Apparel-Gate Final Resolution - Thursday Jan 29th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparel-Gate Final Resolution - Thursday Jan 29th

HCTB and the Shocker baseball program will find out if they face any additional penalties or sanctions related to the apparel-gate impermissible benefits.

What an efficient, well-oiled machine the NCAA is!

Here's the NCAA ruling in all its, ahem, glory:

download the Wichita State infractions decision listen to the press conference Wichita State University did not monitor the activities of a former administrative

Comment

So Gene # of wins are now going backward....

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
        So Gene # of wins are now going backward....
        After reading through the analysis and penalties section, that is pretty much the only truly punitive damage, besides the $5000 fine. The probation is all administrative measures from what I can tell.

Comment

Can someone explain what 1 year of probation equates to?
          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
            365 days.

Comment

About the same UNC will get for their dereliction of duty.
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Here is the relevant portion relating to probation:

6. During this period of probation, the institution shall:

a. Continue to develop and implement a comprehensive educational program
                on NCAA legislation to instruct the coaches, the faculty athletics
                representative, all athletics department personnel and all institution staff
                members with responsibility for the certification of student-athletes'
                eligibility for admission, financial aid, practice or competition;

b. Submit a preliminary report to the Office of the Committees on Infractions
                by April 1, 2015, setting forth a schedule for establishing this compliance
                and educational program; and

c. File with the Office of the Committees on Infractions an annual
                compliance report indicating the progress made with this program by
                November 15, 2015. Particular emphasis should be placed on rules
                education for support staff and education regarding the purchase or
                provision of athletic apparel to student-athletes. The report must also
                include documentation of the institution's compliance with the penalties
                adopted and prescribed by the panel.

7. During the period of probation, the institution shall:

a. Inform prospective student-athletes in baseball that the institution is on
                probation for one year and detail the violations committed. If a
                prospective student-athlete takes an official paid visit, the information
                regarding violations, penalties and terms of probation must be provided in
                advance of the visit. Otherwise, the information must be provided before
                a prospective student-athlete signs a National Letter of Intent.

b. Publicize specific and understandable information concerning the nature
                of the infractions by providing, at a minimum, a statement to include the
                types of violations and the affected sport programs and a direct,
                conspicuous link to the public infractions report located on the athletic
                department's main webpage and in the media guides for the involved
                sports. The institution's statement must: (i) clearly describe the
                infractions; (ii) include the length of the probationary period associated
                with the major infractions case; and (iii) give members of the general
                public a clear indication of what happened in the major infractions case to
                allow the public (particularly prospective student-athletes and their
                families) to make informed, knowledgeable decisions. A statement that
                refers only to the probationary period with nothing more is not sufficient.Wichita State University Public Infractions Decision

8. Following the receipt of the final compliance report and prior to the conclusion of
                probation, the institution's president shall provide a letter to the committee
                affirming that the institution's current athletics policies and practices conform to
                all requirements of NCAA regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  365 days.

Comment

Nice little slap in the face to ol' Gene and further evidence he allowed the baseball program to swirl down the toilet as his empire crumbled around him. Honestly, was he doing anything constructive or just scamming the university for his exorbitant salary?

--'85.
                    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

So, this was more or less what we were expecting, si?

A token fine, vacating some wins, and a little extra administrative burden for a year. Total non event.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post

A token fine, vacating some wins, and a little extra administrative burden for a year. Total non event.
                        I guess I wasn't expecting them to vacate wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post

I guess I wasn't expecting them to vacate wins.
                          Yep, that's the part that chaps my a$$.
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Not sure I was expecting them to have to vacate wins but after reviewing the report I am not sure the committee really had any choice in the matter since apparently by rule the players were considered ineligible once they received the impermissible benefits.

The report, from what I could determine, did not specify how many wins would be vacated. I suppose that will be up to Wichita State to determine and to report back to the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              Not sure I was expecting them to have to vacate wins but after reviewing the report I am not sure the committee really had any choice in the matter since apparently by rule the players were considered ineligible once they received the impermissible benefits.

The report, from what I could determine, did not specify how many wins would be vacated. I suppose that will be up to Wichita State to determine and to report back to the NCAA.
                              Yeah this is my feeling exactly. Not that my shock at vacated wins means I disagree with the punishment, because by the rule those players are deemed ineligible, just that I had never really thought it completely through that wins might be vacated as a punishment. Just took me by surprise this AM when reading those wins are getting axed.

Comment

Working...
                              X