No announcement yet.

Apparel-Gate Final Resolution - Thursday Jan 29th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright in some messed up kind of way, this how I see this whole thing. We just fired Gene because he wasn't winning enough games. Then apparel-gate comes along and everyone freaks out cuse 74 of Gene's wins might get taken away.. Think about that for a moment.. I saw also in the Eagle this morning that Gene filed his own appeal. Could it be Bardo backed off because the athletic department has been rather disappointed with the baseball program for a long time now? Gene filed his own appeal, let him handle it. Lol.. The baseball program does not need any distractions while they attempt to get good again.

Comment

What a mess. There are times when I wish Gene was still the baseball coach at WSU. There are lots of times when I wonder if the handling of that situation was done as it should have been. This is one of those times.

Comment

First, the appeal was not dropped - it was never filed. Secondly, when the University/athletic department self-reported to the NCAA, administrators explicitly acknowledged the penalties the NCAA had the right to levy against the program, one of which was the vacating of wins. According to those with first hand experience, the hearings were conducted in an extremely professional manner - there was no ulterior motive/agenda, questioning was appropriate and all parties stuck to the facts. In the end, the NCAA levied a penalty that was well within the scope of its power and even somewhat lenient compared to what could have been rendered (e.g. scholarship reductions, postseason ban, permanent ban for Gene, etc.) From what I understand, it was outside counsel's opinion that since the entire process was handled without any improprieties on the part of the NCAA, and that the committee came down with a penalty that we acknowledged was within its rights to levy, it would reflect poorly on the University as whole (to the NCAA, to our peer universities) to go back to the committee and say "Remember how we said you could vacate wins? Well, we changed our minds".

Despite all of this, University officials still aren't pleased with the outcome, primarily because of the blemish this leaves on the student-athletes.

That is what I know.

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
          Despite all of this, University officials still aren't pleased with the outcome, primarily because of the blemish this leaves on the student-athletes.
          WSU was very adamant that they were going to appeal and then decided not to. I think we are splitting hairs to say they didn't drop the appeal but you are correct that the appeal was never filed with the NCAA, just filed in the public relations space known as the media.

Everything you said makes sense until you get to this last sentence. That last sentence is the very reason you appeal something, when you aren't pleased with the outcome. My opinion is the NCAA went very light on WSU and pretty heavy-handed on the student-athletes for a very minor offense that added no competitive advantage.

A great appeal would have included an additional investment by the university to train and educate student-athletes across the state of Kansas and moved this more from an on-field punishment to adding administrative controls that prevent this type of accidental infraction in the future. Just my opinion.

On another note: Great weather for opening day! I am sure the NCAA would fine God for providing a competitive weather advantage if they could figure out how to do it? :)
          Last edited by shockfan89_; February 20, 2015, 10:40 AM.

Comment

If they weren't pleased with the outcome they should have at least filed an appeal. This whole thing just doesn't make any sense. I know Gene has filed an appeal but since he wasn't found guilty of doing anything wrong, I don't see how he has any standing to file an appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYeti
              Could it be we accepted the proverbial "plea bargain" in return for a set of more heinous things not to be mentioned?
              Over $7500 of coupons?
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Nothing new. Hopefully this ends it.

Wichita State Releases Infractions Report
                Courtesy Wichita State
                Mon, March 30, 2015
                WICHITA, Kan. - Wichita State University received the final decision of the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions on Thursday, January 29, 2015, regarding an investigation that began in November 2013. WSU initiated its own investigation in November 2013 when Head Coach Todd Butler discovered that baseball student-athletes had potentially received extra benefits through an Under Armour VIP apparel account. The NCAA Enforcement staff joined the investigation in January 2014 and the University and staff worked cooperatively to conclude the investigation in late February 2014. WSU and the NCAA Enforcement staff investigated how and why 21 current and former student-athletes were allowed to purchase discounted shoes, clothing, hunting gear and other non-athletic items from a period beginning in February 2012 and lasting through November 2013.

The Committee on Infractions concluded that WSU did not monitor the activities of a former administrative assistant regarding her use of a VIP account provided to her by Under Armour. The former administrative assistant provided her log-in information to the involved baseball players so they could access her computer and the VIP account. The athletes did pay for the items themselves using their personal credit card or a parent’s credit card. The baseball student-athletes’ believed it was permissible to utilize the VIP account because of WSU’s agreement with Under Armour.

The NCAA Committee on Infractions concluded the institution committed two Level II violations and one Level III violation, as described below:

Level II - Impermissible Extra Benefits – from February 2012 through November 2013, the former administrative assistant provided impermissible extra benefits to 21 baseball student-athletes through the Under Armour VIP account when she allowed them to purchase items at a discounted price.

Level II - Failure to Monitor by the Institution – from February 2012 through November 2013, the institution failed to monitor the baseball program when it did not closely monitor the activities of the former administrative assistant, make timely changes to its apparel ordering system or adequately educate the former administrative assistant.

Level III – Recruiting Inducements – on November 20, 2013, the former administrative assistant provided recruiting inducements to a two-year college softball coach and two-year college prospective student-athletes when she allowed the coach to order 20 pullover shirts through the VIP apparel account. The two-year college softball coach paid $370.30 for the shirts, $277.50 less than their retail value of $647.80. He dispersed the shirts to the members of his team, who were prospective student-athletes. No members of this team enrolled at WSU.
                The penalties imposed by Wichita State University and the NCAA Committee on Infractions in this case include:

Public reprimand and censure;
                One year probation from January 29, 2015 through January 28, 2016;
                A fine of $5,000;
                A vacation of all regular season and Missouri Valley Conference tournament wins in which the 21 baseball student-athletes competed while ineligible. The total amount of wins vacated by WSU was 69.
                The penalties imposed by WSU and the Committee on Infractions did NOT include any competition penalties or any post-season ban for the program, nor any scholarship reductions or recruiting restrictions.
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                  Nothing new. Hopefully this ends it.
                  "The penalties imposed by WSU and the Committee on Infractions did NOT include any competition penalties or any post-season ban for the program, nor any scholarship reductions or recruiting restrictions."

Really? I remember guys sitting out a lot of games last year. Maybe I made that up. I can't stand the NCAA.

Comment

Seeing lots of feedback from (former) players on facebook.

Let's just say they aren't happy with the university or ADES.
                    Last edited by Shock Top; April 10, 2015, 05:45 PM.
                    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                      Seeing lots of feedback from players on facebook.

Let's just say they aren't happy with the university or ADES.
                      If they were involved in the matter they should feel fortunate the ordeal has passed and that they still play for Wichita State. I wonder if others may be helping to keep the fires stoked? I still have fear that some more skeletons may be found.

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                        If they were involved in the matter they should feel fortunate the ordeal has passed and that they still play for Wichita State. I wonder if others may be helping to keep the fires stoked? I still have fear that some more skeletons may be found.
                        It was players that played during the time, but are graduated.
                        The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                          It was players that played during the time, but are graduated.
                          This makes more sense, thank you for the clarification.

Comment

This makes more sense, thank you for the clarification.
                            No worries. I understand the confusion. The post has been edited.
                            The Assman

Comment

I still have fear that some more skeletons may be found.
                              like pictures, especially the picture that CU boosters were distributing?

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                                like pictures, especially the picture that CU boosters were distributing?
                                Skeletons with fake boobies?

Comment

Working...
                                X