No announcement yet.

Austin Reaves transferring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering how many kids transferred from Indiana because of Knight's antics ? I just don't buy that AR
    transferred because of GM's deportment when both HE and the coach are so admired. I think it is more
    reasonable that GM laid the law down to everyone that he is going back to an emphasis on defense and
    AR figured that wasn't his own strong suit and needed to go where shooters over defense meant more.

Comment

• Shock Top
      Shock Top commented
      Editing a comment
      Larry Bird didn’t like it. That’s how he ended up at ISUb.

• proshox
      proshox commented
      Editing a comment
      Enough to finish up at Texas Tech and become more a joke than an icon.

• Downtown Shocker Brown
      Downtown Shocker Brown commented
      Editing a comment
      Larry Bird chose Indiana first. It wasnt coaching, it was various factors.

• I was kind of confused when in the course of mini resurgence, ala the victory in Cinci, as to why GGG put Austin back on the bench. Maybe he, and others, felt it was a bad decision? Just sayin'.

Comment

• He sent Reaves to the bench after the road UCF game... And that was when our "troubles" started.. Anyone else wanna chime in or elaborate/discuss

Comment

• Growing pains
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Gregg and Austin are both very well-loved and revered by the Shocker fan base.

Gregg and Austin are neither sinless people, and are both subject to making bad decisions, or being imperfect people psychologically at times.

Not mutually exclusive concepts.

Comment

• I have no idea why this played out the way it did. But both parties can still win in this scenario: AR finds what he’s looking for and we do as well. I not only hope that happens, but I hope both parties learned something from this and apply it going forward.

On the bright side, despite coming off the largest March disappointment and our largest reload in some time, I’m as excited as ever for the damn season to get here.

Comment

• Has coach or Reaves officially came out and said anything as to "why" he wanted to transfer out? I don't think playing time was gonna be an issue for him. This just seems super weird.
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by choida View Post
                He sent Reaves to the bench after the road UCF game... And that was when our "troubles" started.. Anyone else wanna chime in or elaborate/discuss
                My memory was that in the last games in the NCAAT, AACT, and Several games prior, AR was ineffective offensively. His ultra hot streak of 6-7 games had come to an end.

Comment

• It's simple to me...lotta new faces... Going back to defense and rebounds.... reloading comes with players not buying into the next phase or change of guard

Comment

• It would be refreshing to go back to balls-to-the-wall defense.

Comment

• the temperament issue fits really well with what happened during the season and after the season, and with the change in assistant coaches. Marshall is not a "nice guy" during practices. Some who have been at practices (when they were not supposed to be there) have reported that it takes incredibly thick skin to put up with Marshall during practices.

That issue would also fit in with Brett Barney leaving.

If Reaves had announced he was going to Arkansas, or Arkansas State, or even a small college in Arkansas, it would be a matter of being closer to home and an environment he was more familiar with. That's not what seems to be happening. Something happened at WSU that caused Reaves to feel he'd be happier elsewhere. It's really unlikely that was associated with other players, since most of them already left. That leaves something other than the players in the basketball program that caused Reaves to look for another program.

We have a fiery coach. He will never be thought of as a "player's coach". That's likely to be an ongoing issue with some players leaving. The buffers (Heiar and Jans) were gone this year. The coaching staff doesn't have all the roles figured out yet. Recent hires as assistants probably don't have the confidence in their status to handle things the way Heiar and Jans did.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

My memory was that in the last games in the NCAAT, AACT, and Several games prior, AR was ineffective offensively. His ultra hot streak of 6-7 games had come to an end.
                        Austin Reaves had a very bad NCAAT game (as well as anybody not named CF).

Otherwise, AR scored in double figures in 9 of the 13 games after the Houston loss (9 out of 14 if counting the NCAAT). His offensive rating was:

Overall: 120.3
                        Conference Only: 128.5

As far as consistency, he was No. 3 on the team behind Shaq and LS. Conner was just behind AR.

Comment

• Austin was really good this year. No matter who we sign we would have been better next year with Austin than without him. I don't know why he decided to leave. I can tell you, when Chris Jans ran practices I was at in past years, he was much tougher than any practices I was at this year. I also was at the Memphis game close to our bench. Zach Brown was starting to take a 3 pointer and 2 of the assistants said no, no, no. Coach Marshall immediately turned and told the coaches to not do that. He said you can't expect him to have confidence in himself if you don't show confidence in him. Coach has very high expectations and is a straight shooter about how he feels, but I don't think he is running players off. Just my observations and opinion.
                          I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
                            Austin was really good this year. No matter who we sign we would have been better next year with Austin than without him. I don't know why he decided to leave. I can tell you, when Chris Jans ran practices I was at in past years, he was much tougher than any practices I was at this year. I also was at the Memphis game close to our bench. Zach Brown was starting to take a 3 pointer and 2 of the assistants said no, no, no. Coach Marshall immediately turned and told the coaches to not do that. He said you can't expect him to have confidence in himself if you don't show confidence in him. Coach has very high expectations and is a straight shooter about how he feels, but I don't think he is running players off. Just my observations and opinion.
                            Have to agree about Jans. I always thought of him as GGG's enforcer, just based off of the visual evidence of him bitc**** players out when they came back to the bench, especially Cle.

Comment

• So, to summarize 16 pages of comments, neither GM or AR has commented publicly on why AR is leaving. Lots of speculation, but no concrete answers.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                                ShockTalk commented
                                Editing a comment
                                And most likely won't be.
                            Working...
                            X