No announcement yet.

Could WSU win a National Championship ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could WSU win a National Championship ?

In the Perry Ellis thread the comment was made that Perry would probably go to another school to win a National Championship.

Is there some reason WSU could not win one. We had UConn beat last year until the zebras took over. We totally dominated the BCS teams that we played in the NIT.

It boils down to great coaching and players. We have a great coach and Perry is a great player. Is there some rule that says you have to have a Duke or KU jersey on to win a NC ?

I don't know if somehow people feel like only a handful of teams have the right to win a NC. Just wondering how other's feel and where comments like that come from.

:wsu_posters:

Of course we can, but the thing we've lacked for a long time, is a guy who has national dominance in skill. That one guy who is a play maker, who will go to the NBA. I guess the last player we had that was like that, who could truly take over a game, was Mo Evans.

The mind set that you have to go to a large school with long ties of dominance to win a national championship, is the exact reason that it continues to be that way. If Perry took the opposite view point, that maybe he could be the player, the reason why a team like Wichita State could actually win a NC, then I think you'd see more teams from a variety of conferences playing for and winning NC's. But its hard work, and it won't always work out, but then again, how many NC's does KU have? 2 in 40 years? Something around there. So even a team that is consistently the talk of the basketball world, doesn't have championships every year.

I think Perry, and other top 50 recruits around the country need to think about going to a mid major school more than they do because at KU or UK or Duke, you're just one of 10 guys who are amazing basketball players. You win a NC, you are celebrated. If you go to a Wichita State or Butler or VCU and even just take your team to the Elite 8, let alone a NC, you could be a legend in their city and on campus for life.

Think about our Sweet 16 team. None of those guys were tremendous top 50 recruits out of high school, and all those guys are historic on our campus, and in our basketball lore. Imagine what Perry would do if he came here and took us to a final four, or NC game, or imagine a NC. The guy would be loved in Wichita for the rest of his life, and the fact he grew up here, is even more of a reason to give it a shot with Marshall.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

If I remember correctly it's only been done once without a Burger Boy. Hope Perry is our Burger Boy but who knows, next year is looking great.
      In the fast lane

Comment

No mid-major has won it all since UNLV back in 1990 I believe. I have no clue when the last mid-major team without football won the whole thing. However, given Butler's recent success my mind has changed just a little bit. Can a mid-major win it all, yes. Can WSU? Not with the type of players we recruit.

Comment

Yes! I believe if we played like we did in the NIT- we would have given it a heck of a shot!
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Wichita State was relenteless on the backboards!

Comment

I'll settle with a valley title first.
              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Well, Wichita State finally won a national tournament championship (NCAA or NIT) this year after 100 years. Lord knows that one was long enough in coming. I'll take that.. for now.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock
                  I'll settle with a valley title first.
                  Crap you! (for being right)
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

It is not totally out of the question, but our recruiting would definately have to pick up before that could happen. I don't really expect to get 5 star recruits here, but a few 4 stars would definately help, and I think that is possible for us.

I think we are reaping a few rewards for the NIT championship, and would love to see us get to the sweet 16 level or beyond again. But, before that happens, I think we have to schedule better opponents, and it is anyone's guess whether that will happen or not.

Comment

Sure we can. We have better resources and fan support than Butler.

Shoot this year's team was extremely close to beating eventual national champ UCONN on a neutral court.

Comment

Yes it can.WSU has great coaching,players that know how to win ,and an experienced backcourt.The only question mark at this point is rebounding and the coaches are addressing that as we speak..Just like everybody else WSU must have some favorable bounces go its way ,overall I'm a true believer that they can win it all.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3
                          Sure we can. We have better resources and fan support than Butler.

Shoot this year's team was extremely close to beating eventual national champ UCONN on a neutral court.
                          Fan support doesn't win anything. It's all about the players and the coach. And please don't bring up the UCONN game. It happened so early in the season that it isn't even relevant. UCONN was a completely different team at that point than they were at the end of the season. THIS was the year for us to make a run at a title because a majority of the teams in the tournament were horrible. However, we choked and ended up in a 2nd tier tournament. Then we decided it was time to play hard. We could win it all, but it's going to take a special group of guys. A very special group.

Comment

Could WSU win a National Championship?

Could switching to Geico really save you 20% on Auto Insurance?

Does the Pope have indoor plumbling?

Did Osama?

And did he use it?

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock
                              Could WSU win a National Championship?

Could switching to Geico really save you 20% on Auto Insurance?

Does the Pope have indoor plumbling?

Did Osama?

And did he use it?
                              :posterwsu: 8)
                              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                              X