Could WSU win a National Championship ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthroshock View Post
    With the recent rumblings from schools and the NCAA, I think we are running out of chances to win the "Real" NCAA tournament.

Why don't we just win it this year?
    This is another concern. There's only one thing left to do...

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
      That loaded team you describe sounds like several of the 4 teams we defeated at the Dance last Season. Do you see many teams out there this Season with more quality depth than the Shocks?
      Originally posted by Dan View Post
      our biggest weakness right now is depth. Not sure what Nick and Evan are doing, but they both could provide a big boost if they could get on track with shooting. Extra time in the gym, whatever it takes, we need these guys down the stretch.
      Yes, our biggest weakness is depth, but not just in certain players that maybe are not doing enough. It's also in numbers and who we don't have.

With Baker back, last year's team was 11 scholarship players deep (Wessel injuried, Green RS) and the one who played the least is now our starting center. This is not a criticism of this year's team or Lufile, but of the depth of last year's team. Demetric, who was 5th in mpg (25 mpg), took on a supporting role during the Dance playing only 10 mpg. During the season, posters would joke about how we could not back off at the end of a game, because our second 5 could handle many team's 1st 5 and increase the lead. I don't think that's happening this year.

Most important is who we don't have. We don't have a Fred VanVleet backing up our PG.

Wessel is tough as nails on D and Wiggins has become a better all around player. They can help hold another team, but they're not adding much to the offensive side. Coleby is a complete mystery to me. With his DI experience and a transfer year to learn the system, we're fortunate Lufile has, and still is, improving and has become a part of the first 6 players on this team.

Let's just enjoy this great ride and wait and see what happens in the Dance. Strong teams have fallen early in the Dance, just as unlikely teams have risen to the top. In the Dance, anything is possible......anything.

Comment

Awesome thread bump.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Whoa.
          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Benches shorten in March anyway. Anyway, lots of teams this year are thin and rely heavily on a few players at the guard spots. Arizona has a 7 man rotation and runs with 3 guards, Syracuse has 3 guys averaging over 30 minutes, KU seems deep but certainly not at the guard spots. Those are just a few examples.

I do want to avoid a team with a 6'7/8 small forward. We rebound well, Tekel is strong and can defend pretty much anyone, but still giving up 5-6 inches to a Gordon or Wiggins is concerning. Fortunately those teams are in rarefied air.

Comment

Originally posted by Heinro View Post
              Benches shorten in March anyway. Anyway, lots of teams this year are thin and rely heavily on a few players at the guard spots. Arizona has a 7 man rotation and runs with 3 guards, Syracuse has 3 guys averaging over 30 minutes, KU seems deep but certainly not at the guard spots. Those are just a few examples.

I do want to avoid a team with a 6'7/8 small forward. We rebound well, Tekel is strong and can defend pretty much anyone, but still giving up 5-6 inches to a Gordon or Wiggins is concerning. Fortunately those teams are in rarefied air.
              I have no concerns with Cotton guarding a Gordon or Wiggins.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Do it for Mr Burchfield

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                  Speaking of our amazing point guard, FVV, can somebody explain how he makes some of the unbelievable lay-ups he scores when it does not appear among the trees he has even a remote chance to score? Ho does it quite often so it must not be lady luck.
                  He understands how to position the width of his body between the defender and his shooting arm, plus he shoots the ball with a nice high arc and banks it softly off the rim. The big guys have to go through him (foul him) to get to his shot. Malcolm Armstead did the same thing often shooting what was basically a mini-baby hook.

Comment

I have been concerned about our post depth and post play most of the season. We more than less dominated TN's posts and TN's post dominated UK for the most part. I am much more at ease.
                    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

It's so much a mix of luck and seeding. That being said, Butler was about 5 inches away from one the year after they made it to the Final 4...any given Monday (in April)
                      "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                      Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

Luck of the draw does have a lot to do with it...2012--VCU, 2013...

While I agree with the depth argument, I do think we--as a team--are getting better and will continue to do so. Barring injury or serious foul trouble, our top subs play defense pretty well. Besides, if we make it to the FF again this year, maybe John Robert Simon can have a Tim Henderson moment

Comment

I have no worries about this team. We will loose at least one game this season, but it won't be due to any missing pieces. We have all the right pieces, the right attitude and the right coach. Enjoy the ride.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Going to beat that dead horse yet again. 20-1 with a healthy RB but more like 150-1 with him < than 95% and right
                            now I'd say he is about 75-80%. Hard to get to 100% with game trauma every 3-4 days. Looked like he tweaked it
                            yesterday. A three quarter strength RB is still a pretty good player but to go all the way we have to be on ALL cylinders
                            and we can't be that team without him healed up.

Comment

Could WSU win a National Title this year? Not right now.

I believe that WSU is one perimeter scorer away from really being a threat.
                              In the tournament, Wiggins or Wessel is going to have to step up and be a
                              scoring threat for WSU to have a good chance at winning it all.

Right now WSU looks like a good sweet sixteen team.
                              Right now WSU remind me of Gonzaga from last year.

Comment

I think we can do it. These guys play with a big chip on their shoulder. Can't wait until March.

Comment

Working...
                                X