Shocks vs. Redbirds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iamsecond View Post
    I think we would have had a good bullpen coming into this season if we would have be able to keep (both) Gardners,McIntyre, Brummett from last year. Just my observation for what it is worth
    Got me to thinking how those guys are doing this year.

Kris Gardner is having a decent senior year at D-II St. Mary's in San Antonio. He is 8-2 with a 3.78 ERA.

Austin Gardner is playing this season at Cisco Junior College and has signed to play next year UT-Arlington. I could not find any stats on him for this season.

Mitch McIntyre has pitched 20 innings this year at Iowa Western Community College. He is 4-1 with a 2.25 ERA. Looks like Mitch will be heading to Indiana State next year so we could well see him pitching in Eck Stadium again.

Garrett Brummett is pitching at Emporia State. He is 3-1 with a 4.42 ERA so far this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamsecond View Post
      My question is, how can the fans be "delusional" when this year's recruiting class was ranked as high as they were in the country? Wouldn't you think Juco players with 2 years of experience and most of them draftable would be more seasoned players for D1 baseball than high school players coming in?
      Well he said because it takes time for JUCO players time to adjust to the speed of jumping up a level. Even though they are more mature they still have to get comfortatble. So you will see JUCO get better as the season progresses and most likely won't reach their full potential until their 2nd season (he used Dirks as example).

Comment

I had some driving time this afternoon, so I turned on the game. Botched double play, botched double play, stolen base with the ball ending up in center field and the runner on 3rd.

Kinda made me glad I more or less lost interest a few years ago.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

WSU Baseball

Aargh, have you taken the time to analyze the players on the team? Do you have any idea at all what their potential is? Do you know that this team lost their 2 best pitchers for the year in Sam Teves, & Willie Schwanke? Do you know how many players on last year's team were sent packing by HCTB? I've done all the research to answer those questions and I am encouraged by the potential for this team in the long run. They started 4 frosh yesterday. Next year's recruiting class is touted to be even better than this one. They are all frosh. I think there are 16 of them.

Gunnar Troutwine, the 6-2, 225 lb frosh DH, drove in 5 runs yesterday on 4 hits including 2 HR's, one of which went over the left field wall and landed on 21st St. He was touted as a "5-tool prospect". He is being groomed as a catcher. I sat in an Eck Stadium Skybox for the WSU, KU game 5 days ago along with 3 former WSU catchers including Brian Preston, #3 in career HR's at WSU, & the starting catcher the last time WSU went to the CWS in 1996. We were all impressed with the potential of Troutwine behind the plate in that game.

Comment

No question there is some talent on this team. Just not enough of it. The loss of Tewes and Schwanke were mortal blows to the pitching staff that lacked depth to begin with. The loss of those two guys greatly damaged our chances to at least be competitive in the Valley. Even Isaac Anderson, apparently our number 1 guy now missed a couple of starts and has been working his way back to 100%.

The same it true for the position players. We have a handful of solid players just not enough of them. Ryan Tinkham and Sam Hilliard in particular are leading the team offensively but there is a good chance they won't be back next year.

Hopefully, we will be better next year but I think it will be the year after next before we really have a chance to put a team with decent depth an experience on the field.

Comment

WSU coach Todd Butler started four freshmen after Friday’s loss and said that trend will continue. He wants to get Troutwine more at-bats. Third baseman Keenan Eaton went 2 for 4 with a double. Taylor Sanagorski pinch-hit and walked in the ninth and Butler wants to find more chances for him, as well.

“When you’re 13-21, you kind of want to start getting those younger guys experience so we can start building some experience in this program,” Butler said.”

The fall from first won’t stop until the Shockers find some relievers who can throw strikes, a situation exacerbated by injuries that force pitchers into bigger roles than expected. After years of watching the Shockers roll out enviable pitching staffs, nobody in the MVC is feeling sorry for them.

Comment

Good start...

0-3 ISUr Mid 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                  Good start...

0-3 ISUr Mid 1st.
                  At least it's not the bullpens fault.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                    At least it's not the bullpens fault.
                    Patience.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Patience.
                      I've read the cliff notes...I know how it ends!!!
                      :-)

Comment

2 botched DP balls to today. One to Rader at 2B and one to Vickers at SS.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          2 botched DP balls to today. One to Rader at 2B and one to Vickers at SS.
                          What should have been 4 outs was no outs.

The fielding and strikeouts have not been as bad of late. Not so today.

Comment

Score?

Comment

3-6 ISUr Bot 7

Shox threatening and need to score here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                                3-6 ISUr Bot 7

Shox threatening and need to score here.
                                Thx.

Comment

Working...
                                X