2015 MLB Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Vanderbilt has had 5 players selected in the first 3 rounds at #1, #8, #24, #101 and #103.
    And I think the Royals' first round pick was a Vandy commit.

Comment

Illinois State Sr. 3B Paul DeJong taken by the Cardinals in Round 4 at #131.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
        And I think the Royals' first round pick was a Vandy commit.

And may very well go to Vandy anyway. Tim Corbin is very, very good.

With Mo State headed to Fayetteville I started thinking about our 1999 regional. Missouri State beat us in the winner bracket game but Clemson ended up winning the regional. Jack Leggett's 2 assistant coaches that year were Tim Corbin and Kevin O'Sullivan. Crazy.

Comment

First 5 rounds plus 15 supplemental picks on the books so far. A relatively strong draft for the Valley so far with 7 players taken so far.

To recap:

1/#29 - RHP Jon Harris, MSU
          2/#57 - LHP Jeff Degano, INS
          3/#99 - RHP Drew Smith, DBU
          4/#111 - CF Tate Matheny, MSU
          4/#118 - RHP Brandon Koch, DBU
          4/#131 - 3B Paul Dejong, ILS
          5/#153 - RHP Chance Adams, DBU

Comment

Dayton Dugas:
            “We don’t have a (bonus) number yet, but I’m most likely 120-percent sure that if it’s past the third round I’m probably not signing,” he said. “That’s why it’s really good shot that I’ll make it to Wichita, which is really exciting because I know that I’ll really mature there. I’ll play my three years there, go to Omaha a few times and continue my career and I’ll be perfectly good with that."

Hmmm.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...#storylink=cpy

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
              Dayton Dugas:
              “We don’t have a (bonus) number yet, but I’m most likely 120-percent sure that if it’s past the third round I’m probably not signing,” he said. “That’s why it’s really good shot that I’ll make it to Wichita, which is really exciting because I know that I’ll really mature there. I’ll play my three years there, go to Omaha a few times and continue my career and I’ll be perfectly good with that."

Hmmm.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...#storylink=cpy
              And since we are well past that he could drop down due to signability concerns.

Here is the scouting report on Dayton from the MLB draft site:

Dayton Dugas | Rank: 142 School: Sam Houston HS (La.) Year: Senior Position: OF Age: 18 DOB: 6/9/1997 Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6'2" Weight: 225 lb.
              Commitment: Wichita State

Scouting grades: Hit: 40 | Power: 55 | Run: 55 | Arm: 50 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45
              It's easy to dream on Dugas, who has a big league body and an impressive set of tools highlighted by well above-average raw power. Multiple scouts have compared him to a young Matt Holliday, though Dugas also comes with concerns about his vision and his hitting ability. Dugas has the strength and leverage to hit tape-measure home runs. But he also has holes in his right-handed stroke, swings and misses too frequently and doesn't seem to recognize or track pitches well. There are questions about how well he sees the ball, though he submitted a vision test that gave him a clean bill of health to the Major League Scouting Bureau. If Dugas can make consistent contact, he could be a star. He has plus straight-line speed and likely will move from center field in high school to right field in pro ball. The Wichita State recruit has an average, accurate arm.

So I guess the big question is....................can he hit a D-1 curve ball?
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 9, 2015, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                And since we are well past that he could drop down due to signability concerns.

Here is the scouting report on Dayton from the MLB draft site:

Dayton Dugas | Rank: 142 School: Sam Houston HS (La.) Year: Senior Position: OF Age: 18 DOB: 6/9/1997 Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6'2" Weight: 225 lb.
                Commitment: Wichita State

Scouting grades: Hit: 40 | Power: 55 | Run: 55 | Arm: 50 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45
                It's easy to dream on Dugas, who has a big league body and an impressive set of tools highlighted by well above-average raw power. Multiple scouts have compared him to a young Matt Holliday, though Dugas also comes with concerns about his vision and his hitting ability. Dugas has the strength and leverage to hit tape-measure home runs. But he also has holes in his right-handed stroke, swings and misses too frequently and doesn't seem to recognize or track pitches well. There are questions about how well he sees the ball, though he submitted a vision test that gave him a clean bill of health to the Major League Scouting Bureau. If Dugas can make consistent contact, he could be a star. He has plus straight-line speed and likely will move from center field in high school to right field in pro ball. The Wichita State recruit has an average, accurate arm.

So I guess the big question is....................can he hit a D-1 curve ball.
                Sounds like he couldn't hit a HS curve ball.

Get the man some glasses, a la Wild Thing, and see what he can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                  Sounds like he couldn't hit a HS curve ball.

Get the man some glasses, a la Wild Thing, and see what he can do.
                  Well obviously he is does something well to be ranked #142. Apparently when he does connect it goes a long, long ways. Hopefully, MSU's Matt Hall gets drafted high enough to sign so Dayton doesn't have to see that guys perfectly located nose to toes breaker.

Personally, I think any player going in the Top 10 to 15 rounds is at high risk of signing.

Rounds 16 to 25 perhaps a medium risk.

And if they are drafted in rounds above 25 and they sign they probably didn't really want to go to college anyway.

Comment

Good news for Dayton Dugas. Matt Hall taken by Detroit in Round 6 at #190. Right on cue.

Comment

The one thing that watching the MLB draft does reinforce is how really tough it is to ever reach the Show for the overwhelming majority of players.

Comment

The minor leagues for most players is to be quality competition for the future MLB players. If you don't get drafted early where there is a institutional investment, the chances to sniff the MLB is very tough.

Comment

DBU RHP Cory Taylor goes 8/#246 to the Giants. A draft eligible Sophomore.

Comment

Kevin Kaczmarski, a 5th year senior, taken by the Mets at 9/#269. Kevin was done anyway but that will be one name a won't miss hearing. He has had more than just a little success against the Shocks.

Comment

Recap of Valley picks through the first 10 rounds plus 15 supplemental picks (315 players drafted so far):

1/#29 - RHP Jon Harris, MSU
                              2/#57 - LHP Jeff Degano, INS
                              3/#99 - RHP Drew Smith, DBU
                              4/#111 - CF Tate Matheny, MSU
                              4/#118 - RHP Brandon Koch, DBU
                              4/#131 - 3B Paul Dejong, ILS
                              5/#153 - RHP Chance Adams, DBU
                              6/#190 - LHP Matt Hall, MSU
                              8/#246 - RHP Cory Taylor, DBU
                              9/#269 - OF Kevin Kaczmarski, EVN

10 Valley players chosen. No Shocker players or Shocker recruits drafted at this point.

Rounds 11 through 40 tomorrow beginning at 11:00 CDT.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 9, 2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
                                I was surprised he lasted that long
                                I guess you aren't the only one. This writer considered Jon Harris as the 2nd best pick-up of the Draft on Day 1:

2. Jon Harris, RHP, Missouri State (Blue Jays, No. 29). An expected run on college pitchers in the teens never materialized, and Harris waited much longer than expected to hear his name called. The fourth-best college arm available has a higher floor as a starter than the three guys rated ahead of him, and Toronto never expected him to be undrafted at the pick it received as compensation for the loss of free-agent outfielder Melky Cabrera. Harris has a lively 92- to 94-mph fastball, three secondary pitches that flash plus at their best and an athletic 6-foot-4 frame.

Coverage includes audio and video clips, interviews, statistics, schedules and exclusive stories.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 9, 2015, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X