X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a shitty 2 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post

Exactly,, whats gonna happen when Pennys local talent dries up in 3 to 4 years. Also you have to do more than recruit local. I think this blows up in their face.
      It absolutely will blow up in their face. For every Hoiberg outcome there are 15 Manning (or worse) outcomes. Then when SHTF with Penny any decent coach will look at the full-retard cra-cra that is the UM admin and boosters and do a nope-nope-nope before contact is even made.

Doesn’t change the fact we just lost a very solid recruit, in a position we have full vacancy, that is very unlikely to be replaced last minute by similar talent.

Comment

• ShockerDropOut
        ShockerDropOut commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree, this blows up big time and for Memphis and sinks the program for many years in the future. Quality coaches will look at what they did to Tubby and then look elsewhere.

I am hopeful that HCGM fills this opening well, but the numbers just arent in our favor to make nearly as big of a splash.

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      Tyler Harris should still be available
      He seem to be most interested in either Memphis, Tennessee or Baylor

Comment

• ShockerDropOut
        ShockerDropOut commented
        Editing a comment
        I would think his interest in Memphis just vanished.

Man this sucks. I get it though. I wish him no ill, just hope we beat Memphis every time we play them and at least make him regret it a bit.

Comment

A little surprised HCGM granted a full release. I wouldn't have. I'd abide by the rule that you can go anywhere else as long as it's not in conference. If it's in conference, you have to sit out.

Guess I'm more petty than he is, though.

Comment

Hopefully Shamet stays one more year and I hope we also sign Serrel Smith.
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
            A little surprised HCGM granted a full release. I wouldn't have. I'd abide by the rule that you can go anywhere else as long as it's not in conference. If it's in conference, you have to sit out.

I think 3G just weighed the pros and cons of releasing Alex and probably made the right decision. He didn't really have much to gain by not releasing Alex and he probably avoids a slew of negative publicity he no doubt would have received had he played hard ball (even if undeserved).

Comment

Should surprise NO ONE.

Anyone know of any good grad transfer pg's?
              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Marshall put out a statement concerning his rationale for releasing ALo. Classy message and all roses for him from a PR perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                  Should surprise NO ONE.

Anyone know of any good grad transfer pg's?
                  shocks02 doing work down in the recruiting subforum, if you want to have a gander.

Comment

The 7’ 4” Conner Vanover was released from his commitment to Memphis. He’s still considering Memphis, but we should totally recruit. Maybe have Tubby talk to him for us. Hell, let’s bring him on the staff. He’s got all the money he wants. It’d be a great way for him to settle a blood feud. Win-win for everybody.

Comment

Best of luck in Memphis - still not ethical on Alo's part or Penny's part...or Memphis...especially in the same conference. I really do not see him being cheered when he plays here.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                        Marshall put out a statement concerning his rationale for releasing ALo. Classy message and all roses for him from a PR perspective.
                        This is a no-brainer. If any kid doesn't want to be somewhere, there is no point in trying to restrain them.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post

I think it's more for the perception...had he hard-balled it, the media would have run with it, and it could scare off other potential recruits. I agree with making him sit a year, but it would hurt the program more than just letting him go, which is a crock of s*@t as well...

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                            1972Shocker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I think he would have sit a year and lost a year of eligibilty if not released. Of course, he could save the year of eligibility if he went to prep school. Bit I agree that 3G would have been made to be the bad guy in this situation.

I may be on an island here...

Yeah it sucks that Lomax is gone, but Marshall has been known to do more with less (eg, Ron Baker, Shaq, any JUCO PG we’ve ever had) when it comes to working with lower star recruits so I’m not ready to set fire to the building. We were supposed to suck after Stutz/Murray graduated, and again when vv/rb left, and again this year. I’ll believe it when I see it. It’s not like we lost Michael Jordan, here. We lost a really good recruit, but there are others. There always are. We now have an open scholarship, so let the man work his magic.

I’m glad to see that at least one of the brand name teams in our conference seems to be turning it around, even if partially at our expense. Will it suck to play against Lomax twice a year? Yep. But having Memphis (and hopefully UCONN) good again will only bolster WSU’s resume. Playing Memphis this year did nothing for us, except provide a land mine to navigate to avoid a bad loss. May as well have been Drake. Maybe with Penny and good recruits, they will be another quality opponent twice on the schedule.

If those teams become good again, it will likely be much harder to win the conference, but that’s fine with me. It means more NCAA bids and better seeds for all. I personally care more about NCAA tournament success than conference accolades. A stronger conference provides more tourney opportunities, more TV $, more NCAA $, and more national respect/recognition, thus stronger recruiting.

Comment

• pie n eye
                            pie n eye commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I’m skeptical that Penny is going to turn around Memphis, no matter what talent they get.

Which is why I’m pissed at the Memphis admin not Lomax. Not only did their admin fire a proven coach, Tubby Smith, after two years they replaced him a former NBA all star with zero college coaching experience. Oh, and that caused the Lomax domino to fall, thus negatively affecting us.

So, now it’s likely, IMO, that Memphis will be down for the foreseeable future which hurts the conference. And we lost a 4* recruit in March which hurts us and in turn the conference. It’s a kick to jewels and a poke in the eye.

That said, we don’t even know how he’ll turn out. He looked awesome on his mix tapes but who knows. He might be more Marcus Liberty than Fred VanVleet. Probably not, but we won’t know til we know. There are plenty of 5’11 ballers out there.
                            Last edited by pie n eye; March 20, 2018, 10:24 PM.
                        Working...
                        X