2024 Wichita State Baseball Transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post

I don't disagree but if you were 19 and an SEC school offered you 6 figures a year to come pitch for them would you say no?
    I read and hear a lot of these inflated NIL offers. Do we really know what he is being offered or is it all speculation?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
      I am done with the athletes that transfer for a paycheck. Good riddance and dont let the door hit you in the a** on the way out. That goes for any sport. If you dont want to be part of a culture then we dont want you and I am sorry we wasted a year trying to support you.

Young people will someday learn the lesson that there are more important things in life than money.
      Do you really know the culture? Or are you just speculating the culture based on radio shows & media articles? Nobody knows the culture & relationships these coaches have behind closed doors except the athletes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockersdad View Post

Always love these comments. Just about every coach uses mid majors for a higher paying job if they can. Half the kids in the portal were told they aren't welcome back by the coach and aren't looking for NIL. D1 sports are cut throat because people are paid to win. Now players have some power as well. College athletics is a 14 BILLION dollar industry
        Not sure how you can compare mid major coaching jobs with "college" athletes.

The first most liking already has a college degree (which was earned by one's dedication to studies), worked at lesser paying college athletic jobs, and are "climbing the ladder" to those high paying jobs. If it does not work out, they still have the education and skills (as well as "life" skills) to make a good living.

The second (with exception to those who take studies seriously) was most likely the star athlete of their high school and will now be PAID to go to college. Too many will simply be passed on through doing the bare minimum they have to do to stay qualified. Some will be able to make a living "after basketball".
        Some will not. That's the question. How many "players", not real students won't have adequate life skills.

This has always been true to a point, but it is worse now. Just exactly what "power" do players have now that they didn't have before? Money? Yes. Power? No. Hopefully, many won't just blow through their money and then wonder why they are broke or worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Not sure how you can compare mid major coaching jobs with "college" athletes.

The first most liking already has a college degree (which was earned by one's dedication to studies), worked at lesser paying college athletic jobs, and are "climbing the ladder" to those high paying jobs. If it does not work out, they still have the education and skills (as well as "life" skills) to make a good living.

The second (with exception to those who take studies seriously) was most likely the star athlete of their high school and will now be PAID to go to college. Too many will simply be passed on through doing the bare minimum they have to do to stay qualified. Some will be able to make a living "after basketball".
          Some will not. That's the question. How many "players", not real students won't have adequate life skills.

This has always been true to a point, but it is worse now. Just exactly what "power" do players have now that they didn't have before? Money? Yes. Power? No. Hopefully, many won't just blow through their money and then wonder why they are broke or worse.
          I will add there are also contractual obligations that come with coaches jumping ship such as buyouts or even non competes within their own conference. With college athletes there are none….which means there are no consequences for tampering, collusion or breach. The NCAA is about as toothless as the attendees at River Festival

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I will add there are also contractual obligations that come with coaches jumping ship such as buyouts or even non competes within their own conference. With college athletes there are none….which means there are no consequences for tampering, collusion or breach. The NCAA is about as toothless as the attendees at River Festival
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Tommy would get rocked pitching at UT and with some of those SEC batters. Good luck

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockersdad View Post

Always love these comments. Just about every coach uses mid majors for a higher paying job if they can. Half the kids in the portal were told they aren't welcome back by the coach and aren't looking for NIL. D1 sports are cut throat because people are paid to win. Now players have some power as well. College athletics is a 14 BILLION dollar industry
                We will see how big an industry it is when competition is dead as it is quickly becoming.

Comment

• I'm leaning more and more to the cutthroat plan.

Find the kids that fit your culture and that you can develop and, best as you can tell, want to be here and recruit them from HS and Juco.

Do your damnedest to get 1 or 2 uber talented but still available (mostly pitchers) HS players (under-developed or just not seen as much as others) then run them out from day 1 and let them sink or swim. If they're good, use every last bit of what they have. If you can keep them, great, but since you know they're gone, who cares?

Fill in with portal discards that have been recruited over and still have value, and hopefully an attitude to stick it up the ass of the guys they used to play with and for.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    I'm leaning more and more to the cutthroat plan.

Find the kids that fit your culture and that you can develop and, best as you can tell, want to be here and recruit them from HS and Juco.

Do your damnedest to get 1 or 2 uber talented but still available (mostly pitchers) HS players (under-developed or just not seen as much as others) then run them out from day 1 and let them sink or swim. If they're good, use every last bit of what they have. If you can keep them, great, but since you know they're gone, who cares?

Fill in with portal discards that have been recruited over and still have value, and hopefully an attitude to stick it up the ass of the guys they used to play with and for.
                    Yeah, get me a few with a Rick Vaughn attitude!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I would add one more thing to your superb plan: find an international contact you cqn trust in Latin America and target one or two very good players a year. Those guys are way less likely to hit the portal. Indiana State has done this as well as other non P3 conference programs with success.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
                        Tommy would get rocked pitching at UT and with some of those SEC batters. Good luck
                        I disagree. He has the ability to play anywhere. Remember he was 18 competing against guys 22-24 years old.
                        Last edited by shoxlax; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I disagree. He has the ability to play anywhere. Remember he was 18 competing against guys 22-24 years old.
                          I'm with you on this one. Not only is Tommy talented enough I thought he showed a lot of coachability in his one year at Wichita State. He was a great teammate and a very key component of the Shocks this year and while I am disappointed he apparently has chosen to move on I can't pretend he is all a sudden something else. I would love him to think about how much he progressed this year and how much success Caden Favors had as a senior after 3 somewhat undistinguished years previously. Perhaps the Shocks can put toghether an attractive enough deal to where he might decide to withdraw from the portal. I am not counting on that but I would welcome him back in a heartbeat.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I'm with you on this one. Not only is Tommy talented enough I thought he showed a lot of coachability in his one year at Wichita State. He was a great teammate and a very key component of the Shocks this year and while I am disappointed he apparently has chosen to move on I can't pretend he is all a sudden something else. I would love him to think about how much he progressed this year and how much success Caden Favors had as a senior after 3 somewhat undistinguished years previously. Perhaps the Shocks can put toghether an attractive enough deal to where he might decide to withdraw from the portal. I am not counting on that but I would welcome him back in a heartbeat.
                            "Attractive enough deal" is a very tricky and perhaps dangerous slope. Baseball has a lot of players and a wide difference in the duties of players. All positions/duties probably believe they're as important as a different position. Starting pitchers, relief pitchers, catcher, slick fielding positions players, strong arm outfielders with speed and range and having as many of those position players that can hit (power and/or average) as possible. You need to keep as many of those players as possible feeling they're just as valuable to the team. If someone wants too much that could make for a problem in the locker room, it might be better to let them go.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

"Attractive enough deal" is a very tricky and perhaps dangerous slope. Baseball has a lot of players and a wide difference in the duties of players. All positions/duties probably believe they're as important as a different position. Starting pitchers, relief pitchers, catcher, slick fielding positions players, strong arm outfielders with speed and range and having as many of those position players that can hit (power and/or average) as possible. You need to keep as many of those players as possible feeling they're just as valuable to the team. If someone wants too much that could make for a problem in the locker room, it might be better to let them go.
                              Agreed. I didn't mean to imply whatever it takes. Just whatever we migtht be able to do within reason that might be good enough combined with how he develped this year and perhaps other factors and, as you point out, looking at how it impacts the big picture. I have always thought that coaching college baseball was always the toughest task in terms of roster management and it is certainly not getting any easier unless you have the endless pot of gold at the end of the rainbow at your disposal.

Comment

The whole AD could use a lot more sticking it up the ass. It's what made the great programs great. In the likely event wsu wasn't the school you had dreamed of, you came here and spent years sticking it up the ass of anyone that hadn't looked your way.

Now wsu is just a juco.

I am gaining some unwarranted excitement with the number of guys that have chosen not to test the waters this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X