X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
    Two things to consider:
    Matchups and Luck

If we matched up against a guard as good as FVV with a truly dominate big man down low we could have issues if we aren't hitting from outside.
    And the luck comes from when we get those matchups. For example, if we get matched up with the above example in the 2nd game that is just some bad luck.

But if those guys are all on the other side and all get knocked off first? That's some good luck. If we get 4-5-6 favorable matchups? Fantastic. But there is some dumb luck involved in that.

This is one of the reasons I love the tourney vs the old BCS mode of just pick the two best teams. Very rarely do I think the two best teams end up playing for the title in the tourney format. I don't give a ****. I want the two teams that battled through the tourney.

So, for the record, I do think we have what it takes to battle through that tourney. An amazing PG, a great PG, an amazing defensive guard, a lethal shooter, big men by committee that are learning what it takes to play angry, and a group of guys ready to go in and get the job done.
    Speaking of our amazing point guard, FVV, can somebody explain how he makes some of the unbelievable lay-ups he scores when it does not appear among the trees he has even a remote chance to score? Ho does it quite often so it must not be lady luck.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
      Speaking of our amazing point guard, FVV, can somebody explain how he makes some of the unbelievable lay-ups he scores when it does not appear among the trees he has even a remote chance to score? Ho does it quite often so it must not be lady luck.
      He has the speed needed to get around the front line and he knows how to put it up with a soft touch. Also he will often use the backboard like so many people don't.

It's a thing of beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
        Practice, practice, and more practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
          He has the speed needed to get around the front line and he knows how to put it up with a soft touch. Also he will often use the backboard like so many people don't.

It's a thing of beauty.
          He makes contact with the defender and bounces just far enough away to be able to extend his arm and flip the ball past the defender. Brute upper body strength in addition to fantastic ball skills.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Never say never, but this team does have its flaws. No depth, sub-par three point shooting and our front court while serviceable, is not dominant. March Madness is all about the match ups. We face a team loaded with athletic and skilled front court players, we're in trouble. If we don't, I like our chances to get to FF.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
              Never say never, but this team does have its flaws. No depth, sub-par three point shooting and our front court while serviceable, is not dominant. March Madness is all about the match ups. We face a team loaded with athletic and skilled front court players, we're in trouble. If we don't, I like our chances to get to FF.
              That loaded team you describe sounds like several of the 4 teams we defeated at the Dance last Season. Do you see many teams out there this Season with more quality depth than the Shocks?

Comment

our biggest weakness right now is depth. Not sure what Nick and Evan are doing, but they both could provide a big boost if they could get on track with shooting. Extra time in the gym, whatever it takes, we need these guys down the stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  our biggest weakness right now is depth. Not sure what Nick and Evan are doing, but they both could provide a big boost if they could get on track with shooting. Extra time in the gym, whatever it takes, we need these guys down the stretch.
                  We hope that we are hitting on all cylinders in the March and April games. If so, we can compete with anybody. Four depth players that have not hit their peaks are indeed the 2 you mention and I still have high hopes for Coleby and Green. Each of these 4 players could really help us and they all 4 don't have to do it every game we play for us to benefit. From the words of SubGod22, 'I'm not worried.' In the scheme of things, I truly think our quality depth is an improving process that will step up and be noticed when we need them in prime time.

Last Season, we were picked 4th in the Valley and made the Final 4. We peaked right when we wanted to and Baker came in after 21 missed games and gave us a big lift. That is always a key in the bracket you fall into. Who is hot and who is not? Sometimes we are not hot on Offense but yet rebound and play Defense with the best of them, which still helps us win our fair share of games.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                    No way. We don't recruit good enough players.
                    Anyone else's sarcasm meter registering?

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                      Your recent apologetic post to the phagnetters was tough to digest. Wasn't even factually correct from a recruiting standpoint. FVV was not a run of the mill 3 star recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                        He makes contact with the defender and bounces just far enough away to be able to extend his arm and flip the ball past the defender. Brute upper body strength in addition to fantastic ball skills.
                        This. Just fantastic body control and ball control after he is in the air.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          For Nick and Evan, I think it's all psychological. They're not even consistent at the free throw line. If they go through the same routine each time, both of them should have higher free throw percentages than they do now. And this should translate over to better 3-point shooting.

The Mental Aspect of Free Throws

Comment

I'm not too concerned about our depth. Aside from foul trouble for FVV, Baker, or Cotton, I don't see it being a huge issue. It can come down to match ups and luck, so I just hope we win out and put ourselves in the best possible position.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                              Your recent apologetic post to the phagnetters was tough to digest. Wasn't even factually correct from a recruiting standpoint. FVV was not a run of the mill 3 star recruit.
                              Link please.
                              "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

With the recent rumblings from schools and the NCAA, I think we are running out of chances to win the "Real" NCAA tournament.

Why don't we just win it this year?

Comment

Working...
                                X