediocre, regardless of the season that follows.

Comment

• pinstripers
      pinstripers commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty much every year, IIRC

• wusphlash
      wusphlash commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty much the nature of intrasquad scrimmages

I know it’s a preseason scrimmage, but I am wondering how the decision not to redshirt AM will look given the progress, or lack there of, he’s made.

Comment

• Aargh
      Aargh commented
      Editing a comment
      I've run into some fans who think AM did not redshirt because he's not at the level where 5 years of scholarships would be warranted with his abilities on the court.

There were three guys who rebounded well. Udeze had 5 rebounds (2 offensive) in 11 minutes. Teddy had 7 rebounds and Mittgard had 6. Rebounds and defense will make a big difference in who is in the rotation, especially for Bigs. MM needs to improve his rebounding. However the offensive rebounds mean that the opposite (defensive)player probably didn’t screen them out

Comment

Maybe I missed something but why did Ricky Torres not suit up and play today?

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        Maybe I missed something but why did Ricky Torres not suit up and play today?
        It explains it in this article. Knee injury not thought of to be serious.

Video highlights, Taylor’s takeaways from Wichita State’s black-yellow scrimmage

"He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I concur with most of what 1972 posted. Pretty spot on. I'll add that, right now, we have no "go to" guy.
          MM remains a mystery to me. Good defensive player and rebounder but very average offensive skill
          sets. If TA is eligible he will play more than 20 minutes at power forward and lead the team in garbage
          points. He is not pretty but very effective. In today's game perimeter scoring / outside shooting is a must
          and more so with this team because outside of TA I don't see any reliable post up players..........yet.
          Despite ES' 0-4 shooting he has a good looking shot. Mark my words he is a good shooter and, perhaps,
          our best outside threat. I think he and CM will be 1-2 in 3 pt shooting this season. In all, I think this years
          team is going to rely much more on defense. Don't think we saw them really crank it up yesterday. I am
          not expecting them to be the half court offensive machine we have had the past couple years so they will
          have to defend, rebound and beat the other team down the court before they set up to be successful.
          I think there are going to be a lot of up and down games. We will look dynamic at times and bad at others.
          Get ready for a roller coaster season. 18-19 W's I think and NIT.

Comment

MM is a second fiddle player, always has been. He is at his worst when he thinks he has to be a playmaker. My concern with him coming into the season was him thinking he has to be James Harden. MM will be just fine so long as he plays the 4, takes open shots, hustles for rebounds and defends the glass. Also, We had two guys sitting out that could be significant players on the team. IPBC has some serious skill that doesn’t get much run here.

Comment

• proshox
              proshox commented
              Editing a comment
              Spot on. His ceiling in that role is very high.

• Shockm
              Shockm commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. Offensive rebounds will result in more points for MM. If he can score 10-13 points and get 7-8 rebounds a game along his good defense, will be a good result and he is capable of doing that.

• TheShocktocles
              TheShocktocles commented
              Editing a comment
              Totally agree about IPBC. Watch his senior mix tape two years ago. He can dunk, rebound score through contact, shoot midrange and three pointers. But he needs to grow up. Horsing around on your day off and getting a concussion is just dumb as coach said. This team needs everybody to play to their potential to keep the NCAA streak alive.
              Last edited by TheShocktocles; October 7, 2018, 02:09 PM.

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
            When is the last time anyone went to one of these events and honestly thought to themselves, “dang, the Shocks are really going to clean up this year”?

They almost always look mediocre, regardless of the season that follows.
            The defense knows what the offense is doing so it isn't a true test. However, GM does have his work cut out this year because scoring could be a problem in tight games. Defense should be a strength. The offense is why I do think that Samajae will be a part of the rotation. He will have off games too but he can put it in the hole in a variety of ways. I think that as time goes on, he will not take as many early shots. But yesterday, he took 3-4 shots with less than 5 seconds to go on the clock, and I heard a couple of groans behind me, and those late shots are shots he should take.

Comment

• Slykryck
              Slykryck commented
              Editing a comment
              Put it in the hole in a variety of ways...I’m no where near mature enough to read that.

Based on yesterday, who is the starting 5? (No Teddy)

Comment

• Aargh
              Aargh commented
              Editing a comment
              Midtgaard. Maybe there was something going on with Echenique that limited his contributions and playing time, but he made Wamukota look like an All-American when he was in the game.

fwiw, ES was not a fantastic 3-pt% shooter in highschool, but very acceptable after his freshman year.
            Year 3-pt 3-pt att 3-pt %
            '17-'18 91 243 0.374
            '16-'17 65 192 0.339
            '15-'16 53 134 0.396
            '14-'15 26 99 0.263

Chance Moore in 2016-17 senior year
            Year 3-pt 3-pt att 3-pt %
            '16-'17 36 98 0.367
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
              Based on yesterday, who is the starting 5? (No Teddy)
              I think the better question is what three players will be on the outside of a ten man rotation looking in? Because that piece usually gets settled early in the season based on past experience. Starters and minutes played will be anybody’s guess for the first month.

Comment

5 - AM, Udeze and JE
                4 - MM, RB maybe Chandler..........with TA available MM probably starts at SF instead
                3 - DD, CM
                2 - ES, CM
                1 - SMJ, Torres and JB...........all three will get their chance. We need a floor general.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                  5 - AM, Udeze and JE
                  4 - MM, RB maybe Chandler..........with TA available MM probably starts at SF instead
                  3 - DD, CM
                  2 - ES, CM
                  1 - SMJ, Torres and JB...........all three will get their chance. We need a floor general.
                  5 - AM, Udeze and JE
                  4 - MM, RB maybe Chandler
                  3 - DD, CM..........with TA available DD probably starts at SG instead
                  2 - CM, JB
                  1 - Torres, SHJ, and JB...........all three will get their chance. We need a floor general.

Made a few changes. ES looks like the least likely guy to be ready for D1 ball this year - at the positions available to him. We love his attitude, but attitude doesn't put points on the board. He might emerge as a Wessel type and demand court time by doing a lot of little things, but the competition at his possible positions includes some absolute jocks who are probably more accustomed to playing against a higher level of competition. I don't see Stephenson taking minutes away from Burton, Moore, or Dennis.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

There has been a lot of love and excitement for EJ on here since day one. The guy seems like the ultimate competitor. It’s early, but I’ve heard nothing that says he’s going to be a huge contributor yet. CJ Moore said on the Play Angry podcast that the game hasn’t slowed down for him yet. Given he is one on the youngest players (one of few if not the only player to not take a prep year), I wonder if he’s a candidate to redshirt.

Comment

Starting center is anyone’s guess. I imagine it will be “who had the best week in practice”. One of the four will spend a lot of time on the bench. May not be the same guy for the whole season.

McDuffie at the 4 with Rod backing him up.

Dennis and Moore will play both wings.

SHJ starts at the 2, but will play some 1.

Torres will play PG.

Burton is the wild card. He will get plenty of PT. Ideally he will back up Torres at PG (although he could also play the wing), where SHJs height won’t be an issue defensively.
                      Last edited by wufan; October 7, 2018, 01:27 PM.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                      X