Fire Todd Butler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
    I wonder, wonder who wrote The Book of Love.

Suppose Kevin Hooper is hired as the new baseball coach. Further suppose the hiring is announced in early June 2017.

How will these events affect baseball, season ticket sales? Projected year over year revenues? (16-17 v. 17-18)

Just wondering.
    Should help but no one knows the numbers for sure. ADDB gets paid to make the best guestimates on that. And it is not just how many more season tickets will you sell if you hire Hoop but how many fewer will be renewed if your retain Todd Butler. Furthermore, it is not just the season ticket sales that need to be looked at. How much would individual game tickets sales be helped? How much will concesiion revenues be helped?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
      I wonder, wonder who wrote The Book of Love.

Suppose Kevin Hooper is hired as the new baseball coach. Further suppose the hiring is announced in early June 2017.

How will these events affect baseball, season ticket sales? Projected year over year revenues? (16-17 v. 17-18)

Just wondering.
      Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Should help but no one knows the numbers for sure. ADDB gets paid to make the best guestimates on that. And it is not just how many more season tickets will you sell if you hire Hoop but how many fewer will be renewed if your retain Todd Butler. Furthermore, it is not just the season ticket sales that need to be looked at. How much would individual game tickets sales be helped? How much will concesiion revenues be helped?

Oh crap, I got sucked back into this thread again.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• If the current standings hold, this is no where near what anyone at WSU, including the AD, could remotely call successful, or acceptable, finish for a 4th year at the helm. Success in the Valley is the most minimal of any required goal for the salary being paid.

I would rather finish near the bottom of the American next year with a new coach than doing the same with a coach in his 5th year getting paid $300,000 plus. Disgraceful.

Comment

• As someone who does not follow Shocker baseball closely, I can always tell when they've had a bad weekend.....there are fresh posts on the 'Fire Todd Butler' thread.

That being said, I think 4 years is way long enough to give the man to turn this program around. Hard to believe we have regressed under him.

Comment

• Tabor just had its 7th straight 40-win season under Standiford.

Comment

• Todd Butler is like the hiring of Scott Thompson in basketball. I remember everyone spoke of his pedigree but he had absolutely no relationship with the history of the program. 4 years later he was fired.

Comment

• Originally posted by wheathead View Post
                Todd Butler is like the hiring of Scott Thompson in basketball. I remember everyone spoke of his pedigree but he had absolutely no relationship with the history of the program. 4 years later he was fired.
                What is different is the sweetheart contract they gave Butler. I agree wholeheartedly that 4 years is more than enough to show progress. Why they gave him a 7-year deal without a reasonable buyout at the end of 4 years is the big issue here.

I doubt that there is anyone outside of Butler's family and close friends that thinks he has done a good enough job to be retained. It all comes down to ADDB's evaluation of the bottom line financially IMHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                  As someone who does not follow Shocker baseball closely, I can always tell when they've had a bad weekend.....there are fresh posts on the 'Fire Todd Butler' thread.
                  This is true. Unfortunately the bad weekends have happened too oftne this season. Thus the problem.

Actually a 1-2 weekend against DBU was probably about the best most on here expected. Now the way it went down wasn't very encouraging either with the pitching struggles exhibited.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 8, 2017, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    This is true. Unfortunately the bad weekends have happened too oftne this season. Thus the problem.

Actually a 1-2 weekend against WSU was probably about the best most on here expected. Now the way it went down wasn't very encouraging either with the pitching struggles exhibited.
                    Sad we can't even go undefeated in a weekend that we play ourselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post
                      Sad we can't even go undefeated in a weekend that we play ourselves.
                      Hah! Good catch. :bball_spin:

Comment

• I almost made a fire Todd butler sign for tonight but I couldn't even be bothered to do that.

Comment

• Four years ago (2013) The Shockers finished second in the Valley with a 15-6 record, one game out of first place. They won the Valley tournament at the first place team's home field and went to an NCAA regional, finishing with an overall record of 39-28. That was enough to get Gene Stephenson fired.

Four years later we finish 5th in the Valley (Gene coached WSU teams NEVER finished that low ever in his entire career at WSU) with a 10-11 conference record and a 27-28 overall record.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                            Four years ago (2013) The Shockers finished second in the Valley with a 15-6 record, one game out of first place. They won the Valley tournament at the first place team's home field and went to an NCAA regional, finishing with an overall record of 39-28. That was enough to get Gene Stephenson fired.

Four years later we finish 5th in the Valley (Gene coached WSU teams NEVER finished that low ever in his entire career at WSU) with a 10-11 conference record and a 27-28 overall record.
                            Could be the dumbest move in the history of college athletics. SMH...
                            Last edited by Veritas; May 21, 2017, 12:44 AM. Reason: Insulting to the wool blankets

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                              Four years ago (2013) The Shockers finished second in the Valley with a 15-6 record, one game out of first place. They won the Valley tournament at the first place team's home field and went to an NCAA regional, finishing with an overall record of 39-28. That was enough to get Gene Stephenson fired.
                              You forgot to mention that Gene was also getting paid like a coach expected to go to Omaha but hadn't produced an at-large quality team in five seasons...and also was having some embarrassing off-the-field accusations.

Look, I'm totally in favor of making a change (and am told that it might be happening this offseason), but for the 1,989th time, let's stop with the narrative that Todd's failures prove that Gene should have been retained.
                              78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                                You forgot to mention that Gene was also getting paid like a coach expected to go to Omaha but hadn't produced an at-large quality team in five seasons...and also was having some embarrassing off-the-field accusations.

Look, I'm totally in favor of making a change (and am told that it might be happening this offseason), but for the 1,989th time, let's stop with the narrative that Todd's failures prove that Gene should have been retained.
                                .... and you got what you wanted. Gene's embarrassingly handled termination, a program that no longer has a national reputation as a baseball power, and a drop of local support. Feel better?

It does prove there are risks in firing a HOF coach who never had a losing season.

You chose poorly.

Comment

Working...
                                X