Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PG Malcolm Armstead (Transfer from Oregon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Ben Smith is playing the 4, we're in trouble. White will play and play enough to keep Hall fresh. Coach had great things to say about Ehimen late last year. I have very little concern that he won't be able to play a decent chunk of minutes. We'll be just fine.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• How did I know that Sub would not be worried? We have 4 guys, two of which never played D-1 before, one of which averaged about 1 minute PT per game (and two fouls per minute) and the fourth usually fouled out in less than 20 minutes of play........me not worried either...

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers
        How did I know that Sub would not be worried? We have 4 guys, two of which never played D-1 before, one of which averaged about 1 minute PT per game (and two fouls per minute) and the fourth usually fouled out in less than 20 minutes of play........me not worried either...
        Yet adding another unproven big would ease your worries? If nobody improves than yes, we're screwed. Hall and White are both legit. By all accounts Ehimen has made strides and would have played last year more if we weren't already loaded with depth. It amazes me that so many think another JUCO would solve everything. Bringing in another FR or JUCO would have us in the same spot, just with another body. Maybe that makes others feel better. I think we're fine. We'll rely more on our guard play this year than out post like we did last year. That's not going to kill us as our inside play will be just fine. When Garrett was allowed to play, he played very well. There's no need to be worried about him. You don't really need more than 4 post players. If you do, someone is redshirting most likely and you still have 4.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I'm not worried. I'm actually excited. HCGM knows these guys better than any of us, except the occasional family member on here. I trust his judgement and if this is the team he wants to build then let him build it. I won't condemn him until he has failed and so far he hasn't in the 11-12 season. Last year he turned a crap shot into a championship banner and let's face it, the spankings of bcs schools that were supposed to beat us was a lot of fun. And hey, do we even know if this kid gets a basketball schollie? He was already on campus. Makes me think he was ready to walk on.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
          Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• Eeeeek!

Sub is right on.

Also, despite all the panic here, but who's to say Andre Walker -- or even someone else we've never heard of, like Kevin Young formerly of Loyola Marymount who ended up on Bill Self's doorstep recently -- won't be a Shocker next year? Will our worriers be more comfortable if that happens?

And, no, I'm not concerned about the scholarship situation. Marshall and his staff know what they're doing and what options are available, so if Walker is still coming in for a visit you can safely assume they can find a legitimate way to get him on board if the opportunity arises -- and the same can be said about any other prospective visitors of whom we may not be aware.

Comment

• I thought it might be appropriate to remind people that our Sweet Sixteen team had 3 transfer players who made major contributions, two of which were in their first season playing for the team that year.

Do we beat Tennessee if those scholarships had been used on freshman instead of Karon Bradley and Ryan Martin? I tend to doubt it.

That year was very similar to the situation we are facing now. Like Bradley, Armstead will come in following the graduation of a veteran group (Burns, Howard, Kampman then; Murry, Kyles, Stutz, etc. now). Tekele, Evan, Ede, and Jake represent a group similar to Matt, PJ, and Sean.

Does that in any way guarantee that it will work out the same way? Absolutely not. But it certainly indicates that it is an approach that can be successful.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• It also tries to balance out the classes a little. It puts three 'ships in the now JR class with DWill and Ehimen.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I agree that balancing the classes is important. Yeah, Sub, if we had brought in another big, I would feel better, sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22
                    It also tries to balance out the classes a little. It puts three 'ships in the now JR class with DWill and Ehimen.
                    Isn't Hall in that class also ?

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock
                      Originally posted by SubGod22
                      It also tries to balance out the classes a little. It puts three 'ships in the now JR class with DWill and Ehimen.
                      Thought I was missing someone. I remembered that class was low during the season. Would ideally like to see three to four in each class.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by moshock
                        Thought I was missing someone. I remembered that class was low during the season. Would ideally like to see three to four in each class.
                        Last year's Fr and So classes weren't at that size and the entire Fr class left school - after a RS year.

Next year players with 3 years in the program:
                        Murry, Kyles, Stutz

Players with 2 years in the program:
                        Williams

Players with 1 year in the program:
                        Ragland (Sr), Smith (Sr), Orukpe (So)

Unless a school is recruiting a lot of players who leave early for the NBA, winning teams tend to have more than 4 players with 2 or 3 years experience in the program. Marshall is winning with jucos and transfers, but that's not the pattern used by most successful programs.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh
                          Last year's Fr and So classes weren't at that size and the entire Fr class left school - after a RS year.

Murry, Kyles, Stutz

Williams

Unless a school is recruiting a lot of players who leave early for the NBA, winning teams tend to have more than 4 players with 2 or 3 years experience in the program. Marshall is winning with jucos and transfers, but that's not the pattern used by most successful programs.
                          I'd love to see more FR recruited and end up contributing. And I think we will. Things happen and the occassional JUCO is needed. Having the ability to RS a few FR help, or can help, balance classes. Having five or six in a class can really strain a program and force them to recruit more JUCOs
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Exactly, Aargh. If you don't do everything exactly like KU you will never do anything in the NCAA tournament, and that's assuming you do get in
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                            Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh

Murry, Kyles, Stutz

Williams

I'd love to see more FR recruited and end up contributing. And I think we will. Things happen and the occassional JUCO is needed. Having the ability to RS a few FR help, or can help, balance classes. Having five or six in a class can really strain a program and force them to recruit more JUCOs
                              I think the biggest problem with this years recruiting class was the last two year's freshman. One transferred, and two red-shirt frosh didn't work out. We opted for jucos instead of freshman last year. As a result, the classes are unbalanced, but we did get EO, Hall, and Armsted in to balance the class of 2013. We will likely add a few more transfers next year to balance the class of 2014. The class of 2015 looks good so long as they don't all disappear.

This signing is unfortunately being blamed for bad freshman recruiting recently. I think they are two different issues, and this paticular signing should be great for the future of the program.

As for wanting another JUCO big, it really only adds insurance. It gives the program some extra room in case one of the current guys don't work out, but it doesn't make us "the team." Personally, I think that two 7-footers, the best juco PF, and a Parade AA HS PF make us "the team." Ede is insurance. Adding another big only adds additional insurance. That type of luxury has been afforded us in recent years, but is rarely available to most teams.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• T.W.,

I go out of town for a few days and look what you do. You get in a p*ssing match with half of the forum members.

I am still in Austin, but I will be home on Thursday. I will try to talk you down then.

In the meantime, back away from the keyboard.

Your close person friend,

Ricky Del Rio
                                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                                X