• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CharlieHog View Post
    Wow, their official capacity is 2300.
    CHARLIE!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      CHARLIE!!!!!

Glad to be back in a regional with the Shocks. Like the good old days. :)

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
          Welcome back. Ya gonna make the drive up to Manhattan?

No. I wish I could because this one seems really fun. But I now have a 10 month old and that's not very conducive to road tripping. lol

Comment

This thread just elevated to cool status. Welcome back Charlie.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Indeed it is.

Comment

Don't you have to submit a bid prior to the selection to be considered for a Super Regional? I know it used to be like that (we always bid, just in case).
                I believe it is simply the highest seed, as long as they are able to host the Super.

Comment

It's really too much to ask for to beat KU at home in Volleyball when they host for the first time, make the Final 4, then beat KState in Manhattan when they host for the first time in baseball.

Or is it?
                  The Year of the Shocks! Go there at your own risk.

Comment

Kstate plays with confidence and with good reason. They hit the ball and they field the ball. They don't have that "ace" starter however. Now I'll agree it's not the typical 1-4 matchup (if it comes to fruition) but still KState would have to be the heavy, heavy favorite.
                    Disagree, Doc. KSU can hit and they can catch, biut if i'm a Kitten fan I'm not finding all that much comfort in the two games against WSU this year. Sure, they won, and that's the bottom line -- but for predictive value it's hard to see much there. The Manhattan game, K-State's 7-6 comeback miracle, was one of those baseball flukes to be enjoyed, celebrated, and then forgotten. You could go back to the middle of the 8th inning, replay that ending 20 times, and it would be an upset if WSU didn't win all 20. So that one doesn't tell us much, and the game in Wichita -- won by KSU 4-1 after getting a quick three in the first to KO Kris Gardner, who (a) probably won't pitch Friday, and (b) now seems back to being the really good Gardner of last year instead of the scuffler he's mostly been this year -- was a no-offense struggle against the rest of the Shocker staff.

WSU is playing better than they were by far, KSU about the same. As someone said on another thread, this regional looks about as good for WSU as it possibly could. In my view, the scary team in the Little Apple is Arkansas, not K-State, and even they aren't too frightening -- unlike the Kittens, they DON'T hit or field.

Comment

Charlie, what the heck is up with your team's defense? I looked at the stats and saw that over 30% of your opponents' runs are unearned, which is a startling proportion. (By comparison, WSU's opponents have scored 16% unearned runs.) In eight more games, WSU has given up 100 runs more than Arkansas has, yet the Hogs have given up MORE unearned.

I can't remember seeing anything like it. One of your regulars is fielding under (!) .900, and another barely over. What gives -- are they really that bad defensively, or is there some statistical fluke that isn't readily apparent?

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                        Charlie, what the heck is up with your team's defense? I looked at the stats and saw that over 30% of your opponents' runs are unearned, which is a startling proportion. (By comparison, WSU's opponents have scored 16% unearned runs.) In eight more games, WSU has given up 100 runs more than Arkansas has, yet the Hogs have given up MORE unearned.

I can't remember seeing anything like it. One of your regulars is fielding under (!) .900, and another barely over. What gives -- are they really that bad defensively, or is there some statistical fluke that isn't readily apparent?
                        We made most of those errors at the beginning of the season when we were trying out lineups after losing 3/4 of our infield from last year. We had 60 going into the LSU series, but only around 18 since then. Youre probably talking about brian anderson, who played a lot at SS but is now at LF which he is MUCH better at...and McAfee is a lot better than anderson at short. Ficociello is one of the best defenders at 1B in the country but we had him playing 2nd a lot too and he made some of them. We still arent great at fielding but better than we were...and our outfield IMO is one of the best in the SEC defensively. We have the #1 ERA in the country if only we could hit!

Comment

Our infield is just not very good defensively (I agree with previous Hog fan that out outfield defense is great). If everyone is healthy we can put a team out there that is OKAY defensively.

We are also not a good hitting team (obviously). The good news is that our pitching is usually good enough that we do not have to score very many.

I will be very curious to see how aggressive DVH is willing to be on the artificial turf. I expect us to bunt a lot.

Comment

Our infield is just not very good defensively (I agree with previous Hog fan that out outfield defense is great). If everyone is healthy we can put a team out there that is OKAY defensively.

We are also not a good hitting team (obviously). The good news is that our pitching is usually good enough that we do not have to score very many.

I will be very curious to see how aggressive DVH is willing to be on the artificial turf. I expect us to bunt a lot.
                            Thanks, Charlie and gohogs. Do teams bunt a lot against Arkansas? If you can really pitch but don't field very well except in the outfield, I'd expect teams to try to test your infield defense quite a bit.

Comment

FYI, WSU's NCAA record is 75-55.

Kansas State's NCAA record is 3-6

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                                FYI, WSU's NCAA record is 75-55.

Kansas State's NCAA record is 3-6
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X