Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next season outlook.....good, bad or indifferent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
    Originally posted by ShockerFever
    Originally posted by KC Shox
    Who cares?
    You do for sure. Or else I expect to see no basketball posts from you starting November 2011 on.
    Ok..

Who cares right now?
    Would you rather talk about this year! :blink:
    I just don't see how next year is any better.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Valley defenses PACK IT IN on Durley and Stutz. There's hardly any room for a slasher like DK or TM. WANTED - BIG-TIME 3 PT. THREATS!!!!

Get a couple guards who can stroke it from deep to open up the inside a bit more. We haven't had an Ogirri in some time. Got to have the in and out game to score consistenly in Valley play.

If either DK or TM was a legitamate 3 pt THREAT game in and game out to score 3-5 three-pointers per game...that would be cool. BUT unfortunently their not. Collapse the defense and make Stutz and Durley beat you. Oh and when your collapsing defense...DK and TM don't have much room to slash. Which is what both those guys do best. They just can't get to the rim much in Valley play.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
        Originally posted by KC Shox
        Who cares?
        You do for sure. Or else I expect to see no basketball posts from you starting November 2011 on.
        Ok..

Who cares right now?
        Would you rather talk about this year! :blink:
        I just don't see how next year is any better.
        Because were fans. Fans of every athletic team anywhere have optomism. We have some recruits who are supposed to help us out and some good guys coming back. We love our team, and will love our team if we win 25 games or lose 25 games. No matter what happens that hope is always going to be there, the optomism, the want for our team to do good.

Comment

Fans can be optimistic and can also be realistic.

I'm just kinda tired of having 1 NCAA appearance in 23 years. Maybe that's just me, but always saying "next year" is old and too much like the Cubs.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

It's not looking good. EO and Stutz are low-major, talent wise, if even that (hey, can we take off the kid gloves now, since Marshall won't). Much like Bambi, Murry can't handle the bright lights.. even the MVC bright lights. He might need to transfer if the MVC is that tough for him. Kyles is severely limited.. he CANNOT make a layup unless it's 100% unguarded (stop wishing for him to drive it, people.. he can't convert like that).

Ragland is good, but that stuff about starting Murry at point guard.. man.. Ragland would have like 18 assists to 3 turnovers off the bench over a three game stretch, and still Marshall didn't want his guy Murry to feel bad.. that F'ed up both Murry and Ragland in the end. Coach gets a low grade for that move.

I can't go on.. except to say Odum ate Stutz for lunch down low. Odum.

Comment

I'll be happy if we win 17 games next year and go 9-9 in the Valley.

I hope Carl Hall is very successful, but how many times have we over-hyped new recruits only to see them turn out to be perhaps only average BB players?

Comment

Will still have 2 or 3 players that need to move on. Marshall needs to bring in players with heart and that are winners.

Comment

This was supposed to be our big year followed by us Dancing. People expect many of us to over-hype our beloved Shockers. However, the experts mostly thought we would win the Valley and many picked us to win the Lou with an experienced team of mostly Juniors and Seniors. We lose 3 bigs and Hatch. We have signed Carl Hall and 3 Frosh. I hope we find room for at least 2-3 more KEY recruits and reload. Even then, we will probably be picked somewhere around the middle of the pack?
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

I see us still picked in the top 5. We have enough returning talent and experience. If I was a betting person I'd say 4th or 5th.

I am still interested in seeing how Carl Hall will fit into the voids we're going to have. He sounds like an exciting player. Evan Wessel will be interesting, although past experience would make me think he's going to take some time to adjust to D1 basketball, but who knows?

You know what's interesting? That point guard from Ind. St--he's just a scrawny looking guy, but he was impressive in terms of being a leader and getting things done. Now, I'm not trying to downplay the importance of being physically strong and the weight room, but so much was made especially early on about how we looked like a 'BCS-type' team with our size/length. That's all well and good, but I'd trade a little of that for some leadership on the court and a 'go-to' guy.

Comment

Originally posted by GarH
                      Will still have 2 or 3 players that need to move on. Marshall needs to bring in players with heart and that are winners.
                      Marshall needs to coach.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by GarH
                        I have a feeling we'll see that. When the pressure is on the coach, the pressure gets transferred down to the players. It's the top-down effect.

Just like anytime anything ever goes 'wrong'. There's rarely ever only one thing to lay blame on. There's responsibility to be shared amongst the players--particularly if they don't run the game plan that the coaches lay out.

With that said, the buck stops with the coach. It's up to him to make the adjustments to overcome this setback. We'll see if he can do that as we move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker
                          It's not looking good. EO and Stutz are low-major, talent wise, if even that (hey, can we take off the kid gloves now, since Marshall won't). Much like Bambi, Murry can't handle the bright lights.. even the MVC bright lights. He might need to transfer if the MVC is that tough for him. Kyles is severely limited.. he CANNOT make a layup unless it's 100% unguarded (stop wishing for him to drive it, people.. he can't convert like that).

Ragland is good, but that stuff about starting Murry at point guard.. man.. Ragland would have like 18 assists to 3 turnovers off the bench over a three game stretch, and still Marshall didn't want his guy Murry to feel bad.. that F'ed up both Murry and Ragland in the end. Coach gets a low grade for that move.

This is pretty spot-on, especially the Marshall and Murry analysis. No matter what TM did, Marshall just ignored what was actually happening on the court and continued to think in the freshman year mindset. That really threw us off at spots and I think personally cost us at least 3 games, 3 games that could be the difference between the NCAA's and the NIT.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker

This is pretty spot-on, especially the Marshall and Murry analysis. No matter what TM did, Marshall just ignored what was actually happening on the court and continued to think in the freshman year mindset. That really threw us off at spots and I think personally cost us at least 3 games, 3 games that could be the difference between the NCAA's and the NIT.
                            i was thinking 3G wanted to help keep toure's confidence up. that said wsu should be top 2 in the conference again next year without a problem.

coaches improve like players do, 3G should learn a lot from this season, if he doesnt then he will never be a great coach.

Comment

I agree that is what HCGM was doing. Might have cost us this game. No, we won't be picked higher than 4th or 5th.

Comment

Who cares what we are picked to finish next year? What is important to me is how this do. A lot of this team's problems were due to not having somebody to step up when things started to fall apart. This is a lot of talent on this team, but somehow the total ended up being less than the sum of the parts.

Obviously, this year has been a disappointment, but overall this has been a good year. While this team loses quite a bit after this year, if they can find a way to blend the talent that will be on the team into something more than what they are individually, they could surprise people. It is why they play the games.

Comment

Working...
                                X