Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PG Malcolm Armstead (Transfer from Oregon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder if coach sees us going smaller next year--4 shooters and a big. The way TM amd Smith rebound we wouldn't be loosing much in that department. Gives the freshmen bigs time to groom as well. Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker
      I just can't remember a stretch of good point guards at WSU like this, tropicalshox. A period of good big men at WSU, yes, but good point guards in a row, I really can't remember that. It's about f'ing time.
      Sorry, but I don't see it. Shooting 31% from 3 by Ragland or the up-down season that Williams had (w/33% shooting from 3) doesn't make me feel all that confident. I wish WSU would be able to get a Odum or Ahelegbe or a Warren.

Comment

Originally posted by shocksrbest
        Wonder if coach sees us going smaller next year--4 shooters and a big. The way TM amd Smith rebound we wouldn't be loosing much in that department. Gives the freshmen bigs time to groom as well. Just wondering.
        I don't think he will do that too much. Ellis, Blair, and Durley combined for something like 13 or 14 boards a game. No way a 6-4 SF gives us a rebounding advantage. Also, althought Smith came in being touted as a rebounder, he didn't show it. He has a nose for the ball, but otherwise doesn't get into position.

We will have Stutz (decent rebounder, below average for size); Hall, MONSTER rebounder; EO, good rebounder; and White, a touted freshman rebounder. All of those guys have size and will play, and IMO will make us much better as a team than playing small ball. If/When we do go small, look for Ede to play the PF as a defensive 6-6 player against quicker PFs.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
          Originally posted by another shocker
          I just can't remember a stretch of good point guards at WSU like this, tropicalshox. A period of good big men at WSU, yes, but good point guards in a row, I really can't remember that. It's about f'ing time.
          Sorry, but I don't see it. Shooting 31% from 3 by Ragland or the up-down season that Williams had (w/33% shooting from 3) doesn't make me feel all that confident. I wish WSU would be able to get a Odum or Ahelegbe or a Warren.
          Rags is a much better 3 point shooter than that. Hannah lead the team. Rags and Hannah have combined to put the Shocker PG in the top five in FTs in the Valley the past three years. Rags and Hannah had very good A/TO ratios. Hannah as a senior and Rags in the second half were fantastic floor generals. Why wouldn't you think WSU has had three very good years of PG play? Do you remember when Matt Brauer went down? How about Adam Liberty and Craig Steven? Mediocre/Bad PG play is much more obvious than great PG play. What I have wanted to see out of a Shocker PG is better defense. I'm betting Malcom brings it!
          Livin the dream

Comment

I'd be happy if a PG had under 5 points a game, as long as his assists are high and his TO's are low. And good defense is just a plus. I think with a year off, the staff can work with Armstead on fundamentals and possibly tweak his shot a bit. The intangibles of court vision and hustle and stealing are something Armstead has a ton of.
            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by wufan

Rags is a much better 3 point shooter than that.
              WSU needs makers in games, not practice.

Hannah lead the team. Rags and Hannah have combined to put the Shocker PG in the top five in FTs in the Valley the past three years. Rags and Hannah had very good A/TO ratios. Hannah as a senior and Rags in the second half were fantastic floor generals. Why wouldn't you think WSU has had three very good years of PG play?
              Hannah had his struggles. Ragland had his struggles. Yeah once they figured it out, they played pretty good at times. But they had their weakness and in the important games they were exploited.

Do you remember when Matt Brauer went down? How about Adam Liberty and Craig Steven? Mediocre/Bad PG play is much more obvious than great PG play. What I have wanted to see out of a Shocker PG is better defense.
              All you are doing is pointing out the struggle that WSU has consistently had in recruiting good guards (especially out of HS). Every year it feels like stop gap measures with JUCO recruits.

I'm betting Malcom brings it!
              There is a reason why he's transferring - we just don't know what baggage he will bring. I still say how much value is there really in a 2 year scholarship for 1 year of play?

Comment

I think Ron will be a GREAT PG. That kid has skills. So quick. Shoots very well. Great at driving and dishing to other cutters. Seems to really know how to play. Just a stud.

I've only seen him in person once (and several youtube videos). But I don't think that kid has the ability to fail at anything basketball related.
                veni, vidi, vici

Comment

Huh?

Hey, ASM, you're quick to scoff at the Pac-10 (soon to be 12), but it wasn't too long ago that Champ Oguchi went from being a dime-a-dozen (as he described himself) guy out there to being one of the best players in the MVC when he came in for a short stay at Illinois State.

And SB, Mr. Cheerful, maybe Armstead just didn't care for the west coast, the league, or for Oregon in particular and decided to come someplace where he felt better about the coaching situation. Where's the baggage there?

Comment

SB anytime we can get a Hannah or Ragland I will be happy

Comment

• Originally posted by wushock
                      I would love Hannah production for 3 or 4 year, not just the 1.5 years WSU got.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock
                        Originally posted by wushock
                        I would love Hannah production for 3 or 4 year, not just the 1.5 years WSU got.
                        Add Ragland and we get another 1.5 years of Hannahesq production. Malcom could make it 4. That is 6 years of scholarship for 5 years of production. Seriously!
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock

WSU needs makers in games, not practice.
                          I'm pretty sure his juco games counted. You were the one that said numbers don't lie, so look at his first two years of shooting.

Do you remember when Matt Brauer went down? How about Adam Liberty and Craig Steven? Mediocre/Bad PG play is much more obvious than great PG play. What I have wanted to see out of a Shocker PG is better defense.
                          All you are doing is pointing out the struggle that WSU has consistently had in recruiting good guards (especially out of HS). Every year it feels like stop gap measures with JUCO recruits.
                          All you are doing is denying the fact that good juco PGs have made this team better.

I'm betting Malcom brings it!
                          There is a reason why he's transferring - we just don't know what baggage he will bring. I still say how much value is there really in a 2 year scholarship for 1 year of play?[/quote]

The last quote was about Malcom's defensive reputation. Why would you bring up any potential baggage??? That was weak.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

• Looks like a well grounded individual..

USA TODAY delivers current national and local news, sports, entertainment, finance, technology, and more through award-winning journalism, photos, and videos.

Comment

• Let's see, SB.. 25 wins (with Hannah) and 29 wins (single season record, with Ragland, great asst to turnover ratio), back to back, with two different point guards. That must be a two-season-stretch record for wins at WSU. 'Can't wait to see Ragland at the point all season long, as a senior. 'Can't wait to see Armstead and Williams at point the season after that. Oh, yeah.. WSU is about to go into overdrive. It's about time/past due for them to put some 20-win seasons together back to back- to back-to back- to back.

Comment

• Originally posted by 61 fan
                                Looks like a well grounded individual..

http://special.registerguard.com/csp...eam-altman.csp
                                Based on the article, I looked at what Armstead did the first 18 games (prior to his "change") and the last 20.

1st 18: 3.4 assists pg, 2.9 TO pg, 2.0 steals pg, 6.4 ppg, .346 FG%

2nd 20: 5.3 assists pg, 2.5 TO pg, 2.6 steals pg, 10.6 ppg, .491 FG%

Oregon went from 9-10 (2-5 conf) including the loss he didn't play in to 12-8 (5-6 conf including conf. tourney) including post season.

Comment

Working...
                                X