No announcement yet.

Gregg Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To coin a phrase from one of our estranged Shocknetters, that was a -ahem- "substantive" interview.

Very enjoyable to listen to GGG's upbeat demeanor.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      Coach supposed be on KFH w Lutz today at 5:05
      Inside outside "The Roundhouse"

THE DRIVE
      APRIL 17, 2020 - 5:25 PM

Shocker Basketball Coach Gregg Marshall joins the show to talk about all the happenings with his basketball program during the covid-19 shutdown.

Comment

• Doesn't matter if you're playing good or bad. Just give them the rock and let them play for 38 minutes just because "you're our guy". Lol. Sad but that's exactly what coach was up against this year.

Personally glad we are able to wipe the slate clean and bring in the type of players that has made our program so successful. At least I hope we have.

Comment

• HCGM was making up statistics and threw some numbers out about 70 some kids that entered the transfer portal last year did not pick up a scholarship offer anywhere else. Looks like when the music stopped there wasn't a chair to sit down on. See the same thing happening this year. I will also be surprised if Mo comes back.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
            HCGM was making up statistics and threw some numbers out about 70 some kids that entered the transfer portal last year did not pick up a scholarship offer anywhere else. Looks like when the music stopped there wasn't a chair to sit down on. See the same thing happening this year. I will also be surprised if Mo comes back.
            This doesn't surprise me. Not all of the players in the portal necessarily left their schools voluntarily and definitely not all are top of the line talents. A lot of these players left to find more playing time somewhere else and there is a reason a lot of them were not getting much playing time. That 10% aren't picked up by someone is really not all that surprising.

Comment

• I'm probably reading too much into it, but I liked Coach's response to Jeff's question about learning from this year.

Something like, I'll lean on the other 21 years. lol Classic response to what he deemed a less than perfect question, neither side (question or answer) of which was surprising.

Comment

• It is a small thing but I think an important subtlety, when Coach gives a run down of the newcomers, he gives credit to the staff member responsible for “the find.” I am liking the mindset of the staff and very hopeful for our future and the renewal of my tix for the 2020-2021 season. Coach even throws a trading analogy at the end of the interview, love it. I truly believe “Addition By Subtraction” is what has occurred.

Losers Average Losers

Go Shocks!
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Another thing I noticed that HCGM does during these interviews is mention the athlete's coach. I heard some of that in the interview yesterday evening, but I really noticed it in print interview on goshockers.com.
                  Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
                    Another thing I noticed that HCGM does during these interviews is mention the athlete's coach. I heard some of that in the interview yesterday evening, but I really noticed it in print interview on goshockers.com.
                    I’ve noticed that also... he knows how to grease the wheel.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
                      Another thing I noticed that HCGM does during these interviews is mention the athlete's coach. I heard some of that in the interview yesterday evening, but I really noticed it in print interview on goshockers.com.
                      That’s probably one of the things that makes Waterman so successful and valuable to HCGM. Seems he’s developed a great rapport with many of those coaches in NC. Gregg knows recruiting goes both ways and those high school coaches can be very influential and can sell his program to their young athletes.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

This doesn't surprise me. Not all of the players in the portal necessarily left their schools voluntarily and definitely not all are top of the line talents. A lot of these players left to find more playing time somewhere else and there is a reason a lot of them were not getting much playing time. That 10% aren't picked up by someone is really not all that surprising.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post

That’s probably one of the things that makes Waterman so successful and valuable to HCGM. Seems he’s developed a great rapport with many of those coaches in NC. Gregg knows recruiting goes both ways and those high school coaches can be very influential and can sell his program to their young athletes.

Comment

• Fantastic interview. Damn, my excitement for this next roster is growing every day and just grew another six inches. I’m up to 8’6” now!

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I’ve noticed that also... he knows how to grease the wheel.
                              You say grease the wheel I say give respect where it’s due. Can it be both? I think so.

Comment

• Ranking the 25 best college basketball coaching hires of the last 25 years - ESPN

John Gasaway, ESPN Insider
                                April 30, 6:00 AM CT

First things first: Mike Krzyzewski and Jim Boeheim aren't here. They were hired 40 and 44 years ago, respectively, placing them well outside our "last 25 years" scan. Nevertheless, those were great hires. While we're handing out awards to the prehistoric past, let it be known that when Davidson hired Bob McKillop in 1989, he was the head coach at Long Island Lutheran High School. So, yeah, that would definitely make this list if it were eligible.

Last warning label. This list covers active college coaches only. It need hardly be added there have been truly amazing hires in the past quarter-century with respect to now-retired members of the profession (we see you, Bo Ryan), as well as those currently at the next level or perhaps in transit in between levels (hello, Billy Donovan, Brad Stevens and John Beilein).

Enjoy

1. Roy Williams, North Carolina Tar Heels (2003)...
                                2. Jay Wright, Villanova Wildcats (2001)...
                                3. Tom Izzo, Michigan State Spartans (1995)...
                                4. Bill Self, Kansas Jayhawks (2003)...
                                5. John Calipari, Kentucky Wildcats (2009)...
                                6. Tony Bennett, Virginia Cavaliers (2009)...
                                7. Mark Few, Gonzaga Bulldogs (1999)...
                                8. Leonard Hamilton, Florida State Seminoles (2002)...
                                9. Chris Beard, Texas Tech Red Raiders (2016)...
                                10. Bob Huggins, West Virginia Mountaineers (2007)...
                                11. Gregg Marshall, Wichita State Shockers (2007) - The Shockers earned a No. 1 seed and entered the 2014 NCAA tournament undefeated, and all they got for their troubles was a pairing in the round of 32 with statistically the greatest recruiting class of the one-and-done era (i.e., Kentucky). Note additionally Marshall's run of seven straight tournament appearances -- a record both at Wichita State and in the Missouri Valley...."
                                16. Kelvin Sampson, Houston Cougars (2014)...
                                24. Penny Hardaway, Memphis Tigers (2018)..."

Comment

Working...
                                X