"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
      How many years remaining? Three?
      3 years remaining on a 7 year contract.

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
      How much to buy out?
      Somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.02MM. According to this article, his base salary was $300k, due to go up to $340k in June of this year.

Likelihood of buyout?
      Someone made a good point to me yesterday. If WSU can find $442K to change the light bulbs in Koch Arena, they sure as heck had better have the funding to buy out Butler already figured out. I understand not everything comes out of the same pot, but with university athletics, it's all a shell game anyway. I don't know if that makes it likely. It did raise my expectations that it should happen this year, or I will be very disappointed.

Source of funds?
      I have $50 cash and a promise to start attending baseball games again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
        How many years remaining? Three?

How much to buy out?

Likelihood of buyout?

Source of funds?
        Yes, three more years. Base salary was $300,000, but it included at least a $20,000 the first 2nd and 4th year.

Not encouraged a buy-out will happen this year. Maybe next year after he gets totally own in the American.

Comment

• He will be back folks, get used to it. He wil then be reassigned sometime next April. Hopefully, he will just resign at that point but probably won't and we will have to fire him in May.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
            He will be back folks, get used to it. He wil then be reassigned sometime next April. Hopefully, he will just resign at that point but probably won't and we will have to fire him in May.
            He will be reassigned sometime next April? During the season?

Comment

• The question ADDB has to address is what is costlier. Buying out Todd Butler and repalcing him with a solid hire with a common sense contract or continuing the status quo which is poor and declining fan support both in numbers and dollars for another 3 years. If not this year then what is the crossover point.

By this time next year, if he is still around, HCTB will probably start chirping to ADDB that the two years remaining on his contract is impacting his ability to recruit.

The $1 million buyout certainly works in HCTB's favor this year especially coming on top of whatever settlement the school made with Jody Adams and all the expenses of transitioning to a new conference including whatever ADDB agreed to sweeten the pot with to cover some of the logistical issues created by adding WSU to the AAC.

How much additional revenue could we expect over the next 3 years if Kevin Hooper or Mark Standiford were hired to take over next year? That's pretty much a guessing game but one that ADDB probalby needs to play as best he can.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                The question ADDB has to address is what is costlier. Buying out Todd Butler and repalcing him with a solid hire with a common sense contract or continuing the status quo which is poor and declining fan support both in numbers and dollars for another 3 years. If not this year then what is the crossover point.

By this time next year, if he is still around, HCTB will probably start chirping to ADDB that the two years remaining on his contract is impacting his ability to recruit.

The $1 million buyout certainly works in HCTB's favor this year especially coming on top of whatever settlement the school made with Jody Adams and all the expenses of transitioning to a new conference including whatever ADDB agreed to sweeten the pot with to cover some of the logistical issues created by adding WSU to the AAC.

How much additional revenue could we expect over the next 3 years if Kevin Hooper or Mark Standiford were hired to take over next year? That's pretty much a guessing game but one that ADDB probalby needs to play as best he can.
                As a Christian, Todd Butler will not steal from WSU but will retire with grace. He must know he is robbing the university, unless fADES hired him without any mention of winning games.

Please leave Todd and start a new career elsewhere. Good guy with poor results

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                  As a Christian, Todd Butler will not steal from WSU but will retire with grace. He must know he is robbing the university, unless fADES hired him without any mention of winning games.

Yes, that is another reasonable approach I guess. Prayer.

Look, as long as HCTB believes he is working hard and doing the beat he can he owes it to his family not to walk away from his contract. Not sure his faith will be a factor.

Comment

• I seem to remember hearing that the buyout drops in price at some point. Is it perhaps a case of the buyout is whichever is the lessor of $1M or equal to the remaining salary?
                    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                      I seem to remember hearing that the buyout drops in price at some point. Is it perhaps a case of the buyout is whichever is the lessor of $1M or equal to the remaining salary?
                      My understanding, which could easily be wrong, is that the buyout has always been whatever his reamining base salary was under the contract. Last year it was around $1.3 million. Next year the buyout will be $680k. Year after next it will be $340k. Assuming not contract extensions are granted. If ADDB grants HCTB a contract extension based on his performance so far he should be fired on the spot.

I don't beleive there was ny specific buyout provision similar to the $500k that Jody Adams had in her contract.

Now anything can be renegotiated but I am hard pressed to find a motivation for HCTB to want to do that. Perhaps the only thing would be as @Veritas suggested might be a pang of conscious or HCTB is so miserable it just isn't worth it to him ride it out. I think the latter is probably what happened to Giacoletti at Drake. He was just in a miserable situation. Not sure I sense that is the case with HCTB. BTW, I am not suggesting we try to make things miserable for him and his family other than bitching on Shocker net, staying home with our money in our pocket and expressing our opinions of his performance to his boss.

As @Veritas and others have said. We have a seemingly nice guy who just hasn't been able to get the job done. He is probably just in over his head same as the guy who hired him.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 26, 2017, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        Yes, that is another reasonable approach I guess. Prayer.

Look, as long as HCTB believes he is working hard and doing the beat he can he owes it to his family not to walk away from his contract. Not sure his faith will be a factor.
                        Let's pray it is...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• IMO, a buyout should be negotiated to be either 2/3rds base salary times years left on contract or full base salary times years left on contract minus one.

I know there are two sides to any negotiation, but that seems like a fair and ethical compromise given the reasons why a buyout would have to take place.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            IMO, a buyout should be negotiated to be either 2/3rds base salary times years left on contract or full base salary times years left on contract minus one.

I know there are two sides to any negotiation, but that seems like a fair and ethical compromise given the reasons why a buyout would have to take place.
                            If pursued this offseason, I think this is close to where the compromise would land. Time value of money and the opportunity to double dip while rehabbing one's career as an assistant elsewhere serve as motivation for the existing coach in those negotiations. Not always, but often.

We will see whether we have the bucks lined up.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                              IMO, a buyout should be negotiated to be either 2/3rds base salary times years left on contract or full base salary times years left on contract minus one.

You can always propose that. The worse that can happen is HCTB says no thanks.

Comment

How is he "stealing" from us when WE hired him and gave him this ridiculous contract? He'd be an absolute moron to "retire" from the job and leave all that money on the table.

Being a "Christian" has nothing to do with this either.

Just because you're doing a poor job at your place of work doesn't mean you're "robbing" or "stealing" from the company. It just means you suck at your job.

Also, having the back-up plan of a well negotiated contract means that if you're attempting to do your job to the best of your ability, which HCTB is doing, then the company that gave you that contract has to honor it.

We're going to have to pay that buy-out and it's silly to think he's going to just walk away from it, or even negotiate a cheaper buy-out. Nobody in their right mind should just leave hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table just to be a "nice guy" to a company about to fire them.

Comment

Working...
                                X