No announcement yet.

Question on fan noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuff like this is never as cut-and-dried as it appears.

As long as it's relevant to the game and not unreasonable, be loud, be proud.

Last night I had someone right behind me who kept whistling (repeatedly) to get someone's attention (in another section, I presume). It was the loud, high-pitched, shrill kind of whistle. The kind that almost hurts the ears. It had nothing to do with the game or supporting the team. To me, that's just inconsiderate.

I remember at Shocker Madness during the 2-ball contest one of the kids who was a contestant had family sitting behind us. One of their kids had this blood-curdling scream and he/she was less than a foot from my ear. It was rediculously loud and the kid did it continually. The parents didn't do anything to try and bring the volume down. I have no problem with kids getting excited, particularly for their family, but at some point you have to recognize when it's over-the-top.

But as for what HockeyShock said, it sounds like he was just being a super fan!

Comment

If you're reading this board, you are most likely a good , loud fan.

So, I submit to all of you here this challenge for Friday: do your best to be even louder and more supportive and get those around you to do the same. That's the key. Some years its second nature but so far this year, some fans seem to need a push.

Let's show GM what our building can really be like. We all know its there and the sleeping masses are about to WAKE THE F UP. It will happen.

Comment

Too bad we couldn't get a "Shockernet Section" so the LOUD and PROUD could work together to get the rest of the arena going. Put us in an area where those around us would feel funny sitting down and being quiet.

Comment

bringing it Friday night

I feel for ole crabbypants as I will be sitting right next to Hockey on Friday and I am equally as loud and obnoxious. I blame the 3A sports we grew up watching, the repressed rage of nerds, the Scott Thompson era as well as the free tickets we got when we were in SGA...gone are the days, but I digress. Can't wait to light it up on Friday night! :clap:
          The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence,
          regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.
          Vincent T. Lombardi (1913 - 1970)

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyShock
            Originally posted by Shocka Lutha King
            Be Loud Be Proud! I Yell Like I am in the front row of a hockey game. All the way in 118 row 28.

Just because some have labeled this a rebuilding/learning year doesn't mean the crowd should sit on their hands. Get up and Scream, Yell, Bellow, Shout and if you need help follow the lead of the cheerleaders or the band!
            Whoa! Hold up! 118 row 28? I'm in 118 row 30! According to the old guy, you should be annoyed by me!

:clap: :wsu_posters: :yahoo: :clap:
            I'm 118 row 22. I have to say most of the group around me is decent. And they put up with me :)
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
              Too bad we couldn't get a "Shockernet Section" so the LOUD and PROUD could work together to get the rest of the arena going. Put us in an area where those around us would feel funny sitting down and being quiet.
              I believe alot of us are in Sec 118. But I agree, kinda like an extended student section :)
              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Every year before the start of the Red-Blue scrimage, while Lute is speaking to the audience, he encourages the fans to boo the officials and get in season form. There are two reasons why teams have home field advantages. One is the crowd picking up the home team and the other is the crowds ability to affect officials decisions. That's not "supposed" to happen, but they are human and to some degree the fans can have an affect on calls. No fan should ever be asked to be quiet as long as they are keeping it clean.

Comment

I'm also in 118. Can't say that I heard you last night Hockey. Better make it louder on Friday :yahoo: :good:

Id rather hear you guys yelling than the annoying opposing fans, like the younger girl from Wyoming.

Comment

Originally posted by AG1219
                    I'm also in 118. Can't say that I heard you last night Hockey. Better make it louder on Friday :yahoo: :good:

Id rather hear you guys yelling than the annoying opposing fans, like the younger girl from Wyoming.
                    Good lord that girl was annoying. Seems like they always put opposing fans at the top of our section LOL.

Comment

2 years ago, the old guy behind me in section 123 tapped my 7 year old son on the shoulder and told him to not stand on his seat (my son is still shorter than me even when standing on his seat). I first told the guy not to touch my son again, and then informed him he'd better keep his opinions to himself, or he'd have me standing on my son's seat the rest of the year. Look, we pay for our seats to be able to enjoy ourselves in ways we can't always at work. I'm with others who say "YELL LOUDER", and if you want to stand in your seat (if you're 3 1/2' tall), have at it!!"

Comment

Re: re:

Originally posted by Uncle Rico
                        I personally think the crowd is a JOKE this year. Excitement and noise level is the lowest its been in years. I don't get it. I guess our fans just now expect to win and don't get too excited anymore. This isn't the atmosphere Marshall was expecting when he signed on.
                        The problem is not the fans at the game (partly, I guess), it's the fans NOT at the game. To many seats open.

a. Corporate holders are not being good stewards.

b. The students are not filling out the GA seats (this is not a dig at those who are there, but still the numbers are down).

c. There is a huge whole in Section 122 (every game so far)

The other key to getting people on their feet is the LOWER BOWL has to take the lead. If you STAND, others WILL FOLLOW (or not see the game).

Also the Cheerleaders could actually take the lead and do their job to try and get the crowd going and into the game (at least at critical times). This crew frankly doesn't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by GarH
                          Every year before the start of the Red-Blue scrimage, while Lute is speaking to the audience, he encourages the fans to boo the officials and get in season form. There are two reasons why teams have home field advantages. One is the crowd picking up the home team and the other is the crowds ability to affect officials decisions. That's not "supposed" to happen, but they are human and to some degree the fans can have an affect on calls. No fan should ever be asked to be quiet as long as they are keeping it clean.
                          I guarantee the crowd had a play in the reversal of out at first base durin the super regional in baseball this year....loud crowds can definatly help

Comment

i noticed marshall in the 2nd half with one hand above his ear and the other hand waving up and down trying to get the crowd to be louder.

Comment

I'm curious. Just what age is the "old crowd" you keep referring to. You know, those that don't like the noise and leave early.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21
                                I'm curious. Just what age is the "old crowd" you keep referring to. You know, those that don't like the noise and leave early.

I'd say its any age that doesn't like the noise and leaves early. Well, any age that can drive itself to the game. So, 16-100?
                                "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                                -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
                                X