Official 2018 Coaching Changes Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fran FraschillaVerified account@franfraschilla Mar 26

.@CoachScottCross was 82-33 last 3 years at Texas-Arlington with wins at Ohio State, Texas, St.Mary’s, BYU twice. AD thought they should be better. LAST TIME I will ever step in that arena.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      Fran FraschillaVerified account@franfraschilla Mar 26

.@CoachScottCross was 82-33 last 3 years at Texas-Arlington with wins at Ohio State, Texas, St.Mary’s, BYU twice. AD thought they should be better. LAST TIME I will ever step in that arena.
      Looks real tough for Coach Cross from what was said above, however (and I'm not saying he "deserved" to be fired) his team has 8 seniors, 7 of which were his top 8 players, including the clearly top 5. With this senior laden team, they finished 4 wins worse in conference play and won 6 fewer games overall than last year. The team finished even slightly better in his first year than this year.

Unfortunately, most of these seniors were on the roster when he took over. That means he maybe didn't recruit good enough to have any underclassmen in his top 8 players along with having such a large class of reasonably good players keeping him from adding much new blood to the team. Some of these seniors may have been his recruits, therefore, he may have helped create the logjam.

Comment

• shoxlax
        shoxlax commented
        Editing a comment
        He’s been there for 12 years.

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        My Big mistake. Sorry. Don't follow who coaches most mid-major or lower schools. Thanks for the correction @shoxlax.

I'll change my statement to -- He got to this point all by himself. Large senior class that definitely regressed and now faced with pretty much a total re-build. Up and down performance through his years there, not winning the conference tourney the 2 years they won the regular season for a school who has jumped up in conference status since he's been there, so the pressure to perform (think money) has gained importance. Appears to be a upstanding guy who is very well liked, but that's counting less and less these days.

• Jeff *******Verified account@GoodmanESPN 2h2 hours ago Follow Follow @GoodmanESPNFollowing Following @GoodmanESPNUnfollow Unfollow @GoodmanESPNBlocked Blocked @GoodmanESPNUnblock Unblock @GoodmanESPNPending Pending follow request from @GoodmanESPNCancel Cancel your follow request to @GoodmanESPN

More
      • Copy link to Tweet
      • Embed Tweet

NC central coach LeVelle Moton has withdrawn from consideration at East Carolina, sources told ESPN. ECU without an AD, not paying well, tough gig.

Comment

• Can we boot ECU and get Louisville back?!?! ;)
        The Assman

Comment

• WSUwatcher
          WSUwatcher commented
          Editing a comment
          How about Loyola, to nail the Chicago market?

Seriously, at this point, they have to have more of it than DePaul sends to the Big East.

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
        Can we boot ECU and get Louisville back?!?! ;)
        Valparaiso might be interested!
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Drake hires Darian DeVries, a Creighton assistant
          DES MOINES, Iowa – Drake University Director of Athletics Brian Hardin today named Darian DeVries head men's basketball coach. A veteran coach with experience in the BIG EAST and Missouri Valley Conferences, DeVries was previously an assistant coach at Creighton University for 17 years and spent 20 total seasons on staff with the Bluejays. During that span, he helped guide the Bluejays to 19 postseason appearances and 12 NCAA Tournament berths.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerMas View Post
            Drake hires Darian DeVries, a Creighton assistant
            http://godrakebulldogs.com/news/2018...ead-coach.aspx
            His name has popped up in every MVC coaching search for the last decade. I guess Drake was finally desperate enough.

Comment

• Temple is expected to announce that Dunphy will step down after next year and assistant Aaron McKie will take over. Reported by Seth Davis @ The Fieldhouse.
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Weird.

I think Dunphy is a pretty good coach, but that's one of those examples of something that has probably run its course. Sort of like Dixon at Pitt or Barnes at Texas. Change needed for all parties.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                    Weird.

I think Dunphy is a pretty good coach, but that's one of those examples of something that has probably run its course. Sort of like Dixon at Pitt or Barnes at Texas. Change needed for all parties.
                    Don't you think he's ready to retire? Nothing weird about it.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                      1972Shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, Fran will be 70 this coming October so he may be ready conclude his coaching career.

• Xavier promotes from within and hires Steele as their coach

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                      WSUwatcher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Might as well -- it worked really well at Butler with Brad Stevens, and okay after he left too, so why not give it a try? Just make sure, if you're going to promote someone, that the guy isn't named Mike Cohen.

• EDIT: ... might just be a random person without knowledge. Was originally retweeted by a Memphis guy, but he later deleted that.

Last edited by Stickboy46; April 2, 2018, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• Cdizzle
                      Cdizzle commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Random Arkansas fan? Seems questionable

• Stickboy46
                      Stickboy46 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      yup it was retweeted by a Memphis media guy which is where i saw it ... He has since retracted it ...

• Interesting. Would love to know if there are any differences with this recruit and Lomax.

Comment

• It wouldn't surprise me if Penny has done some quiet, untraceable tampering, although given his long relationship with Lomax I doubt any was necessary in that particular case.

But I suspect the folks in Memphis are so desperate to recapture the Calipari days that they'll accept anything that seems to lead in the direction of a winning team, at least until it blows up (which may well happen) or flames out as a number of other hometown NBA players' programs have in the cities where they came to fame.

Comment

Working...
                    X