Gregg Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Maybe because he hasn’t won any NCAA games at Houston and wasn’t a #1 Seed? The schools where he did win in the NCAA, he cheated. Possible Answer

I have to give it to him for now getting high level local kids to consider Houston again.
    Didn't they win one NCAA game in Wichita two years ago?

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

They did and they went to the Sweet 16 the next year. Basically a miracle prayer shot away from back-to-back Sweet 16s.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Yes my mistake. Their Sweet 16 was a nice tournament.

Comment

• Who are all these idiots in the media that say Gregg Marshall is a good coach and a good hire? I thought we maybe needed to look at canning his arse.

Comment

• '76 went into hiding at the right time.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
              '76 went into hiding at the right time.
              Cue that Simpsons gif meme.

Comment

They did and they went to the Sweet 16 the next year. Basically a miracle prayer shot away from back-to-back Sweet 16s.
                A miracle shot from Michigan...or Houston simply just making two free throws to ice the game. Michigan ended up playing for the national title. Transitive property isn't totally accurate, but if Michigan made it to Championship Monday, it's not crazy to think that Houston could have done it.
                78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

A miracle shot from Michigan...or Houston simply just making two free throws to ice the game. Michigan ended up playing for the national title. Transitive property isn't totally accurate, but if Michigan made it to Championship Monday, it's not crazy to think that Houston could have done it.
                  Transitive property works .. that's why we won the 2013 National Title ...

Comment

• I read an article about Nick Nurse (Raptors coach) and his commitment to defense. His college coach at Northern Iowa was Eldon Miller and he said he learned the importance of defense from him. The article went on to quote Miller..."Rarely do players understand why movement away from the basketball creates advantages WITH the ball. A lot of players just want the ball. They don't understand and that what happens away from the ball-The screens, the angles-how that stuff impacts stress on the defense constantly.' This is what Marshall constantly preaches but I thought Miller was able to put into words. The part about players only wanting the ball was gold.

Comment

• Loved Bobby Knights' motion offense. And obviously his prodigy, Coach K's too.

They didn't (don't) hold their kids back on that end of the court.

Comment

• Cannot sleep and Hughesnet sucks as an ISP; but at least during the early hours of morning I can access Shockernet without too many issues.

I am surprised that Shockernetters have not taken greater issue with Gassaway's rankings. Not wanting to introduce additional controversy as to certain missing coaches, From his list I would rank the Top Ten as follows -

1.Jay Wright, Villanova Wildcats (2001)

From November 2013 to April 2018, Wright posted a 165-21 record (77-13 in Big East play) to go along with three No. 1 seeds and two national titles. No coach on this list has had a better five-season run in the last quarter-century. Few, if any, coaches on or off this list have been more influential in recent years in terms of how the game is played.

2.Tony Bennett, Virginia Cavaliers (2009)

In the decade before Bennett's hiring, Virginia won 55% of its games and recorded one win in the NCAA tournament. Conversely, since Bennett arrived in Charlottesville, the Cavaliers have won 74% of the time and collected 13 tournament victories. There's also that 2019 national title to factor into the record. Bennett has been a miracle worker.

3. John Calipari, Kentucky Wildcats (2009)

Prior to Kentucky in 2015, the last undefeated team to make It to the Final Four was UNLV in 1991. The Wildcats didn't win the title that year, of course, but they did in 2012. They've reached three Final Fours under Calipari (and, perhaps even more incredibly, six Elite Eights), and UK's recruiting classes ranked either No. 1 or 2 at ESPN.com every year from 2009 to 2018.

4. Bill Self, Kansas Jayhawks (2003)

Self's win percentage in regular-season conference games at KU is .812, and keep in mind the Big 12 was the No. 1-ranked league at KenPom.com annually from 2014 to 2019. Not to mention the national championship in 2008 or the nine-season run from 2010 to 2018 when the Jayhawks were a No. 1 or 2 seed every year. And who knows what we might have seen from 2020's presumptive overall No. 1 seed?

5. Tom Izzo, Michigan State Spartans (1995)

Look who snuck in under the 25-year cutoff. Sorry, Coach, you won't be here if we do this again in 2021. Let's see, 628 wins in 25 seasons, eight Final Fours and the Big Ten's most recent national title. That will definitely earn you a spot here.

6. Mark Few, Gonzaga Bulldogs (1999)

Few has never missed the NCAA tournament, posting a perfect 20-for-20 attendance record. Just three coaches have longer active streaks, and, not coincidentally, we've mentioned all of them already: Mike Krzyzewski (24), Tom Izzo (22) and Bill Self (21, with three different teams). The fact that Few's doing this at a small Jesuit school in the West Coast Conference makes it even more remarkable.

7. Roy Williams, North Carolina Tar Heels (2003)

North Carolina swung and missed on Williams in 2000, then came back around three years later and got its man. The sum total of what we've seen over the past 17 years (yes, even including last season) says the Tar Heels were right to try the first time and then to keep on trying. Since the day Williams was hired in Chapel Hill, no Division I men's basketball coach has won more national titles. Williams has put three trophies on the shelf, making this the No. 1 hire over the last 25 years.

8. Gregg Marshall, Wichita State Shockers (2007)

The Shockers earned a No. 1 seed and entered the 2014 NCAA tournament undefeated, and all they got for their troubles was a pairing in the round of 32 with statistically the greatest recruiting class of the one-and-done era (i.e., Kentucky). Note additionally Marshall's run of seven straight tournament appearances -- a record both at Wichita State and in the Missouri Valley.

9. Bob Huggins, West Virginia Mountaineers (2007)

Not only did Huggins upset top seed Kentucky on his way to the 2010 Final Four, he changed his style of play five years after that and gave West Virginia a fresh lease on success under the banner of "Press Virginia." They must know something in Morgantown, because the Mountaineers' past two hires have been Huggins and John Beilein. Not bad at all.

10. Chris Beard, Texas Tech Red Raiders (2016)

Before hiring Beard, Texas Tech had never appeared in an Elite Eight. With Beard, the Red Raiders played in regional finals in both 2018 and 2019, famously coming within mere seconds of a national title in the latter year. Few if any coaches have done more with less in a shorter period of time.

Comment

'76 went into hiding at the right time.
                          Fever, attached picture is where, according to you, I am hiding. I tried to upload a video of the trout creek but was denied due to "mov file" - whatever that is. Rope is where we put our kayaks onto the creek; kayakers are likely to be by this afternoon, if I am able I will photo them and post. In the meantime, I am going to try to catch some trout.
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                            Cannot sleep and Hughesnet sucks as an ISP; but at least during the early hours of morning I can access Shockernet without too many issues.

I am surprised that Shockernetters have not taken greater issue with Gassaway's rankings. Not wanting to introduce additional controversy as to certain missing coaches, From his list I would rank the Top Ten as follows -

1.Jay Wright, Villanova Wildcats (2001)

From November 2013 to April 2018, Wright posted a 165-21 record (77-13 in Big East play) to go along with three No. 1 seeds and two national titles. No coach on this list has had a better five-season run in the last quarter-century. Few, if any, coaches on or off this list have been more influential in recent years in terms of how the game is played.

2.Tony Bennett, Virginia Cavaliers (2009)

In the decade before Bennett's hiring, Virginia won 55% of its games and recorded one win in the NCAA tournament. Conversely, since Bennett arrived in Charlottesville, the Cavaliers have won 74% of the time and collected 13 tournament victories. There's also that 2019 national title to factor into the record. Bennett has been a miracle worker.

3. John Calipari, Kentucky Wildcats (2009)

Prior to Kentucky in 2015, the last undefeated team to make It to the Final Four was UNLV in 1991. The Wildcats didn't win the title that year, of course, but they did in 2012. They've reached three Final Fours under Calipari (and, perhaps even more incredibly, six Elite Eights), and UK's recruiting classes ranked either No. 1 or 2 at ESPN.com every year from 2009 to 2018.

4. Bill Self, Kansas Jayhawks (2003)

Self's win percentage in regular-season conference games at KU is .812, and keep in mind the Big 12 was the No. 1-ranked league at KenPom.com annually from 2014 to 2019. Not to mention the national championship in 2008 or the nine-season run from 2010 to 2018 when the Jayhawks were a No. 1 or 2 seed every year. And who knows what we might have seen from 2020's presumptive overall No. 1 seed?

5. Tom Izzo, Michigan State Spartans (1995)

Look who snuck in under the 25-year cutoff. Sorry, Coach, you won't be here if we do this again in 2021. Let's see, 628 wins in 25 seasons, eight Final Fours and the Big Ten's most recent national title. That will definitely earn you a spot here.

6. Mark Few, Gonzaga Bulldogs (1999)

Few has never missed the NCAA tournament, posting a perfect 20-for-20 attendance record. Just three coaches have longer active streaks, and, not coincidentally, we've mentioned all of them already: Mike Krzyzewski (24), Tom Izzo (22) and Bill Self (21, with three different teams). The fact that Few's doing this at a small Jesuit school in the West Coast Conference makes it even more remarkable.

7. Roy Williams, North Carolina Tar Heels (2003)

North Carolina swung and missed on Williams in 2000, then came back around three years later and got its man. The sum total of what we've seen over the past 17 years (yes, even including last season) says the Tar Heels were right to try the first time and then to keep on trying. Since the day Williams was hired in Chapel Hill, no Division I men's basketball coach has won more national titles. Williams has put three trophies on the shelf, making this the No. 1 hire over the last 25 years.

8. Gregg Marshall, Wichita State Shockers (2007)

The Shockers earned a No. 1 seed and entered the 2014 NCAA tournament undefeated, and all they got for their troubles was a pairing in the round of 32 with statistically the greatest recruiting class of the one-and-done era (i.e., Kentucky). Note additionally Marshall's run of seven straight tournament appearances -- a record both at Wichita State and in the Missouri Valley.

9. Bob Huggins, West Virginia Mountaineers (2007)

Not only did Huggins upset top seed Kentucky on his way to the 2010 Final Four, he changed his style of play five years after that and gave West Virginia a fresh lease on success under the banner of "Press Virginia." They must know something in Morgantown, because the Mountaineers' past two hires have been Huggins and John Beilein. Not bad at all.

10. Chris Beard, Texas Tech Red Raiders (2016)

Before hiring Beard, Texas Tech had never appeared in an Elite Eight. With Beard, the Red Raiders played in regional finals in both 2018 and 2019, famously coming within mere seconds of a national title in the latter year. Few if any coaches have done more with less in a shorter period of time.
                            Oink Oink

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

Oink Oink
                              Kayakers for Melvin the Pig!

Enjoy your summer in Wichita - lol!
                              Attached Files

Comment

• I thought you were taking a 6 month break?

Comment

Working...
                                X