Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    While at first it didn't seem like Austin's move to OU appears to have been a win-win for both sides. However, there is no assurance that Austin would have helped that much last year. Most of the shots he would have taken would have come at the expense of two seniors. Not sure what that would have done for team chemistry (which from what I could tell didn't seem to be great anyway) and perhaps his relationship with those two seniors wasn't great although that is speculative on my part.

As it stands right now the Shocks are doing very, very well with an exciting young team that gives great hope for the next few years. This would not have happened without the major turnover 2 years ago with Landry, Austin, CJ joining 6 departing seniors not to mention replacing 2 assistant coaches. Not to mention having to replace Teddy, Ricky, Chance and Rod in addition to the 2 seniors last year.

Think about it. Turning over 15 scholarship players and 2 assistant coaches in 2 years. Quite frankly I think Coach Marshall has done an amazing job recovering from that turnover. Perhaps as impressive as anything he has done during his tenure at Wichita State. And kudos to his assistant coaches as well. Give those guys a raise.

Shocker fans certainly have reason to be happy with where we are. Austin Reaves apparently is happy with his decision. Landry certainly made the right decision. At this point I consider it win situation for the Shocks and apparently Austin thinks he is in a better place as well.

Time for Shocker fans to look forward but you may need some sunglasses.

As one of the great philosophers of our time said: Don't worry, be happy!
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 18, 2019, 10:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rocky Mountain Shock
    replied

Please Baby Jesus, make this thread stop

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    He would've helped us last year, no doubt, we needed his scoring and experience. This year, different story. Austin struggles to get open and he doesn't really play D. These things wouldn't help us this year when we have numerous other guards that can do both of these things. He's not really a PG but he's most effective at point because he controls the ball and take take whatever shots he wants. That wouldn't help us at all this year, we need a PG that can distribute. I don't think anyone is saying he's not good, but he doesn't fit with our team. He would be great at a place like Evansville who is happy to ride one guy.

Leave a comment:

• Awesome Sauce Malone
    replied
    Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

He's good .. but he's not a fit for WSU with how he wants to play. That's obvious. Someone on the OU board said it well ... Kruger needs to remind him he's not Kobe
    Depends on what you mean by fit. Does he fit with this team? Absolutely not. Would it have been nice to have his shooting last year in the place of other players who struggled? Sure.

IMO the trade off for the Freshmen gaining experience was worth it to me as a fan.

Leave a comment:

• wichshock65
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post

I have to admit, I did enjoy reading some of the comments. It's pretty clear, OU is definitely a football school. Not a lot of BBIQ in that thread although there does seem to be one guy, despite his rants about Lon, who understands the value of bringing in JUCO talent. But how about the poster who is only interested in local talent? LMAO.

Now I just want to know, which one of you f*@&3rs is WichitaSooner?!!!
    Cold

Leave a comment:

• KraRam
    replied
    Originally posted by Shocker1388 View Post

Damn so now we can’t boo a player that decided to leave!? Lmao talk about SENSITIVE!!!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Bluzrover
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan View Post
    I have to admit, I did enjoy reading some of the comments. It's pretty clear, OU is definitely a football school. Not a lot of BBIQ in that thread although there does seem to be one guy, despite his rants about Lon, who understands the value of bringing in JUCO talent. But how about the poster who is only interested in local talent? LMAO.

Now I just want to know, which one of you f*@&3rs is WichitaSooner?!!!

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
    So now we've gone from 'Traitor" to "He wasnt very good anyways"

The entitlement in this thread reeks
    He's good .. but he's not a fit for WSU with how he wants to play. That's obvious. Someone on the OU board said it well ... Kruger needs to remind him he's not Kobe

Leave a comment:

• MoValley John
    replied
    I watched Austin play last night. In person. He didn't get booed until the second half. That was when his play became unbearable. He didn't score much until the second half. Almost all of his scoring was from the free throw line, he couldn't make a shot from the floor all night.

I'm not dogging on the kid, but he doesn't do much on defense and he doesn't share the ball, or much else. From my vantage point, he was a liability to Oklahoma.

Rarely Rarely ever do I have ill will towards a college athlete, and I don't towards him, but watching a lot of Wichita State and seeing him play in person, he does not fit the Shocker mold.

Leave a comment:

• Awesome Sauce Malone
    replied
    So now we've gone from 'Traitor" to "He wasnt very good anyways"

The entitlement in this thread reeks

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    Originally posted by MadDog View Post
    Was watching Reeves vs CU tonight. To use an old school term, he’s a hot dog. Maybe a poor mans Pistol Pete or something. Lots of fancy through the legs dribbling that’s fun to watch, but rarely seems to result in anything positive for the team. Also has never seen a shot he didn’t like. I can’t really think of a comparable college player today, he’s kind of unique.

I also noticed he was getting booed at CU. I would expect he gets booed a lot this season on the road. One of those kind of guys that if he’s on your team you love him, if he’s your opponent you hate him.
    for good or bad, Reaves is at his best as a one man show. He’s not good at getting open so he needs to have the ball in his hands and he needs to take the shots. it’s not good for the team if you’re not super athletic like Trae Young. He would’ve been a lot better in the 1970’s like Pistol Pete.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerFever
    replied
    Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    If I were asked to make a list of the absolute dumbest things a college basketball player could possibly do. Things that would almost certainly have a bad outcome...

...dating the coach's daughter would be way high on that list. That would be right up there on the dumb scale with having an affair with your CEO's trophy wife.
    Sounds like you just heard about news that was about 2 years old. And congrats on airing it out here too.

Bad decisions were made by a lot of parties. I'm sure Maggie is a perfectly innocent person in all of this because her last name is Marshall, amirite?

Leave a comment:

• C0|dB|00ded
    replied
    Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    If I were asked to make a list of the absolute dumbest things a college basketball player could possibly do. Things that would almost certainly have a bad outcome...

...dating the coach's daughter would be way high on that list. That would be right up there on the dumb scale with having an affair with your CEO's trophy wife.
    Imagine the excitement though - getting to bang the daughter of the guy that bangs you in practice. Kind of an erotic Karmic payback of sorts.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying Arseton banged anybody's daughter, I'm just taking Aargh's lead and running with it because it afforded me the opportunity to once again, crack myself up and hopefully at least one other.

T

Leave a comment:

• C0|dB|00ded
    replied
    Originally posted by MadDog View Post
    Was watching Reeves vs CU tonight. To use an old school term, he’s a hot dog. Maybe a poor mans Pistol Pete or something. Lots of fancy through the legs dribbling that’s fun to watch, but rarely seems to result in anything positive for the team. Also has never seen a shot he didn’t like. I can’t really think of a comparable college player today, he’s kind of unique.

I also noticed he was getting booed at CU. I would expect he gets booed a lot this season on the road. One of those kind of guys that if he’s on your team you love him, if he’s your opponent you hate him.
    People used the Pistol Pete reference when he signed at WSU.

I do believe you're correct about him being a player the opposition loves to hate. I remember him getting under the skin of more than one opponent on occasion when he played for us. It likely exacerbated the image problem he had during his homecoming last Saturday. He's got a chip and it came back to haunt him when he tried using it while dealing with the Marshall's.

He got the last laugh though... right?

T

Leave a comment:

• Aargh
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X