No announcement yet.

Question on fan noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh, the "what is acceptable fan behavior" post. Seems like this comes up about every year, sometimes in the form of being told to sit down, sometimes being told you're too loud, sometimes, being too negative.

I've had dozens of these encounters over the years, sometimes (but rarely) as the giver of "advice" but usually as the receiver.

When I was younger, I was much more vocal toward the refs at games, and I have caught crap for that over the years. Once I had kids and they started mimicing my behavior, I quit yelling so much at the refs. It just didn't sound as cool when my five year old was booing and chewing on the refs. I do miss that, though, and got to do some venting down in the USVI. That was fun.

I've been told I was too loud, I've been told my then six year old was too loud (I proceeded to switch spots with my son and teach the old man what the meaning of loud was), I've had people move because I was too loud, and seen several turn down their hearing aids. I've moved myself because people near me are too louldly negative, but never just because someone was being a loud, proud fan.

The only times I've ever called a fan out is when they are being loud and personally negative about a player or the team. (WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING MILLER? YOU'RE SIX TEN FOR GOD'S SAKE!) Stuff like that. I know I've posted on that topic many times in the last ten years. We've had for many years one such fan near us and I have had a couple of occasions to point out when I think he's an idiot. It seems like he's either toned down, moved, or changed his approach in the last year or two. (Lance, I am not referring to you!)

So, anyway, I think there are two times you should not be loud: 1) when you are ripping our team or a player; that's your right, I suppose, but I just don't like it. 2) when you don't know what the heck you're talking about. I do occasionally hear people screaming stuff that just makes you scratch your head and wonder if they've ever actually been to a basketball game. So, loud and negative, loud and stupid, get on my nerves. Everything else is fine.

Incidentally, I sat near Lynn at the USVI games. She's a hoot...and as loud, or louder, than I am. She's a great fan and a lot of fun to watch a game with

PS Last night I took to the game with non-WSU fan clients. I felt a little hemmed in on my ability to yell, so I won't be doing that again. They sure enjoyed the game, though!
    Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

My throat does really hurt today.

Comment

Strep is going around...
        Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

I was sitting in different seats last night (Sec 123, row 12 - thanks again, you-know-who!) and a guy came and sat in the seat next to me. A few minutes into the game he asks "who is the other team?" I would have thought that to be poor fan behavior, if he were a fan!

I blame "you-know-who" referenced above! :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
            Strep is going around...
            It has nothing to do with strep but thank you :good:

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929
              Originally posted by Shox21
              I'm curious. Just what age is the "old crowd" you keep referring to. You know, those that don't like the noise and leave early.

I'd say its any age that doesn't like the noise and leaves early. Well, any age that can drive itself to the game. So, 16-100?

Thank you. Just checking - because frankly I see more mid-20's to late 30's types with kids leaving early than I do "old" folks.

Comment

...2) when you don't know what the heck you're talking about. I do occasionally hear people screaming stuff that just makes you scratch your head and wonder if they've ever actually been to a basketball game...
                My favorite is people yelling "he's over the back"...no such call...

Comment

or: 'he's walking all over the place' and the always popular: 'let em play' which is usually followed by the entirely opposite sentiment of: 'get 'em off him'

Comment

Originally posted by dregn
                    ...2) when you don't know what the heck you're talking about. I do occasionally hear people screaming stuff that just makes you scratch your head and wonder if they've ever actually been to a basketball game...
                    As I have mentioned before, I believe that people calling for "over the back" fall into one of two categories:

1. People who have no knowledge of the rules, as you point out.

2. People who use "over the back" as short-hand for a player who is out of position going through the player boxing him out for the rebound. Clearly, if a player can elevate for the ball without contact, there is no foul for doing so while being boxed out. However, when a player jumps into or climbs the back of another player boxing him out, then a foul has been committed. I have no problem with people using the term "over the back" to describe this, even if "into the back" would be more accurate.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Sitter
                      or: 'he's walking all over the place' and the always popular: 'let em play' which is usually followed by the entirely opposite sentiment of: 'get 'em off him'
                      That's classic Hill Sitter... you must also be in section 112.
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Re: Question on fan noise

Originally posted by HockeyShock
                        Has anybody else here been yelled at by any of their neighbors in CKA for being too loud during a game?

I'm loud. I'm never vulgar, I try not to be insulting, but I'm loud. I was especially loud at some of the officiating tonight, and it was after the chop block in the second half that the old guy sitting in front of me turned around and yelled at me to calm down.

My friends had my back, but I was determined to keep the peace in the section, so I accepted the guy's tongue-lashing and told my friends to stand-down, this was all supposed to be fun after all.

After the game I tapped the old guy on the shoulder and offered an apology. He shook my hand, and proceeded to bawl me out again - saying that I was annoying everybody in the section.

Now, I don't believe that, but I know that I am the most obnoxious person in the section, so I'm sure that I annoy somebody. Still, if I'm keeping the language PG (which I do), and I'm not being insulting to anyone (which I don't, I don't even insult the refs) isn't what I'm doing what one is supposed to do at a college basketball game?

I guess I'm missing some piece of etiquette about how to be properly loud.

:clap: :wsu_posters: :yahoo: :clap:
                        Tell him to shut the f up and that if he doesn't like it to not come anymore. There are plenty of people who are true fans that will pay for his ticket. Don't take that BS, you do what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                          Originally posted by dregn
                          As I have mentioned before, I believe that people calling for "over the back" fall into one of two categories:

1. People who have no knowledge of the rules, as you point out.

2. People who use "over the back" as short-hand for a player who is out of position going through the player boxing him out for the rebound. Clearly, if a player can elevate for the ball without contact, there is no foul for doing so while being boxed out. However, when a player jumps into or climbs the back of another player boxing him out, then a foul has been committed. I have no problem with people using the term "over the back" to describe this, even if "into the back" would be more accurate.
                          I would say most fall in category one. I know that I've used it in some conversations with those who know the rules just beacuse we know what eachother is talking about. However, there are many coaches I deal with that still don't understand that there's no over the back call and simply think if the guy is behind them he can't get the rebound.

As far as being loud, Hockey should continue based on the info given. I only have problems with those who are vulgar. Well, and those who constantly yell and obviously have no clue about the rules or how the game is played.

As for myself, I'll admit I'm not a loud person. I've never been someone who yells and screams for much of anything. I've done it a couple of times but it just doesn't come naturally to me. I'll stand and clap and once in a while might let out a yell. Sorry for being a bad fan and not yelling and screaming :D
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I could be wrong, but I do not believe that carrying the ball is in the rule book, but it is a double-dribble. Last time I officiated, 15 years ago, the carrying symbol was not in the rule book, and I do not believe that symbol is in the book still.

Comment

Originally posted by WSU and Reds Fan
                              I could be wrong, but I do not believe that carrying the ball is in the rule book, but it is a double-dribble. Last time I officiated, 15 years ago, the carrying symbol was not in the rule book, and I do not believe that symbol is in the book still.
                              It is in the rule book now.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by InWuWeTrust
                                i noticed marshall in the 2nd half with one hand above his ear and the other hand waving up and down trying to get the crowd to be louder.

Well this has happened almost every game so far. As a fan of coaches in general and this coach in particular, I keep one eye trained on HCGM most of the time.

Frankly, I am at the point where I know he is questioning the stories he has been fed about KA. It got really loud one time and he gestered with his arms as if to say, Hey, what do you know, it can actually get as loud as I have been told, and just as fast it went silent again.

I do not know what it takes to get our fans to be more into games. I realize that with a 20+ point lead we aren't going to be standing and screaming on every possession but on the other hand what is the home court worth? Right now, it's not much. I know most of you here are vocal, but more aren't and as a whole we really blow. The kids are going to be up against it at some point in the future and I can just see it now.....people will get frustrated and start with the negative crap and I am already at my boiling point with this issue.

I sit low and amongst the corporate folks. Nobody wants me standing in front of them but that's exactly what has been happening and what is going to happen more and more often. If things don't change someone is going to pop off to me and tell me to sit my fat ass down and then it won't be pretty. I am about the most mild mannered person you will ever meet unless you hit one of my few hot buttons, family, friends, staff or WSU.

All I'm saying is get off your butt, cheer for your team and not against the other team, get your neighbors off their butts, and if you don't want me blocking the view of the 27+ rows behind me then you better stand up yourself or ask me nicely to buy your tickets.

Our coach is dissappointed in all of us. Is this really the impression we want to be making this early? And if you are one of the yeahoosians that only get loud when things go good....what exactly are your expectations to this point and haven't they been met?

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Working...
                                X