No announcement yet.

Apparel-Gate Final Resolution - Thursday Jan 29th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, we lose the 2013 NCAA appearance too? Does that mean that we can pretend that awful, embarrassing game against K-State didn't really happen?
    78-65

Comment

I will say that it seemed like everyone in the athletic administration had Gene's back when it came to his integrity and his commitment to running a clean program. The was probably the best thing in the report. I definitely did not get the feeling that Gene was being thrown under the bus. (Although I scanned the report and did not read very word.)

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        I will say that it seemed like everyone in the athletic administration had Gene's back when it came to his integrity and his commitment to running a clean program. The was probably the best thing in the report. I definitely did not get the feeling that Gene was being thrown under the bus. (Although I scanned the report and did not read very word.)
        I thought the panel was very complimentary of Gene's tenure in regards to compliance. According to the report, the school tried to place responsibility on Gene and the panel disagreed, saying the responsibility fell more directly on the compliance department.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          I thought the panel was very complimentary of Gene's tenure in regards to compliance. According to the report, the school tried to place responsibility on Gene and the panel disagreed, saying the responsibility fell more directly on the compliance department.
          Personally, I believe there is shared responsibility in this matter. Gene was not exactly known to wanting any interference from above when it came to operating what he considered "his" baseball program. And perhaps he earned that right.

However, I was referring the statements made by the AD's office members when asked about Gene's history of compliance and his attitude towards compliance. Those all seemed extremely complimentary.

I

Comment

365 days.
            I rarely really laugh out loud, but I just did....

Comment

WSU weighs in: http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/stories/story.asp?si=2731
              “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                Wichita State will appeal the vacating of the 70+ wins in 2012 and 2013. Good to hear.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 29, 2015, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                  Bardo is one smart 'son of a gun'...
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

If it stands, Gene will fall into third place on the all-time DI list behind Mike Martin.
                    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Not sure I was expecting them to have to vacate wins but after reviewing the report I am not sure the committee really had any choice in the matter since apparently by rule the players were considered ineligible once they received the impermissible benefits.

The report, from what I could determine, did not specify how many wins would be vacated. I suppose that will be up to Wichita State to determine and to report back to the NCAA.
                      Eligible or not, since the players didn't know they were violating a rule, and they gained no advantage that would affect their skills, vacating wins doesn't seem appropriate to me. In other words, they would have won or lost those games whether this happened or not -- so vacating wins seems obsessive. Now if this was a steroid problem then vacating wins makes a lot more sense, since they would have gained a playing advantage. And practicing more than allowed, would also be an example where vacating wins makes more sense to me. But self-reporting a minor infraction of receiving a very low monetary benefit (a discount on sports gear -- not even freebees) doesn't seem like it warrants a vacation of wins to me.

A probation and fines makes a ton of sense to me though.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

The NCAA is so mad at UNC for its phony classes issue it decided to vacate 70+ wins. Against Wichita State baseball, because UNC obviously stands for UNder armour Cheaters.
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Rank the following in order of disdain:

IRS
                          Prius Drivers
                          Congress
                          NCAA
                          CreightonFan

Damn... toughie.

Even worse if you try to rank them by order of hypocrisy.

Comment

Unless the NCAA vacates the last 20 years of UNC basketball wins, there is no basis for this decision and even then the lack of competitive advantage difference between the two situations means that if only one of the two programs should vacate wins, it ought to be UNC.
                            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Eligible or not, since the players didn't know they were violating a rule, and they gained no advantage that would affect their skills, vacating wins doesn't seem appropriate to me. In other words, they would have won or lost those games whether this happened or not -- so vacating wins seems obsessive. Now if this was a steroid problem then vacating wins makes a lot more sense, since they would have gained a playing advantage. And practicing more than allowed, would also be an example where vacating wins makes more sense to me. But self-reporting a minor infraction of receiving a very low monetary benefit (a discount on sports gear -- not even freebees) doesn't seem like it warrants a vacation of wins to me.

A probation and fines makes a ton of sense to me though.
                              I think the Shocks have a good shot of getting the wins restored. Just looking at the report I don't think the NCAA panel pointed out any aggravating factors but they noted numerous mitigating factors. Penn State got their wins restored. It will be interesting to see what the NCAA does with the Shocks appeal.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 29, 2015, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Who handles the appeals process?

Comment

Working...
                                X