Gregg Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meanwhile back at the ranch.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

I am curious as to why you have a dumpster fire as your emoji?
      Maybe he read this:

”A former Adidas consultant-turned-government witness, Gassnola outlined in his testimony cash transactions made or scheduled to top prospects, including multiple individuals who either signed with or were at one time targets of the Jayhawk men’s basketball program. That testimony and its surrounding documentation served as the foundation for the NCAA’s notice of allegations against KU, delivered last September and detailing five supposed Level I violations committed by the storied program. The NCAA and KU appear to agree that Gassnola played an impermissible role in the recruitment of at least three eventual Jayhawks — Billy Preston, Silvio De Sousa and Cheick Diallo — as well as one high-profile target — Deandre Ayton.”

Comment

• So much wrong information in this interview I don’t know where to start. This is some show on Fox Sports radio with Host Jason McIntyre. Interviewing a former Winthrop player.

Some of the worst fake news:

- Gregg has had only 2 players who have played in the NBA. lol

- Gregg hasn’t put many players in pro basketball. lol

- Gregg hasn’t been offered ‘big jobs’ because of his coaching style. lol

Comment

• McIntyre is a honk. Always has been.
          The Assman

Comment

• This is probably the most candid interview of a former player we will ever get, regardless of the moron conducting the interview. What the former player said is almost exactly the picture I have of what a Marshall program looks like on the inside. There are players who flourish in his system (Murry, Baker, VanVleet, Hall and others). But you can tell from his on-court personality (and what many who have watched practices have said) that he is a difficult coach to play for. That's not to say that he isn't a great guy outside of his duties as basketball coach.

When Bailey says Marshall's "formula" isn't conducive to relationships I don't doubt him at all. And while several of his players have gone on to the NBA I think there's also something to what was said about his roster management and keeping reigns on players. I'm sure that played a large part for at least a few of the transfers this year. That style worked in the MVC but may not work so well with the players you need to win in the AAC.

Until this year Marshall has yet to have to deal with a mass exodus of players before the end of their eligibility, so he probably hasn't felt like he needed to do any self-reflection on how he manages his program. I hope he has done that, as I'm not even close to feeling like he needs to move on. I think this program has another surge or two left under his leadership, but I fear it won't happen without some changes.

Go Shocks!

Comment

• It kinda grates on my nerves when I hear comments from players that Marshall doesn’t let them play their game. If we let Erik play his game, for example, we would get smoked. He’d be jacking up twice as many shots as he already does. These guys think they can take what they did in high school (in which they were probably the best player in their entire league) and apply that to a college game. Guys think they’re all going to the NBA and the college system they play in is holding them back from showing scouts what they can do. 3G has a job to win basketball games not just roll the ball out there and let the guys all think they’re the Harlem Globetrotters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                It kinda grates on my nerves when I hear comments from players that Marshall doesn’t let them play their game. If we let Erik play his game, for example, we would get smoked. He’d be jacking up twice as many shots as he already does. These guys think they can take what they did in high school (in which they were probably the best player in their entire league) and apply that to a college game. Guys think they’re all going to the NBA and the college system they play in is holding them back from showing scouts what they can do. 3G has a job to win basketball games not just roll the ball out there and let the guys all think they’re the Harlem Globetrotters.
                Agreed. The sheer number of players who have gone on to have long professional careers after leaving WSU would seem to reflect positively on the coaching they received. Not to mention the W-L record.

Also, I don’t really believe the coaches stifle their game. For one, I’ve heard Marshall make numerous comments about how he wants his guys to have the confidence to take open looks. It does seem like he wants them to do that within the structure of an offense and to play team ball as much as possible. I don’t see a problem with either of those things.

Comment

• Reminds me of the old riddle of who was the only person to hold Michael Jordan under 20 points a game (Dean Smith).

Comment

• Right and we’ve had so many Michael Jordan’s come through Wichita State.

*eye roll*

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                      Right and we’ve had so many Michael Jordan’s come through Wichita State.

*eye roll*
                      Chance Moore was the second coming of MJ. Just ask him.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Every single one of them has an opportunity to try out for NBA teams, whether that’s through a combine, G league, Euro ball, summer league, whatever. The only thing holding them back is their own skills, or lack thereof.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Agreed. The sheer number of players who have gone on to have long professional careers after leaving WSU would seem to reflect positively on the coaching they received. Not to mention the W-L record.

Also, I don’t really believe the coaches stifle their game. For one, I’ve heard Marshall make numerous comments about how he wants his guys to have the confidence to take open looks. It does seem like he wants them to do that within the structure of an offense and to play team ball as much as possible. I don’t see a problem with either of those things.
                          Basketball is a TEAM sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by giskard View Post

Basketball is a TEAM sport.
                            From what I read from your comment and pie n eye, it sounds like you agree with each other.

Comment

• I am dumber for even reading that. The world is full of could have beens...

Comment

• A fantastic letter from Garrett Stutz to incoming players (particularly at WSU, but also athletes in general).

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...241788551.html

I especially loved this part:

Coaches are there to coach on and off the court, and Coach Marshall is one of the best coaches in the country at separating on and off the court. There were many times he would yell and ride me through a three-hour practice, but the second it was over, he would pull me aside and say, ‘I can see you’re struggling. Come over for dinner and spend time with the family tonight.’ We have spent hours together never talking about basketball.

As far as on-the-court coaching goes, you’re going to get broken down at first. Every player goes through this, no matter how talented you are or how hard you work. The coaches are going to break you down with good reason: You are young, you don’t know everything and it’s not about you.

Comment

Working...
                                X