NCAA Selection Show- 11 AM CST Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
    Thanks, Charlie and gohogs. Do teams bunt a lot against Arkansas? If you can really pitch but don't field very well except in the outfield, I'd expect teams to try to test your infield defense quite a bit.

Interesting question. It really doesn't seem like teams bunt on us that much. I checked the stats and we've given up 44 sac bunts, which seems average.

Of course, our defense seems to make most of the regular plays easily. We don't lack for arms or range or anything like that. It's those tricky situations that bite us. There was a play in the SEC Tournament where there was a runner on first and a ball hit to short, and our SS threw it backwards across his body to second instead of just setting himself and getting the out at first. We seem to make a lot of mental mistakes in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog View Post
      Our infield is just not very good defensively (I agree with previous Hog fan that out outfield defense is great). If everyone is healthy we can put a team out there that is OKAY defensively.

We are also not a good hitting team (obviously). The good news is that our pitching is usually good enough that we do not have to score very many.

I will be very curious to see how aggressive DVH is willing to be on the artificial turf. I expect us to bunt a lot.
      Glad you are back, Charlie. If a poll was taken, you would probably win the "most popular guest ever" category.

We sat near each other at a regional, but I do not recall the location. I think it was in Wichita. You attended with your boyfriend.

I am the only one on this fine forum, who knows about your secret "sports" interest.
      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
        FYI, WSU's NCAA record is 75-55.

Kansas State's NCAA record is 3-6
        FYI, KSU is 2-0 against WSU this year. WSU is 0-5 against the Big 12 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
          I am the only one on this fine forum, who knows about your secret "sports" interest.

Haha! I haven't watched that "sport" in 6 or 7 years.

Comment

Originally posted by shockkansas View Post
            FYI, KSU is 2-0 against WSU this year. WSU is 0-5 against the Big 12 this year.
            One good weekend in Normal has the natives thinking this is 1989 again. We will know soon enough. I suspect two and BBQ but what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
              what do I know?
              I think we both know the answer to this.

Comment

I've been one of Lusking's biggest backers--he's kind of like a goofy good luck charm. But randomly adopting a second team to troll about is taking things to a new level.
                Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                  We should take heed though. He nailed our basketball season. We took sixth right?

Comment

One good weekend in Normal has the natives thinking this is 1989 again. We will know soon enough. I suspect two and BBQ but what do I know?
                    When one is a Shocker fan and sees Shocker baseball being played, one has a right to get excited. Shocker baseball has historically been a very successful type of baseball. Shocker baseball was played last week, for the first time in a couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                      I've been one of Lusking's biggest backers--he's kind of like a goofy good luck charm. But randomly adopting a second team to troll about is taking things to a new level.
                      Not really trying to troll. I just am looking for something to keep me excited in terms of the postseason. I am pretty familiar with three squads in this regional so that adds to the excitement and my interest. But in rereading my comments I can see how somebody could have the opinion that you do. I will take it under advisement and might avoid this site for awhile.

Comment

There isn't one fan here that even dares to breath a single similarity to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM. All I've seen is a consensus that the draw and location is about as good as anyone could have hoped for, especially considering the team's poor play most of the season.

I honestly don't know the answer, but if WSU has gone 2nQ in more than 3 of the 27 regionals over the years I'd be very much surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                          Top post of the day, most likely. Well said, Go.

I have to agree that we have some folks getting pretty cocky since the Manhattan assignment occurred. But the Shocks who played in Normal were a different team than we've seen for most of the season. Johnny Coy returned as a generally useful and productive bat in the heart of the order, something we haven't seen for quite a while; the defense, always capable of being very good, was flawless and able to avoid the lapses of concentration that have been a problem at times, continuing a streak of nine errorless games in the process; and the pitching rotation, with Gardner back on his game and Brummett continuing to progress, is the strongest it's been all year. There's good reason to be hopeful, and to go out in two games would be not just a disappointment but a surprise. Plus, K-State is by no means a dominant team, and the Shocks have every reason to think they can take them.

Comment

Not really trying to troll. I just am looking for something to keep me excited in terms of the postseason. I am pretty familiar with three squads in this regional so that adds to the excitement and my interest. But in rereading my comments I can see how somebody could have the opinion that you do. I will take it under advisement and might avoid this site for awhile.
                            For crying out loud just get on the Shocker bandwagon and get it over with already. You know you WANT to. You know you are GOING to. So you might as well get on with it so you can maximize your "winning" pleasure.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

It is excitement not cockiness. And it is a reminder of what was WSU baseball. 28 appearances in the NCAA tournament with 74 wins, seven CWS, four national title games.

WSU has an 0-2 record in four NCAA tournaments: 1980, 1994, 1997 and 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                                There isn't one fan here that even dares to breath a single similarity to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM. All I've seen is a consensus that the draw and location is about as good as anyone could have hoped for, especially considering the team's poor play most of the season.

I honestly don't know the answer, but if WSU has gone 2nQ in more than 3 of the 27 regionals over the years I'd be very much surprised.
                                You would not be surprised. WSU has gone 2nQ in exactly 3 of the 27 regionals.

Opps, I missed 1980. 4 of the 27.

Comment

Working...
                                X