No announcement yet.

Austin Reaves transferring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belittling Austin for leaving is what the other school did to Conner when he left them for WSU. Let it rest people, please.

Comment

• Wish him all the best in wherever he lands. As a Shocker fan, no one person will make or break the program and I want kids who want to be here and be Shockers. Won't hold a grudge or look down on anyone who chooses another path. It's not for everyone.
      "I discovered surfing, which I absolutely fell in love with. That feels good and kind of keeps your body aligned, so does the salt water." - Anthony Kiedis

"I'm not worried. Are you worried? You shouldn't be. Sleep well tonight. "

Comment

• Originally posted by lemuel777 View Post
        Belittling Austin for leaving is what the other school did to Conner when he left them for WSU.
        Is there a lot of belittling going on?

Comment

• Eric
          Eric commented
          Editing a comment
          Really haven’t seen much of that.

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I think it's quite literally a fantastic if not perfect answer. I (takes personal responsibility, doesn't blame others) felt like (says he's using his own emotions and might not be perfect about it) it was (eliminates any chance of backtracking, clarifies his resolve) time to move on (best for both parties, nobody at fault, just the way it is sometimes). Brilliant. I'm not sure what else you could ask from a young man.

I get that everyone wants to know a different reason (what you might refer to as the "real reason") but you JUST READ the real reason. We might think we're entitled to more, but we aren't. Austin (and WSU) are moving on, we should as well, and wish them all the best.

Hell, Austin says we're great and wishes us the best. Can we not do the same without trying to tell him what to say????!
        yes, it was the perfect PC answer. But I’m sorry, I invest a lot as a fan into the team, and I would like to know the actual reason why he’s leaving. I’m not saying he’s at fault, I’m not saying he’s a bad person. But you don’t just up and transfer from a major college program for no reason other than you “felt like it”. I’m not really even saying he has to be the one that gives us this information. It just would be very nice to know.

Comment

• choida
          choida commented
          Editing a comment
          BS... None of any of our damn businesses

• 150946shox
          150946shox commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with choida. None of our business. WSU is a great program. Austin is a tremendous young man. He obviously felt a need to change his plans. Neither he nor anyone else owes me an explanation. My decades of supporting Shocker athletics, season tickets, traveling around the country watching the Shockers, future Shockers, etc. have provided the rewards. I’ve had the thrill of becoming close to some of these players and have been told by some of those why they’ve made similar decisions. However, nobody owes me that explanation.

I’m completely with Doc. My very best to Austin Reeves. I’ll miss him, but will follow his progresss. Due to health issues, I’ll probably not be able to travel to watch him play like I have with some others. Believe me, I’ll be wishing I could.

• I believe that Reaves learned he wasn't a good fit for Marshall's coaching style. I believe Marshall learned that Reaves wasn't a good fit for Marshall's coaching style.

That is NOT anything negative about Reaves or Marshall. That is something that is absolutely going to happen. It's unfortunate when it happens with a player and a coach that fans really like. The best thing to do when that happens is for both sides to admit that "it's time to move on". That's exactly what happened.

It's natural to want to place blame, It's easy to think that either Reaves wasn't tough enough or that Marshall was too tough. While it's easy to think one (or both) of those is true, it's overwhelming that you'd be wrong if you thought either of those was true. Reaves was probably the "toughest" guy on the team last year. Marshall's "toughness" does things like get VanVleet and Baker multi-million $$ contracts in the NBA.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Ok let me sum this up: this is the equivalent to dating that really awesome girlfriend/boyfriend that suddenly decided to break it off and not really tell us why situation. We can't help but endlessly speculate why, or what went wrong. We all lovedl Austin as a player.

There's the typical stages of grief, and then we finally accept it and move on. Austin has, and I wish him the best. We will be ok, even great!

Comment

• Originally posted by Root Angry View Post
            Ok let me sum this up: this is the equivalent to dating that really awesome girlfriend/boyfriend that suddenly decided to break it off and not really tell us why situation.
            So I guess with that analogy we are waiting to see if she going to date your best friend or one of your enemies.....

Comment

• Texas Tech Basketball Linked To Wichita State Transfer
              The Texas Tech basketball team has been linked to Austin Reaves, a forward who has announced his intention to transfer from Wichita State.

The Texas Tech basketball team has been linked to Austin Reaves, a forward who has announced his intention to transfer from Wichita State.

Comment

• I think both the "none of our business" and " we deserve to know" camps are correct. Basically, we need and deserve to know if there's a problem with the basketball dept; coaches, other staff, etc. (Ask how PSU fared after taking the "none of your business" approach). But short of some sort of announcement from him that it isn't about the dept, then the details about why are none of our business. I'm not sure his PC announcement is enough for me to not wonder about assistant coach problems, for instance. And, yes, ask other schools how recently assistants can do things negative to the program without the HC knowing, even to the point of having the HC support until the dirty details are revealed.

Comment

• Shockm
                  Shockm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You didn’t mention proof of Asst. Coaches involvement in Austin Reaves transfer. Until now, Coach Marshall has been accused of abusing or pushing AR out not our Asst. Coaches. This is getting worse with each statement made. This is ridiculous. Players transfer.

• We are butt hurt because we are used to only losing players that didn't play much... Gotta take the good with the bad... We lost a good player in Austin Reaves and his recruitment is showing it

Comment

• Once again (and others than this post today) I see this "butt hurt" fan thing being used. I'm sorry, I don't believe people are butt hurt, but highly surprised and concerned, for both AR and the program. For fans, this was an out of the blue bomb. Not just because he was one who did play more minutes, but because of how, rightly or wrongly, fans looked at him as having a lot of grit and confidence. A player who put his high school team on his back and made everyone better (think FVV type, again probably not fair to AR). Then, at the program's lowest moment in some time, in both on court performance expectation and losing a lot of players, he's gone. Oh yes, and then there was the issue of some sort of tension issue within the program earlier.

You come to a higher profile program, expect fans who are more vested in time, love of the program, and money spent. I'd be hard pressed to find any posts that were unexpected by a strong fan base this large, whether I was another fan, a coach, or a player. To me, this doesn't seemed to be a problem with AR as he is certainly looking at other high profile programs.

Yes, he may be missing very good friends who have left, but he is willing to start completely over, teammates, coaches, and fans, in a totally new place. Another head scratcher for "a reason".

I don't expect to ever know what really happened. I just hope it is isolated and personal, as there was other possible indicators prior to this it was more than this within the program. I wish him well because he is still a favorite and will always be a Shocker (unless he goes to K St, ..... I kid).

Comment

• OregonShocker
                    OregonShocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agree. I don't need to know the specific reason, just that the reason is not related to "staff".

• AR had a good run here. Nothing more nothing less.
                  Time to welcome the new kids and go crazy about them.
                  Not deleting his reverse layup vs Tulsa off my phone though, dammit!
                  For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                  - said no one ever...

Comment

• Austin Reaves has a really cool cowboy sounding name. Sort of like "Lomax is goooone" just has that bluesy vibe, this whole "Austin Reaves is a leavin'" thing really would make a good title for a sad, sad cowboy song.

Auuuustin Reeeeaves is a leavin',
                    but my heart don't waaaaant to follow
                    It's for Auuustin Reeeeaves we're grievin
                    And I can't get my wife to sw ...

Well clearly I'm no song writer but that really would make a good cowboy song title.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      Austin Reaves has a really cool cowboy sounding name. Sort of like "Lomax is goooone" just has that bluesy vibe, this whole "Austin Reaves is a leavin'" thing really would make a good title for a sad, sad cowboy song.

Auuuustin Reeeeaves is a leavin',
                      but my heart don't waaaaant to follow
                      It's for Auuustin Reeeeaves we're grievin
                      And I can't get my wife to sw ...

Well clearly I'm no song writer but that really would make a good cowboy song title.
                      Please finish the lyric...I'm on the edge of my seat,
                      I had hopes Reaves would stay so I could love him Like I did Fred VanVleet.

Comment

• shockrah
                        shockrah commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I wonder if Austin is aware that Dave apologized?

• Hope Austin uses his transfer hiatus to bulk up a little. Also hope he goes to a MVC school because I am still awfully fond of our old conference. We can't know what his upside really is with one year of strength conditioning, but he would be wise to go to a high mid major school, and the MVC has a few of those types of schools. Best of luck at your new school, Austin, and the same for all of the kids who are transferring.

Comment

Working...
                      X