No announcement yet.

WSU Versus Marshall NCAA Dance Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We will undoubtably score 90 in this game. The only question is can we hold them under 100

Comment

God I hope so LMAO. Look I know our defense isn't what we are used to. But it's still top 3rd in the NCAA. They TAKE 3's and run a fast pace but they aren't the best shooting or scoring team in the country or anything.

They scored over 100 3 times all year.

102-91 vs TN-Martin
      106-70 vs Concord
      103-75 vs Charlotte.

SURELY we don't have worse defense than those 3. Even if we do they allowed over 90 points or more to be scored AGAINST them 6 times.

Surely we have a better offense than most of those.

They are a dangerous team. And we have to come ready to play. But let's not put them on too high of a pedestal.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• ShockerPhi
        ShockerPhi commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for putting my mind at ease. I was having nightmares of them going 60% from three and shooting 30 shots.

Just need to play a little bit of defense...AND REBOUND! The Thundering Herd are HORRIBLE at rebounding (ranking in the 300s, I believe).
      78-65

Comment

• Jamar Howard 4 President
        Jamar Howard 4 President commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, somewhat short team that usually gets outrebounded, sometimes badly.

We got this.

Our Marshall 91
      Their Marshall 79

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
        We will undoubtably score 90 in this game. The only question is can we hold them under 100
        I think some might be overstating Marshall (the opponent) a little beyond the standard “we should probably lend respect to any NCAA opponent” approach. Via kenpom, they are 96th in O and 144th in D, which trails us drastically in O (we’re 5th) and still considerably in D (we’re 107th). So as much as we all have belabored (rightfully) our precipitous drop this season in traditional WSU D, Marshall (the opponent) is still much worse in the same context.

WVU has a much, much tougher 12 in Murray St than we do with our 13 Marshall (the opponent).

None of this is to say we’re guaranteed a win on Friday.

Comment

Editing a comment
          Correct. This is like a typical semifinal in St. Louis. Could they lose? Sure, but WSU is a sizeable favorite.

After some more research on Marshall, feeling better and better about this game. We will kill them on the boards and score a lot of points. They won a lot of very close games against very average teams. The Xavier game was a 15 point game throughout until they let down at the end and let them hit some threes. And Xavier wasn’t even full strength.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

I think some might be overstating Marshall (the opponent) a little beyond the standard “we should probably lend respect to any NCAA opponent” approach. Via kenpom, they are 96th in O and 144th in D, which trails us drastically in O (we’re 5th) and still considerably in D (we’re 107th). So as much as we all have belabored (rightfully) our precipitous drop this season in traditional WSU D, Marshall (the opponent) is still much worse in the same context.

WVU has a much, much tougher 12 in Murray St than we do with our 13 Marshall (the opponent).

None of this is to say we’re guaranteed a win on Friday.
          Cincinnati's opponent in Georgia State is actually ranked nearly 20 spots higher in KenPom than Marshall

Comment

Editing a comment
            Georgia State is one of the best 15 seeds you will ever see. That said, Cincy should outrebound them into oblivion.

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
          After some more research on Marshall, feeling better and better about this game. We will kill them on the boards and score a lot of points. They won a lot of very close games against very average teams. The Xavier game was a 15 point game throughout until they let down at the end and let them hit some threes. And Xavier wasn’t even full strength.
          Exactly. They are probably closest in style and ability as South Dakota St. Who is a good team that gave us quite a game. But even then they aren't quite as good offensively as South Dakota St but pretty even with them on defense:

South Dakota St:
          AdjO - 41st
          AdjD - 148th

Marshall:
          AdjO - 96th
          AdjD - 144th

WSU:
          AdjO - 5th
          AdjD - 107th

Every team in the field is there for a reason and is dangerous in a one and done tourney. But there is NO reason we shouldn't win this game.
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Oh and they finished 4th in the CUSA which, according to real-time RPI, is the 15th ranked conference. We finished 2nd in the 7th ranked conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
              We got this.

Our Marshall 91
              Their Marshall 79
              I think this is pretty spot on

Comment

Nice to get a high tempo opponent. Makes for better entertainment as the rest of the country tunes in to the Shox over extended Friday lunch breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                  Nice to get a high tempo opponent. Makes for better entertainment as the rest of the country tunes in to the Shox over extended Friday lunch breaks.
                  I agree. Gonna be a nice change from some of the AAC games. Should be an exciting pace to watch.

Comment

WSU seems to be the trendy upset pick in the first round.

NYT weights in.....

UPSET SPECIAL: Wichita State is normally the team doing the upsetting. But the Shockers are a No. 4 seed this year, and they drew an unusual matchup in No. 13 Marshall. Under Coach Dan D’Antoni, the Thundering Herd love to push the pace. Wichita could be left gasping.
                    CBS sports
                    As a team, Marshall made 12 of 28 three-pointers, and when Elmore is leading that kind of long-distance attack it's going to be tough to stop in the NCAA Tournament.

Despite being one of the most efficient scorers in the country and a statistically all-time great for Marshall and Conference USA basketball, Elmore might be flying below the radar for a lot of college basketball fans. With the way Marshall coach Dan D'Antoni likes to the push the pace, a top seed could find itself quickly staring down a deficit in the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament.
                    Huggins on WSU vs Marshall matchup

“Wichita State is pretty good,” Huggins said. “That’ll be a hard game, I think. But if Marshall can get them spread, they very well could get them.”

Comment

• Cdizzle
                      Cdizzle commented
                      Editing a comment
                      "Despite being one of the most efficient scorers in the country"

I mean. He can score. For reference, kenPom rates him below Rashard Kelly in ORtg.

I think Huggs needs to worry about Murray State.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The closest team to Marshall in KP that we played was ..... Charleston. Marshall - 114, AdjO - 96, AdjD - 144. Charleston - 120, AdjO - 87, AdjD - 167.

Opposite ends of the spectrum in Tempo (6 vs 324), but that just means they play faster with the same efficiency as Charleston.

Comment

Working...
                      X