No announcement yet.

Official 2018 Coaching Changes Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They did it. Memphis hired a high school coach. SMH.
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
      I guess time will tell if he will be Fred Hoiberg or Chris Mullen.
      Lesson learned from Mullen is that if you’re making a hire like that, you need some assistants with college basketball experience and someone who can x and o.

If Hurley goes, Creighton likely loses Preston Murphy, top recruiter.

Forbes to MTSU?

Comment

eff *******
        Verified account
        @GoodmanESPN
        1h1 hour ago More

Penny Hardaway will be introduced as Memphis’ head coach today. The key may wind up being his staff. I’m told Tony Madlock likely to be on it, Larry Brown and Tony Barbee doubtful. He needs a veteran ex-head coach, and a young guy who can help him get players.

Comment

I hope I’m wrong but I’m skeptical this ends well for Memphis/Penny.

Comment

• FadedCrown
            FadedCrown commented
            Editing a comment
            It's all about media publicity and butts in the seats, if they cared about winning, Tubby would still be there.

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
          eff *******
          Verified account
          @GoodmanESPN
          1h1 hour ago More

Penny Hardaway will be introduced as Memphis’ head coach today. The key may wind up being his staff. I’m told Tony Madlock likely to be on it, Larry Brown and Tony Barbee doubtful. He needs a veteran ex-head coach, and a young guy who can help him get players.
          Maybe Bruce Pearl will be avialable. He would be a close 2nd to Larry Brown if that's the approach you want ot take.

Comment

Rick Pitino maybe?

Comment

So will they just fold the Memphis basketball program into the Team Penny operation?

Comment

I checked out Danny Manning's record as a head coach to see how an NBA All-Star who should have great recruiting possibilities would do as a head coach. Hardaway has the same possibilities. He just missed out on 6 years working with a Hall of Fame D1 coach, a couple of years as a head coach in a quality conference before moving to a team aspiring for national prominence.

For the sake of the AAC, I hope Hardaway does better then Manning. Wake was actually worse last year (year 4) than they were in Manning's first year.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  An interesting contrast to 3G's first year (11-20, his only losing season) and his fourth (29-8, a school record for wins, and NIT champ on the brink of a ruin of seven straight NCAA trips)

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                I checked out Danny Manning's record as a head coach to see how an NBA All-Star who should have great recruiting possibilities would do as a head coach. Hardaway has the same possibilities. He just missed out on 6 years working with a Hall of Fame D1 coach, a couple of years as a head coach in a quality conference before moving to a team aspiring for national prominence.

For the sake of the AAC, I hope Hardaway does better then Manning. Wake was actually worse last year (year 4) than they were in Manning's first year.
                Interesting article on this subject.

Penny Hardaway won't be the first former NBA All-Star to try his hand at being a college head coach. A look back at those who tried before should worry Memphis fans.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, Top -- that article comes under the heading of Ouch -- very disquieting, or at least it would be if I were a Memphis fan. Even as a Shocker fan, I'd rather see Memphis give themselves a better chance to build the program and thus the league.

• Memphis only gave Penny a 3 year contract. That's kind of interesting. So for Freshman coming in .. there is no guarantee that he will be there for their senior years.

Comment

• pinstripers
                  pinstripers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How many years did Tubby have?

• pogo
                  pogo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thought 4 years and this was only year two.

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                Memphis only gave Penny a 3 year contract. That's kind of interesting. So for Freshman coming in .. there is no guarantee that he will be there for their senior years.
                Perhaps they are anticpating a bunch of one and done's. Lol. Or rules violations. Lol again.
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                  Memphis only gave Penny a 3 year contract. That's kind of interesting. So for Freshman coming in .. there is no guarantee that he will be there for their senior years.
                  24. Penny Hardaway

Career Earnings: $120,469,142

Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway was a magician on the court, and although his career came to a halt rather abruptly, I don’t think he’ll be going broke any time soon.

He made more than $120 million and got a whole lot more than that with his endorsement deals as well.http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...in-nba-history

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                    WSUwatcher commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, they'd better hope he's more successful than Clyde Drexler (possibly his closest analogue in the ESPN article to which Top linked) was at Houston.

• PItt has offered Marshall-money to Dan Hurley. UConn and URI aren't out of the running, however.

Comment

• Stickboy46
                    Stickboy46 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks like UConn offered 2.5 million and Pitt countered with >3 million. If UConn can get it closer to 3 .. i don't see why anyone would choose Pitt over UConn.

• shocks02
                    shocks02 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Higher expectations at UConn. Hope the Huskies can land him.

• pogo
                    pogo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you are only out by half a mil they should be able to find it.

• Listening to the Gary Parrish show from Memphis. Man, they did Tubby wrong, but every caller is stoked to have Hardaway coming in.

No to get tinfoil-y, but how much of a hand did GP have in running Tubby out of town?

Lomax has only been mentioned in passing. "Will he get our of his commitment to Wichita State?"

Comment

• Anyone hear if this is true?

Comment

Working...
                    X