Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next season outlook.....good, bad or indifferent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next season outlook.....good, bad or indifferent.

Everyone, lean back, take a deep breath and understand this team was not as good as the record shows. Going 4 - 4 in our last 8 games, 14 wins against teams with an RPI of over 150 and no wins against the top 100, should have been a wake-up slap to the face for everybody.

We benefited tremendously with a soft non-con schedule and a down year for the Valley. In fact, in a normal Valley year, this team finishes in the Top 5 instead of the Top 2.

Tonight's loss sucked, but now I'm thinking of next year and how well this team will perform. Toure's offense has disappeared, we lose a lot down low and a big replacement in Carl Hall and his health issues is down right scary, Stutz is not getting any quicker or more athletic to be dominate, EO still has a lot to learn and the Valley will be better.

Heck, I'm sick to death of going to the NIT this season, but I will be hoping the NIT will be a possibility next season. Is this team going to turn the corner next year?

Marshall can't coach and our players aren't very good either. Maybe these freshman can show something and I'll have some hope for 4 years from now.

Comment

Right now I'd say we're a middle of the pack team next year, likely picked 4-6. Marshall certainly does some things that mystify this armchair coach, but the players have to make plays, and far too often that didn't happen this year.

This year's team did underperform to preseason expectations, but maybe this is really who they are. Not an awful team, but not a great one either. Just a good team. Good wins you some games, but rarely championships.
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Marshall can coach.
        Is too much depth a problem? Maybe not so much if the athletes were the calibur we thought they were. Our performance was that of a squad that was 10 deep with all being average players.

In order to be a top team - we need a league MVP and leader. Anyone, anyone?

Comment

Next year's pre-season top 3:

Creighton
          Indiana St.
          Wichita St.

Something also seems familiar about this year, as though it's 2005 again. The senior class that got us into consecutive NITs departs and their replacements get us to the NCAA.

I really expect Carl Hall to bring a different element to this team we haven't seen in awhile. We'll need Stutz and Murry to get their games back, Kyles to gain some consistency and Williams to grow into a solid sub. Fortunately, I'm not a betting man.

Comment

If Hall's health is OK he will be a great, and needed addition. I don't know if he could make 1st team all Valley next year but we might need that. I don't expect a lot of help from the freshmen.

It's to early to give a prediction really. The roster is far from set.
            In the fast lane

Comment

It will iikely be Ragland's team next year. Smith needs to be a consistent 12 point guy and develop as more of an offensive threat going to the rack - a role I wished upon Murry and Kyles but have given up on.

For our own sanity, we really need to think of this as 2005, where the players hit their ceiling and that's all they could give. Unfortunately, it will take Hall 1/2 of the season to get rolling and by then it will be too late for a special season.

Mid-pack in the MVC and another home NIT loss. Year 7 might be Marshall's sweet year, like Turgeon's was.

Comment

Yeah and I wonder who we unexpectedly loose this year. Seems to happen every year we cut a guy or two that we may not have expected, or he "cuts" us

Comment

We have 4 new guys coming in next year as of right this moment. I expect 2 or 3 more new faces. Impossible to do very well given that amount of turnover.

Comment

I think Royal is pretty much on target.

There may be more parity in the MVC next year but I'm not sure it will be any better than this year. A lot of talent moving on.

Questions to be answered:

1. How will Garrett perform as the primary big man in the middle.
                    2. Will Carl Hall be as good as advertised.
                    3. Can Toure, DK and Demetric figure out how to put their physical talents to good use on the basketball court on a consistent basis without offsetting everything good they do with a brain cramp.
                    4. We have our point guard. 3G keeps saying how he can really stroke it in practice but that has not carried over to games on a consistent basis. Will he become more of a gamer with his shooting next year,.
                    5. Ben may be the most predictable product we have coming back.
                    6. Can E.O. develop into a 10-12 minute a game backup center.
                    7. How much production, if any, will we get out of Jake White, Evan Wessell and Tekele Cotton.
                    8. Will Jerome Hamilton be in the mix or will we pick-up a decent Juco to replace him.

Comment

Who cares?
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                        Who cares?
                        You do for sure. Or else I expect to see no basketball posts from you starting November 2011 on.

Comment

Who cares?
                          +1. What is this Shocker basketball you speak of and who is this Marshall character you keep referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                            Who cares?
                            You do for sure. Or else I expect to see no basketball posts from you starting November 2011 on.
                            Ok..

Who cares right now?
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                              Who cares?
                              Ok..

Who cares right now?
                              Would you rather talk about this year! :blink:

Comment

Working...
                              X