New Schools Named in FBI Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
    Eff all of you Shocker net partisans...lol. But recruiting has always been my problem with Bill Self, not that he is that dirty, just too enamored with one-an-done's and maybe his own ego. Succumbed to the "blue blood" pressure and got greedy and then careless. But he has been loyal to the Kansas program, unlike Roy Williams, so I wish him the best. I think he is probably going to continue to "wheel and deal" at KU for some time to come, and just in the nick of time he is now backed up by a competent Chancellor and AD.
    Most of this is true (he IS dirty; case in point). But I believe, for good or bad, that he'll survive this. The only HOF level coach to lose a job over something like this was Rick Pitino, and he was actually undone by a myriad of offenses, not just the NCAA problem. Calapari, Williams, etc. don't get canned, they get supported. So, Self will likely continue at KU for as long as he wishes.

Comment

• Aargh
      Aargh commented
      Editing a comment
      I think Self is done at the college level. He's facing a total of 5 years of suspension with the current allegations. The NCAA doesn't often have testimony under oath from a court trial. Gassnola, as a booster for KU, is substantially more likely to have testified in a manner as favorable to KU and unfavorable to the NCAA as possible, and it's his court testimony that the NCAA is relying on.

The NCAA needs to make a statement that they can control college sports and that they can be effective. KU got in the cross hairs at the worst possible time.

• OregonShocker
      OregonShocker commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with your last line Aargh, but I think Self/KU will wiggle out of any major suspension other than the typical scholarship/post season ban. They have too much at stake (read: money) not to fight this to a degree that in the end it will be whittled down to PERHAPS an X-month coaching suspension; they'll take that and Self will survive.

• USA Today thinks the NCAA needs to (and will) make an example of Self.

Opinion: NCAA's message to Bill Self: You're a cheater and we want you out of college basketball
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...qpvGO5wRGL5t9Q
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• "If you ain't cheating you ain't trying."

Who said it?

Comment

• Straight up: Unless the NCAA bans blue-bloods from postseason, there will be zero impact.

Scholarship limitations hurt blue-blood schools the least. Fans simply don't care about vacated wins and championships in the past. Show cause orders have minimal impacts on big-name coaches' ability to retain or get jobs.

Even if Self leaves, the culture within the ADs office and the pressure to win that drives the cheating remains in place.

The only hammer the NCAA has that touches all the culprits is stopping schools and fan bases from going to The Dance and thereby keeping athletic departments from enjoying the enhanced licensing revenue; the boost in fan excitement and loyalty; the massive national advertising exposure; and the NCAA shares that come with it.
      “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        USA Today thinks the NCAA needs to (and will) make an example of Self.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...qpvGO5wRGL5t9Q
        Case closed.

Comment

• First step in allowing KU (and others) to continue as usual... I believe this is a record-setting backstroke time.

The NCAA is suspending its deadlines for schools to respond to charges levied by the governing body in the wake of college basketball's corruption scandal.

Comment

• What is the date of the article?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

They don't have to prove without a doubt though .. this isn't a criminal case ...
              No but this is what he is going to hide behind. Self's going to say that the NCAA can't prove that he had anything to do with it. Therefore, he didn't know about it though there is plenty of common sense causation evidence that he either had to have known about it or should have known about it. This isn't much different than Louisville's (Pitino's) defense.

Comment

• The whole purpose of a bag man is to keep the coaches hands clean. Self got busted giving instructions to the bag man. He's toast.

Comment

• Georgia Tech getting hammered for something that isn't nearly as serious as what KU was doing.

Comment

• When I saw the articles on this I was like meh. I've known ChicKUn was a dirty cheater since the beginning of time. What makes me furious is the actions they took against us over the decades... all the while engaging in the exact thing they were accusing us of. That takes crazy balls + sociopathic corruption. Had they just cheated and left us alone, things would be okay. But it was never enough for them.

I would only be satisfied if their program was shutdown permanently.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• KU could be out of post-season play for multiple years, Self gone, loss of multiple scholarships for multiple years, and unable to pay for top talent.

This could have their basketball program on the ropes in 2024 when the B12's GoR with ESPN expires. The harder (and longer) KU fights this, the more likely it is they will be damaged goods if the B12 has realignment issues in 2024.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

KU could be out of post-season play for multiple years, Self gone, loss of multiple scholarships for multiple years, and unable to pay for top talent.

This could have their basketball program on the ropes in 2024 when the B12's GoR with ESPN expires. The harder (and longer) KU fights this, the more likely it is they will be damaged goods if the B12 has realignment issues in 2024.
                        oooo good Point. WSU to the Big 12, KU to the MVC?

Comment

• Aargh
                          Aargh commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I doubt the MVC would take KU. Their football program isn't good enough.

• DJShocker10
                          DJShocker10 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Beat me to the punch!

KU could be out of post-season play for multiple years, Self gone, loss of multiple scholarships for multiple years, and unable to pay for top talent.

By then who knows? Maybe the Valley will take them!
                        Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• But KU probably gets is it has to vacate its last 5 seasons and a 5 year postseason ban retroactive to its vacated seasons.

Comment

Working...
                          X