No announcement yet.

Question on fan noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always wonder about the intense excitement over the T-shirts and balls being thrown out. They have corporate sponsorship all over them, most are thrown to the lower portions of the stadium, where those "corporate" seats and those with higher donation can afford to pay for them. Now I know that not spending money is a way of accumulating money, but free T-shirts at a game. I think they should be lets to the kids, the future fans of the program as they get the most excitement anyway!

The only difference to this would be if they ever do the promotion to give everyone a t-shirt to get the whole arena in yellow. But even then lot of people never wore them!

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutelyShocking
      I always wonder about the intense excitement over the T-shirts and balls being thrown out. They have corporate sponsorship all over them, most are thrown to the lower portions of the stadium, where those "corporate" seats and those with higher donation can afford to pay for them. Now I know that not spending money is a way of accumulating money, but free T-shirts at a game. I think they should be lets to the kids, the future fans of the program as they get the most excitement anyway!

The only difference to this would be if they ever do the promotion to give everyone a t-shirt to get the whole arena in yellow. But even then lot of people never wore them!
      Why in the bloody blue blazes do they throw white t-shirts out? That seems completely counterproductive to Jim's goal of getting the arena decked out in yellow.

T

...8)

Comment

1972 -

But again, I think the flyer is more about being loud than standing...and people should be respectful to those around them both ways. In this example your parents should respect the peoples right to be loud as they want, and they should respect that your parents cannot stand the entire game and maybe only stand during good runs and game changing situations.

Everyone has a right to be there, it just seems that many people are sitting quietly thinking that the people around them will be offended if they are loud.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded

Why in the bloody blue blazes do they throw white t-shirts out? That seems completely counterproductive to Jim's goal of getting the arena decked out in yellow.

T

...8)
          I think those are the Ashley Furniture Store T-Shirts. My guess is Ashley said here is what we will donate. I've never caught one but my guess is that those are not the highest quality T-Shirts in the world. In other words they are cheap.

Personally, when I wear my Shocker yellow I just as soon not have one side of the shirt as a billboard for a business enterprise.

Comment

My policy is that if I get catch a T-Shirt or Mini-Ball I will try to find a young fan to give it to, if my grandkids aren't with me.

At the baseball games if you catch a foul ball, you generally will get booed if you don't give the ball to a kid. (Which again I have done a number of times).

If you really, really, really need a free T-Shirt badly I would recommend attending a Women's Basketball game. Your chances of snagging a shirt go up astronomically. (Unfortunatley).

Comment

I have also been told that im obnoxious and loud. I scream my lungs out when the shock-o-meter comes on, and i normally dont have a voice the day after the game, but hey i have fun. and thats the point!
              I have my jersey, my flashing sunglasses, my t-shirts, my shoes, now all I have left to do is...Wait for Basketball Season!

Comment

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:43 pm Post subject:
                C0|dB|00ded wrote:
                AbsolutelyShocking wrote:

T

...Cool

I think those are the Ashley Furniture Store T-Shirts. My guess is Ashley said here is what we will donate. I've never caught one but my guess is that those are not the highest quality T-Shirts in the world. In other words they are cheap.

Personally, when I wear my Shocker yellow I just as soon not have one side of the shirt as a billboard for a business enterprise.
                I agree. I once caught a cap while seated in the student section. The sponsors name was on the back of the cap. Before wearing the cap I removed the sponsors name!

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                  1972 -

While some may say that all fans should stand and cheer the entire game, no one expects your parents or others that cannot do it to give up thier seats. It won't happen, and when I am 80 and cannot stand the entire game anymore, I still won't give up mine (which by then hopefully penetrate row 20.

But the issue I think, is what happens when the people in front of your parents stand the entire game, making it almost impossible for them too see? Should they have to sit down to allow your parents to see, or should they be allowed to stand and be as loud as they like(as long as it's not vulgar)?
                  I agree that is the dillemma. I'm sure the answer you would get depends on whether you ask the people who are standing the whole game or whether you ask the people whose view is being blocked.

However, I do have a way to encourage everyone to stand for the entire game. Simply remove all the seating.

Now as far as getting people to cheer the entire game, I am still thinking about that. My initial thought has something to do with cattle prods.

:D

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                    Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                    1972 -

While some may say that all fans should stand and cheer the entire game, no one expects your parents or others that cannot do it to give up thier seats. It won't happen, and when I am 80 and cannot stand the entire game anymore, I still won't give up mine (which by then hopefully penetrate row 20.

But the issue I think, is what happens when the people in front of your parents stand the entire game, making it almost impossible for them too see? Should they have to sit down to allow your parents to see, or should they be allowed to stand and be as loud as they like(as long as it's not vulgar)?
                    I agree that is the dillemma. I'm sure the answer you would get depends on whether you ask the people who are standing the whole game or whether you ask the people whose view is being blocked.

However, I do have a way to encourage everyone to stand for the entire game. Simply remove all the seating.

Now as far as getting people to cheer the entire game, I am still thinking about that. My initial thought has something to do with cattle prods.

:D
                    All excellent ideas!
                    The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

• I think this thread is much ado about nothing. The best games I have ever attended with respect to fan noise were big games ie IOWA in the sub-regional, the Tulsa games in the mid 1980's, Florida State in the NIT and CU when Matt hit the game winning shot at the buzzer. That is not going to happen every game and it is unrealistic to expect it to.

There are four seats below me in section 126 that if the people have shown up they sit relatively passively. My wifes banks tickets are usually used by folks that just sit there and don't get into a game. There are examples of this all over the arena and I do not think any amount of instruction are going to get these people to stand and get into the games.

Frankly I have thought the crowd noise was pretty good this year and is getting better. I do think that the crowd responds to good play and the players respond to crowd noise when they are playing well. Being loud all of the time even when the Shox are struggling is not realistic if it is even a good idea.

The crowd noise was decent many times in the 1990's when the team was not very good. I believe that some here believe that the crowd has a greater impact on the game than they really do. Has anyone done a study to see if the other team shoots free throws worse when they are at the student end as compared to the other end.

At the UMBC game one of their players mouthed "oh my god" to another player when the music was playing loud and the crowd was standing and clapping just prior to the game. At the Ark Pine Bluff game the players really responded to the atmosphere and the nearly full arena prior to the game. They obviously were charged up by the atmosphere. There are hundreds of Div. 1 schools that would love to have the crowds and atmosphere that we have at KOCH.

Comment

• By the way, I am bringing my Dad (who is in his seventies) to the game tonight. Since he doesn't normally get to attend, could we be extra loud to guarantee that he experiences true Shocker mania. I'll thank you all in advance since I know that I can depend on fellow shockernetters to provide the necessary "bonkers" atmosphere :clap: .
                        The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Working...
                        X