No announcement yet.

Official 2018 Coaching Changes Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The AAC will be its own biggest enemy if it cannot figure out how to get the bottom of the conference to greatly improve. So, some of that talk is partially right. Those bottom dwellers are a drag on the conference to being elite and able to recruit to the level of most of the P5 and Big East as a conference.

This year, the AAC was very close to the Big Ten and Pac-12 in conference rating. The Big Ten had only one team barely worse than 200 RPI, but had 4 more teams between 150-200. The Pac-12 was better having only 1 team just below 200 and only 1 between 150-200. While the AAC only had 3 teams lower than 150, 2 of them below 270 was a killer. Bringing those teams up and it improves everyone which means more bids.

The more bids a conference can usually expect, the better the recruiting. This league certainly has teams that can be very capable on a regular basis besides the 3 dancing this year -- Memphis, UConn, Temple with SMU and Tulsa close behind. UCF, sans injuries was right in the mix. No reason South Florida, Tulane, and ECU can't do that to.

Comment

Memphis and UConn are the real keys to success here. WSU + Cinci are in a good place. Tulsa, Houston, SMU, UCF, and Temple should bounce around between 25 and 125 from year-to-year and have the potential to be mainstays in the top 50.

If if we have 4 top 30 teams and 3 more in the top 75 we will be fine.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Agreed.

I think if you can have a core of 7 or so teams I the Top 50 every year, and 10 in the Top 100, That would really help this conference thrive.

Top 25
        - WSU
        - Cinci
        - UConn
        - Memphis

Top 50
        - Temple
        - Houston
        - SMU

Top 75
        - Tulsa
        - UCF

Top 100
        - Tulane (Would be Huge)

Whatevers
        - USF (at least they help in football)
        - ECU (can we get Louisville back, in a trade)
        The Assman

Comment

• Stickboy46
          Stickboy46 commented
          Editing a comment
          If USF and ECU can at least get to 150-200 it would be HUGELY helpful to league perception since everyone likes to compare by Averages. Which is why the MVC was closely behind the AAC this year. No horrible teams but only 1 good team. I think USF actually might be a good track. ECU needs to make a good hire.

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          This. It's not asking a lot for the lower teams to be able to field a top 200 team. The P5 and BE have a total of 3 sub 200 teams, all between 200-220. We have 2 +275 teams. Not P6 or whatever you want to call it. You have to get down to the #13 conference to find 2 teams that bad or worse.

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
        It’s simple for UCONN.

1) Drop football
        2) Go Private
        3) Join Big East

If the Big East lets them slide on # 2, they can add WSU to and take the conference up to twelve teams :)
        Go private???

Comment

At least we know UCONN has the will to be a championship team. And will do what it takes. That in and of itself is a great thing.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I think Houston is going to sustain itself so long as Sampson is there. They can build themselves into a legitimate Top 20 team annually and increase their fan base with continued success. They have more upside than SMU and Tulsa, IMO.

Comment

• IndianaShocker
              IndianaShocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Let's hope Sampson doesn't do to Houston what he did to Indiana. That was about as close to the "death penalty" without being the death penalty as you can get. The 1st season following the departure of Sampson and receiving NCAA sanctions, the Hoosiers started all freshman, started a 6'4 power forward, and had two 5'10 walk on guards in their top 8 - neither of who were DII talents.

• WSUwatcher
              WSUwatcher commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, Indiana has a point. Sampson can coach, and he seemingly can recruit too, but whether he can do those things without getting into trouble is yet to be established.

Former NC State coach Mark Gottfried to join CSU Northridge, sources say

Jeff *******

Comment

Jeff *******Verified account@GoodmanESPN

Pepperdine announces Lorenzo Romar as new coach. Former Washington head coach, now assistant at Arizona.

Comment

Tubby all but gone.

Utah State job open....good gig

Kermit Davis to Old Miss

Matta to Georgia???

Comment

I may have missed it; who's up at UConn?

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                    Tubby all but gone.

Utah State job open....good gig

Kermit Davis to Old Miss

Matta to Georgia???
                    Utah State is not a good gig. Crappy league. Third fiddle in your own backyard Impossible to get to unless you live in Salt Lake. Tremendous skiing and beautiful lake though.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Sounds like Marty Simmons out at Evansville after 11 years. I always thought he got the most out of the limited talent and resources he had, would look good as an assistant on our bench.

Comment

• BOBB
                        BOBB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I had about three or four good fat jokes, but glass houses and all.

I do bet that he could get someone a look at a last shot.

• DwShock
                        DwShock commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Purple Pimps looking for a new daddy?

• shocksrbest
                        shocksrbest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That be the case...might need a bigger bench

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                      I may have missed it; who's up at UConn?
                      Paging Dan Hurley. Dan Hurley to the blue and white courtesy phone please.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

I just heard from a very reliable source that WSU is attempting to return to the MVC. Gotta admit though, he was a little inebriated. Plus, he sometimes admits to being a KU alumni.

Comment

• WuShock16
                          WuShock16 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          SWEET! I was starting to miss those double-digit seeds and anxiety on Selection Sunday.

Jeff *******Verified account@GoodmanESPN 5h5 hours ago More
                        • Copy link to Tweet
                        • Embed Tweet

Jeff ******* Retweeted Alex Bozich
                        My guess is Eddie Fogler will be the next coach at Pittsburgh.

Comment

• AndShock
                          AndShock commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Pretty sure he’s trolling.

• ShockTalk
                          ShockTalk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Fast Eddie would never take a job where the table isn't already set.

• wusphlash
                          wusphlash commented
                          Editing a comment
                          A little long in the tooth to be restarting his career.
                      Working...
                      X