NCAA Selection Show- 11 AM CST Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
    One good weekend in Normal has the natives thinking this is 1989 again. We will know soon enough. I suspect two and BBQ but what do I know?
    Do you really want that last sentence to get answered? Shall we revisit your stellar past?
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
      It is excitement not cockiness. And it is a reminder of what was WSU baseball. 28 appearances in the NCAA tournament with 74 wins, seven CWS, four national title games.

WSU has an 0-2 record in four NCAA tournaments: 1980, 1994, 1997 and 2009.
      Well, I'm excited, too, ABC, and I feel very good about their chances, beginning with the game Friday. I'm certainly much less apprehensive than I was in 2009.

But too much smack talk does strike me as a little cocky, and the otherwise annoying guy who pointed out that the actual K-State roster has a clear edge in NCAA experience vs. WSU's roster is exactly right. The comparative level of institutional memory and experience isn't close, obviously, and I'm not concerned that the Shocks will be overwhelmed by the NCAA stage. But it's still about the guys out on the field, and K-State's current group has plenty of players who have been there and done that.

Comment

Originally posted by shockkansas View Post
        FYI, KSU is 2-0 against WSU this year. WSU is 0-5 against the Big 12 this year.
        And the only game of those 5 that wasn't close was OSU's 7-2 win and even in that game the Shocks lead 1-0 after 6 innings.

Always a little dangerous to project how a team will do based on mid-week games and, in fact, at the time WSU played those games it was still searching for some consistent starting pitching. That seems pretty well resolved.

The thing with post-season play is it really doesn't matter how you played during the regular season. What matters is how you are playing now. I think it is safe to say the Shockers are now playing the best baseball in all phases of the game that they have alll season.

We have several pitchers who have come on strong lately in Garrett Brummett, A.J. Ladwig and Kris Gardner to go along with Cale Elam in the starting rotation. Our bullpen has been pretty solid for most of the year.

The Shocks have won 8 of their last 9 games. During those nine games they averaged 6.56 runs with a team BA of 0.352 and a team ERA of 2.28 and committed no (as in zero) errors. Coming into that final 9-game stretch the Shocks had averaged 5.45 RPG with a team BA of 0.285 and a team ERA of 3.48.

Johnny Coy who had done nothing during the year is all of a sudden squaring up balls on a consistent basis and providing protection for Casey Gillaspie. Garrett Bayliff's confidence coming off a couple of injury plagued seasons is coming on and he is on fire and after struggling for a consistent leadoff hitter most of the year Tanner Dearman seems to have figured that out. Mikel Mucha is also playing the best ball of his young career.

Does this mean we will win this regional? Of course not. But we have a better chance of doing so now than we would have had at any other point this seaseon. Yeah, we could go 2 and Que but so could any one of the other 3 teams in this regional. There is nothing better or more dangerous than a team that has found its confidence.

The thing is this has just been a special year for Shocker athletics. Did KU and Arkansas expect the Lady Shocks to go to Lawrence and a send them home packing from the NCAA Volleyball tournament? NO! Did KU and KSU expect to be sitting at home watching the Shocks battle and earn their way to the Final Four (and let's face it we probably should have beat Louisville)? NO! Does anyone other than the Shocks and their fans think they will make much noise in the Baseball regional? NO!

But then again, This is the Year of the Shocks! So why not?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          And the only game of those 5 that wasn't close was OSU's 7-2 win and even in that game the Shocks lead 1-0 after 6 innings.

Always a little dangerous to project how a team will do based on mid-week games and, in fact, at the time WSU played those games it was still searching for some consistent starting pitching. That seems pretty well resolved.

The thing with post-season play is it really doesn't matter how you played during the regular season. What matters is how you are playing now. I think it is safe to say the Shockers are now playing the best baseball in all phases of the game that they have alll season.

We have several pitchers who have come on strong lately in Garrett Brummett, A.J. Ladwig and Kris Gardner to go along with Cale Elam in the starting rotation. Our bullpen has been pretty solid for most of the year.

The Shocks have won 8 of their last 9 games. During those nine games they averaged 6.56 runs with a team BA of 0.352 and a team ERA of 2.28 and committed no (as in zero) errors. Coming into that final 9-game stretch the Shocks had averaged 5.45 RPG with a team BA of 0.285 and a team ERA of 3.48.

Johnny Coy who had done nothing during the year is all of a sudden squaring up balls on a consistent basis and providing protection for Casey Gillaspie. Garrett Bayliff's confidence coming off a couple of injury plagued seasons is coming on and he is on fire and after struggling for a consistent leadoff hitter most of the year Tanner Dearman seems to have figured that out. Mikel Mucha is also playing the best ball of his young career.

Does this mean we will win this regional? Of course not. But we have a better chance of doing so now than we would have had at any other point this seaseon. Yeah, we could go 2 and Que but so could any one of the other 3 teams in this regional. There is nothing better or more dangerous than a team that has found its confidence.

The thing is this has just been a special year for Shocker athletics. Did KU and Arkansas expect the Lady Shocks to go to Lawrence and a send them home packing from the NCAA Volleyball tournament? NO! Did KU and KSU expect to be sitting at home watching the Shocks battle and earn their way to the Final Four (and let's face it we probably should have beat Louisville)? NO! Does anyone other than the Shocks and their fans think they will make much noise in the Baseball regional? NO!

But then again, This is the Year of the Shocks! So why not?
          I don't disagree. If anything our basketball season proved there to be a huge difference between regular and post season play. We actually lost to Evansville, at home, on senior night! Obviously, that kind of humiliation was not indicative of our run in the tournament.

But I would have to argue that results of this season are more relevant than ancient history. My post was in response to ABC giving a history lesson, when "current events" would be more pertinent.

Comment

Here's what this guy (shockkansas) had to add to the discussion over on kansas.com, a very intelligent argument:

Can someone explain to me again why this obvious troll is given such a long leash and hasn't been banned? Is it because his elementary insults are so subtle and don't make much sense? Is it because he's an easy target? Is it because he's a two-facer? Why? Can someone please answer the million dollar question?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

FYI, KSU is 2-0 against WSU this year. WSU is 0-5 against the Big 12 this year.
              And KSU is 3-6 in the NCAA tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                Here's what this guy (shockkansas) had to add to the discussion over on kansas.com, a very intelligent argument:

Can someone explain to me again why this obvious troll is given such a long leash and hasn't been banned? Is it because his elementary insults are so subtle and don't make much sense? Is it because he's an easy target? Is it because he's a two-facer? Why? Can someone please answer the million dollar question?
                Thanks ShockFever for the info. I can't access Kansas.com since it became a pay site. I prefer Cjonline.com anyway. But why are you acting like such a defensive little girlfriend? Focus on the game!

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                  And KSU is 3-6 in the NCAA tournament.
                  And they are 0-0 in the 2013 tournament. As a very interesting bit of trivia, that is also the Shockers record in the 2013 tournament.

Comment

Thanks ShockFever for the info. I can't access Kansas.com since it became a pay site. I prefer Cjonline.com anyway. But why are you acting like such a defensive little girlfriend? Focus on the game!
                    Just stop.

You'll never be the man that your mother is.

Comment

ABC is probably the best, most level-headed poster on Shockernet. Hence, I will ignore Shfever's taunts, and just stop.

Comment

Don't be a p****. I know who you are. The fact that you can't even own up to your words now that you got caught with your pants down really proves how worthless of a troll you are.

I'm the defensive little girlfriend, but your the Kitten State tool who is now constantly on a WSU board, whining about every slight that Kitten State is received here.

Go away, you insecure, trolling POS.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

ABC is probably the best, most level-headed poster on Shockernet. Hence, I will ignore Shfever's taunts, and just stop.
                          If ABC told you to cut off your hands, would you do it? (Please say yes)
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            It looks like you posted the exact same thing in two different threads. You must really have a fetish for @shockkansas:. I, myself, would just like to read about the upcoming game instead of what someone might have written on kansas.com.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                              It looks like you posted the exact same thing in two different threads. You must really have a fetish for @shockkansas. I, myself, would just like to read about the upcoming game instead of what someone might have written on kansas.com.
                              Funny. You posted a similar thing in the basketball forum too. You must really have a fetish for me.

If you don't want to see my posts, then you can a.) ignore me or b.) help your buddy shockkansas and his KSU trolls to the KSU fan board. They seemed to have lost their merry way.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Bryant's head coach was the head coach of LeMoyne in 2004 when they played in the Fayetteville regional with Missouri and Wichita State.

Comment

Working...
                                X