No announcement yet.

New Schools Named in FBI Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Self and the big middle finger to the NCAA, "you want me, come and get me." :twoguns:

Comment

• Actually ... quite appropriate.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post

Coach Self and the big middle finger to the NCAA, "you want me, come and get me." :twoguns:
        They are comng after him. Huge difference this time around. The NCAA has sworn testimony from federal trials. Since the NCAA does not have this kind of power on its own, they have not had this before. But KU will need to show that the witnesses perjured themselves, otherwise, this testimony will be taken at face value and will not be a he said/he said situation as has happened before with NCAA investigations.

Comment

• I like how he looks like he's smuggling a basketball under his shirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
            This is his video resume for an NBA gig.

Comment

• My money is on the Detroit Pistons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Axe View Post
                I like how he looks like he's smuggling a basketball under his shirt.
                And a Wolverine on his head. Sorry. I couldn’t help it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoneStar48 View Post
                  It would be interesting to see how college basketball has evolved to this state, to see all the partners in crime and how they came to be that. I know it boils down to money, and the money comes from interest and viewership, but how did the coaches and institutions first start in the buying business? It has seemed like the same conferences are always good, get the top tier players, and have the big name coaches. Now, it seems like those coaches are buying players from Gucci and the rest of the D1 institutions get the pick of Target or Walmart for the most part. I know, WSU is getting good players, and so are other schools like Gonzaga, but for the most part, the "best" guys go to the traditional power schools. Or so it seems to me.

There is a part of me that wants to see schools who recruit players who are headed to the NBA in less than 4 years be put in a "true" amateur league, and those, like KU or UNC who are just stops on the path have their own semi-pro league funded by the NBA.

I really don't think anything major is going to happen to KU, although it would make me smile if it did!
                  Not necessarily the "best" go to those schools, but the ones with the highest promotion out of HS.

I don't think placing schools in a seperate league is the answer, but I've thought that a possible fix to the "student-athlete" dichotomy is to fix the number of scholarships and then assign them for either 5 years or until graduation; if you offer one to a one and done then that scholly is locked up for 5 years, regardless of what that player does. This would force recruitment of student-athletes, not just athletes.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

Not necessarily the "best" go to those schools, but the ones with the highest promotion out of HS.

I don't think placing schools in a seperate league is the answer, but I've thought that a possible fix to the "student-athlete" dichotomy is to fix the number of scholarships and then assign them for either 5 years or until graduation; if you offer one to a one and done then that scholly is locked up for 5 years, regardless of what that player does. This would force recruitment of student-athletes, not just athletes.
                    Like the idea, but probably a little harsh. I have no problem with juniors or RS sophomores jumping to pro ball.

Maybe "one and dones" locking up a scollie for 2 years and sophomore/RS freshman locking up an additional year.

I still think more of the burden needs to be on the NBA. Allow players out of high school to "try out" for an NBA roster spot. If they play any NBA games, they're out of being able to play college ball. They can play 1 year of G League or overseas ball and still have college eligibility for 3 years. If they leave after their 1st year of those three, I'd like your idea of the school losing a schollie or 2 the next year.

Comment

• With what California has done I could see a similar situation to what European soccer leagues have done with signing and developing young talent early. The colleges can be part of that system or be glorified intramurals.

Christian Pulisic never had to play for UCLA soccer.
                      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                        With what California has done I could see a similar situation to what European soccer leagues have done with signing and developing young talent early. The colleges can be part of that system or be glorified intramurals.

Christian Pulisic never had to play for UCLA soccer.
                        Oooooooh, you said the S word!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Oooooooh, you said the S word!
                          You could replace it with Tennis. Best players come from the academies and are pro from a very young age.
                          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                            You could replace it with Tennis. Best players come from the academies and are pro from a very young age.
                            Yup. The _real_ academy in soccer isn't state specific though. They have the Development Academy that is nationwide and completely under the USSF umbrella.

Comment

• The baseball model seems to be the one I hear the most about adopting.

The other would be the NBA basketball academies which would take a kid at a very early age and develop them into a legitimate pro candidate while competing against other basketball academies. Similar to what tennis does and what they sort of do in Europe. It also wouldn’t preclude a kid from getting there taking the college route. 25-30 basketball academies with four age divisions—payouts, stipends, prize money all legal. Can get college paid for out of the deal but not eligible to play at a school once enrolled at the Academy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Yup. The _real_ academy in soccer isn't state specific though. They have the Development Academy that is nationwide and completely under the USSF umbrella.
                                Two of my 11 year old’s team mates are participating. My son, meanwhile, is getting some pretty good coaching and enjoys watching the game and listening to coach from the bench. Hopefully it pays off with a scholarship, because I’m pretty sure that with the money we are pouring into soccer, we could pay for his undergrad.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X