Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

• Old friend alert!

If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• I am not worried abut NBA players as NCAA coaches:
        Name Current Team Wins Losses % Win
        Isiah Thomas FIU Panthers 26 65 29%
        Mike Dunleavy Sr. Tulane Green Wave 20 42 32%
        Terry Porter Portland Pilots 21 44 32%
        Clyde Drexler Houston Cougars 19 39 33%
        Donyell Marshall Central Connecticut Blue Devils 20 41 33%
        Damon Stoudamire Pacific Tigers 25 40 38%
        Chris Mullin St. John's Red Storm 38 60 39%
        Reggie Theus Cal State Northridge Matadors 85 128 40%
        Mark Price Charlotte 49ers 30 42 42%
        Danny Manning Wake Forest Demon Deacons 92 102 47%
        Patrick Ewing Georgetown Hoyas 15 15 50%
        Avery Johnson Alabama Crimson Tide 56 45 55%
        Larry Krystkowiak
        Utah
        177 116
        60%
        Dan Majerle Grand Canyon Antelopes 103 57 64%
        Totals 727 836 47%
        Last edited by WuShock Reaper; March 20, 2018, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• What about Krystowiak?

Comment

• WuShock Reaper
            WuShock Reaper commented
            Editing a comment
            Added Krystkowiak, still not overly impressed.

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
          I am not worried abut NBA players as NCAA coaches:
          Name Current Team Wins Losses % Win
          Isiah Thomas FIU Panthers 26 65 29%
          Mike Dunleavy Sr. Tulane Green Wave 20 42 32%
          Terry Porter Portland Pilots 21 44 32%
          Clyde Drexler Houston Cougars 19 39 33%
          Donyell Marshall Central Connecticut Blue Devils 20 41 33%
          Damon Stoudamire Pacific Tigers 25 40 38%
          Chris Mullin St. John's Red Storm 38 60 39%
          Reggie Theus Cal State Northridge Matadors 85 128 40%
          Mark Price Charlotte 49ers 30 42 42%
          Danny Manning Wake Forest Demon Deacons 92 102 47%
          Patrick Ewing Georgetown Hoyas 15 15 50%
          Avery Johnson Alabama Crimson Tide 56 45 55%
          Dan Majerle Grand Canyon Antelopes 103 57 64%
          Totals 550 720 43%
          Quite a few of those guys are only in their 1st or 2nd seasons though so its a little early to draw conclusions.
          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Penny does have the advantage of having his own farm team.

Comment

• What’s the winning percentage for NBA players who were a high school coach for a year then became a college HC? Penny is probably the most extreme case of lack of experience you can find.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                What’s the winning percentage for NBA players who were a high school coach for a year then became a college HC? Penny is probably the most extreme case of lack of experience you can find.
                I see a very talented and undisciplined team going forward. Look at mediocre to terrible P5 squads for what you're gonna get with this.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I see a very talented and undisciplined team going forward. Look at mediocre to terrible P5 squads for what you're gonna get with this.
                  Or UCONN.

Comment

• I think Penny will have success. This was not just some entitled former NBA guy thinking he should be handed something. He started out as a HS coach and AAU ball and built his foundation from there. Add in Marshall saying he likes him and has a good relationship with him. A good character reference from Marshall says a lot about Penny. Add in that Penny sits in a rich player environment - If he keeps those players, I can easily see Memphis quickly back on the national stage.

Comment

• Personally, I want Memphis to have success. Big city, big fan base that can bring a lot of national prominence to our league. Same with UCONN. I hope both of their coaching hires work out for them.

However, when Memphis is good, I still hope we stomp the crap out of them. Let's get a bitter rivalry going.

Comment

• Nah, I don't see success. No experience beyond HS coaching/club team coaching. It's harder than that at the D1 level. Everyone knows there is no defense played in HS let alone club ball; it's all about the offensive highlight tape. Put the ungodly expectations of the city as the "home town hero" coming in with a cape to save the program and I see a Randy Smithson end to this. Sad, because I think Memphis has some history and I'd always like to see the league do well, but I'm not seeing this. Probably have to eat my words in a few years.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                          Nah, I don't see success. No experience beyond HS coaching/club team coaching. It's harder than that at the D1 level. Everyone knows there is no defense played in HS let alone club ball; it's all about the offensive highlight tape. Put the ungodly expectations of the city as the "home town hero" coming in with a cape to save the program and I see a Randy Smithson end to this. Sad, because I think Memphis has some history and I'd always like to see the league do well, but I'm not seeing this. Probably have to eat my words in a few years.
                          I see success with recruiting violations. He can't do what he did to recruit for AAU in College.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                            WuDrWu commented
                            Editing a comment
                            All the things you never hear about, the behind the scenes work, rules, regulations, what you can and can't do. It's far more than likely that Penny has no idea what he can and can't do. I'd question if the Memphis Athletic Department is going to do things their way or Penny's way. But these things matter, they are difficult to follow and manage, and are a reason many coaches ultimately fail. It's just not as easy as rolling out a ball.

• Also, Hopefully we will hear today that UCONN lands Hurley ... I think that would be a home run for them. Need them to get back to their former selves.

Comment

• Agreed. We need Hurley to UCONN. The fact that he hasn't accepted the Pitt deal at this point seems like a positive sign to me.
                            "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                            Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

Working...
                            X