Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
    Complete bullshit.
    Maybe. It kind of depends on what is really behind the change of mind. If it is simply a vendetta to hurt Gene then it is bullshit. It would be nice to have more transparency on what is behind this decision. Or maybe it wouldn't. I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Maybe. It kind of depends on what is really behind the change of mind. If it is simply a vendetta to hurt Gene then it is bullshit. It would be nice to have more transparency on what is behind this decision. Or maybe it wouldn't. I don't know.
      What other possible reason could there be? It seems like it is either the vendetta you mentioned or a concern that the school could look worse if this is pursued (I don't have any idea how, but why else wouldn't you appeal especially given other recent rulings for far greater infractions). It was interesting that the NCAA committee thought very highly of Gene and the program he ran over the years and wasn't willing to let this be pinned on him. Maybe this is to allow all the emotions subside? Any chance we will wait a year or two and ask for the wins to be reinstated like Penn State did?

Comment

I agree if it is just to frost Gene more it is bad form. I certainly hope it isn't because there is more to find. That said, the NCAAs penalty was serious overkill. Restitution and the one year probation would have been about right for this level of violation. Based on what we got, UNC should never get to play any sports again for their "lack of class."
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
          What other possible reason could there be?
          I don't know. Maybe Gene triggered the vendetta by insulting Dr. Bardo.

Maybe the NCAA made some veiled threats to WSU that they would be put under a microscope if they didn't let this drop.

Maybe Under Armor for some reason wants this to end. They have already allegedly torpedoed the ShowTime deal. Not sure what other leverage they have.

Maybe it is a simple as that under the specific NCAA regulations there is no basis for appeal. I don't really know what the basis of Penn State's appeal was or if they even appealed to the NCAA or were taking their case to the Courts.

It is just not clear at all but we obviously don't have the full story.

Any chance we will wait a year or two and ask for the wins to be reinstated like Penn State did?
          I guess if Penn State did it we could do it was well. Again the legal technicalities are way beyond my pay grade.

Comment

Very surprising change of position. WSU seemed committed to appealing until just very recently. Plus you would think if Penn State could get their wins re-instated that the Shocks had a great shot at getting those wins re-instated. Even if they lose the appeal what have you lost?

Essentially, the bottom line is that Dr. Bardo stated he "decided that it is not in the best interest of the University to proceed with such an appeal."

To me the question is why and in what way is it not in the best interest of the University? Did something happen behind the scenes in recent days that caused this change of heart? Obviously, the relationship between Gene and WSU is icy at best. Seems like this will only make that ice a little bit thicker. I have to believe there is more to this than that they just decided that the committee acted within their authority. Some thing happened or someone got to Dr. Bardo and influenced his decision. I don't know what went on and probably will never know.

Notice that Dr. Bardo never said in his statement that he did not think they could win an appeal. He only said that the committee acted within their authority so I guess you could not appeal on the basis that the committee exceeded their authority. Not sure if that is the only basis of appeal or not. I doubt it.
            Agree that there may be aggravating Gene politics. So let's remove that from the equation. The WSU athletes deserve more.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

This one sentence sums it all up! "It is just not clear at all but we obviously don't have the full story."

Comment

I guess if Penn State did it we could do it was well. Again the legal technicalities are way beyond my pay grade.
                Well this raises an interesting point in that comparison. The Penn State deal was WAY out in the open when it was appealed. This is a very small deal. By challenging it, it makes it a bigger deal. By not challenging it, it sort of just goes away -- however with the upsetting consequence of vacated wins. Maybe they are just in "make it go away" mode and don't see the vacated wins as a big deal like we do?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  Well this raises an interesting point in that comparison. The Penn State deal was WAY out in the open when it was appealed. This is a very small deal. By challenging it, it makes it a bigger deal. By not challenging it, it sort of just goes away -- however with the upsetting consequence of vacated wins. Maybe they are just in "make it go away" mode and don't see the vacated wins as a big deal like we do?
                  One thing that I do believe is clear is that the vacating of the wins is way over the top for the infractions involved. And I think Dr. Bardo still believes that.

It is just not clear why they have decided to drop the appeal. However, at this point I don't think Dr. Bardo is the bad guy. I consider the NCAA to be the bad guy but they are probably just trying to show they are still in control despite the fact that we all know their power is being systematically usurped by the Power 5. I am even more interested now in seeing what they will do with UNC athletics.

Comment

This one sentence sums it all up! "It is just not clear at all but we obviously don't have the full story."
                    THIS.
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

It could be something as simple as cost analysis. They talk to their legal council that informs them they don't think there is going to be a good chance at the appeal, and also inform them it would take X hours and X dollars extra to persue, and they see the risk/reward isn't there. I just don't think the story is as juicy as some of you are wanting it to be.
                      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

I am even more interested now in seeing what they will do with UNC athletics.
                        Look the UNC situation is forgivable. That institution is under REAL pressure, because they generate REAL, meaningful cash flow. I don't think UNC deserves vacated wins, or undue pressure like "fines" or "probation". They'll get their act cleaned up by self-reporting continuing efforts to really make a difference. Besides, schools are all about low teacher to student ratios -- I mean that's a serious bragging right. So what could be a better ratio than 0 to 1? You can't get any lower than zero!! That's a perfect ratio, right!? UNC is just ahead of the curve on cutting edge teaching principles, waiting for the rest of the nation to catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                          It could be something as simple as cost analysis. They talk to their legal council that informs them they don't think there is going to be a good chance at the appeal, and also inform them it would take X hours and X dollars extra to persue, and they see the risk/reward isn't there. I just don't think the story is as juicy as some of you are wanting it to be.
                          It could be, but if that was the case why not simply say that was the reason. Why the need to be so cryptic?

There is a specific reason why they decided it is not in the best interest of the University. Why not disclose the reason or reasons that is the case?

Comment

It could be, but if that was the case why not simply say that was the reason. Why the need to be so cryptic?

There is a specific reason why they decided it is not in the best interest of the University. Why not disclose the reason or reasons that is the case?
                            When is any university completely transparent when it comes to NCAA decisions and their reasoning behind it? Typically it's legalese and vague statements in regards to legal happenings and NCAA infractions. I'm not reading into anything with this statement.
                            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                              Tell the public you are appealing it, then throw $10,000 at it and see what happens. The players deserve that, bare minimum, even if you know you are going to lose because you don't throw a serious sum of money at the problem. But to not even try? I'd like to go on record saying that I am willing to sacrifice the marble columns for concrete ones on the new "Experiential Engineering Building", just so we can say we fought for the students that DIDN'T HAVE A SINGLE THING TO DO WITH THIS MATTER against a terrible NCAA ruling. Is that too much to give up? Marble for concrete?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                Tell the public you are appealing it, then throw $10,000 at it and see what happens. The players deserve that, bare minimum, even if you know you are going to lose because you don't throw a serious sum of money at the problem. But to not even try? I'd like to go on record saying that I am willing to sacrifice the marble columns for concrete ones on the new "Experiential Engineering Building", just so we can say we fought for the students that DIDN'T HAVE A SINGLE THING TO DO WITH THIS MATTER against a terrible NCAA ruling. Is that too much to give up? Marble for concrete?
                                Okay, okay, I want the marble. I'm willing to give up a few visitor parking space concrete curbs though! Sacrifice the concrete curbs for painted lines and give token support our students that HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MATTER.

Comment

Working...
                                X