No announcement yet.

2024 Wichita State Baseball Transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright back to the topic at hand ... can someone relist the known transfer outs at this time?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      By my count, that's 5 so far.

Pantier
      Fettinger
      Birge
      Oswald
      Geraghty

Zayas is listed at D1 but Pantier and Fettinger are not. I didn't realize Zayas still had eligibility remaining.

Best I can tell, this is still the list.

For a little comparison, in our conference so far:

ECU, Memphis, Charlotte don't show anyone in the portal.

FAU 1

UTSA 3

Tulane 5

UAB 3

USF 9

Rice 2

Every team and player is different. Even ECU lost Alex Makarawicz to NC State last season. ECU has quite a few seniors and draft likely juniors so I wouldn't expect many defections.

At first glance, I didn't see a lot to get worked up over when it comes to transfers (and there will be more, it's early, and ECU & Tulane are still playing), however, USF is looking at a total reboot.

In addition to the seniors (around 10) all 9 portal entries, so far, were contributors this season, and many were starters and top players.

Comment

FAU 1

UTSA 3

Tulane 5

UAB 3

USF 9

Rice 2

Every team and player is different. Even ECU lost Alex Makarawicz to NC State last season. ECU has quite a few seniors and draft likely juniors so I wouldn't expect many defections.

At first glance, I didn't see a lot to get worked up over when it comes to transfers (and there will be more, it's early, and ECU & Tulane are still playing), however, USF is looking at a total reboot.

In addition to the seniors (around 10) all 9 portal entries, so far, were contributors this season, and many were starters and top players.
        USF is expected since they fired their coach and don't think they have hired a new one yet

Comment

FAU 1

UTSA 3

Tulane 5

UAB 3

USF 9

Rice 2

I will start throwing that list in the OP's first post.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I have a question. According to the NCAA the Transfer Windows for Baseball begins June 3, 2024 to July 2, 2024 with another 15 day window in December (last year this window ran from December 1st through December 15th).

NCAA Division I Transfer Windows

So how is it that some players are already reported as being in the portal? Are these simply players who have announced they will be entering the portal? Or perhaps players that have already applied for entry to the portal pending the official opening of the portal for baseball? Or their exceptions or special circumstances that allow plays to enter the portal outside the window?

In any case, with the "official" opening of the baseball portal tomorrow I would think the numbers of players entering the portal will start to flood in.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              I have a question. According to the NCAA the Transfer Windows for Baseball begins June 3, 2024 to July 2, 2024 with another 15 day window in December (last year this window ran from December 1st through December 15th).

NCAA Division I Transfer Windows

So how is it that some players are already reported as being in the portal? Are these simply players who have announced they will be entering the portal? Or perhaps players that have already applied for entry to the portal pending the official opening of the portal for baseball? Or their exceptions or special circumstances that allow plays to enter the portal outside the window?
              Those are good dates and are consistent with what the NCAA published. NCAA is not transparent with publishing the data.

Spring sports: 30 days in the spring, beginning seven days after a sport's championship selection, and 15 days in the fall (Dec. 1-15).
              The Division I Council on Wednesday approved changes to notification-of-transfer windows across all sports, including a reduction from 60 to 45 total days in both FCS and FBS football, and 45 consecutive days for men's and women's basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

You are trying to impose humility by claiming to have the authority of a king? That reminds me of one of my favorite Weird Al lines: "I'm a thousand times more humble than thou art."

I have always got a great laugh out of your Nostradamus posts, and I like your other stuff too.

But believe me, Proverbs 25:7 definitely speaks to a guy like WuDrWu who has indeed been invited to join the kings (coaches) and his men (players) over the years. He doesn't post to elevate himself, he posts to share what he can using his excellent descretion to not make public more than he should.

Discretion??? That’s laughable. Doesn’t post to elevate himself??? With nearly 30k posts, that’s exactly what he does. He might as well stand in Kosich Korner with a WuducWu flag.

The duc still hasn’t answered questions from posts #71 or #75 of this topic!! Typical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post

Discretion??? That’s laughable. Doesn’t post to elevate himself??? With nearly 30k posts, that’s exactly what he does. He might as well stand in Kosich Korner with a WuducWu flag.

The duc still hasn’t answered questions from posts #71 or #75 of this topic!! Typical.
                  Veritas, I don't know you, but I DO know the good Doctor and your attack on him is 1000% unjustified and inaccurate. He knows a lot because he pays attention, he has gotten to know people and he is trustworthy.

Comment

I'll give you an example that I haven't shared publicly until now. I visited with HCTB very late in his tenure at WSU, just weeks before he was let go. He told me directly that he had taken WSU as far as it was possible to take WSU. No one could do better. This was as good as it was ever going to get for WSU baseball. I was seething. I'm not sure I've ever shown that amount of restraint in my life. He was dead wrong. For crying out loud, we were 9-15 in conference and had to win the last game of the season to make the damned conference tournament. BUT, it's a great example of the charcoal world in which we exist. To SOME extent, his theory DID have merit. We were playing in a new conference where (outside of UCONN) we were the northern most team. We were 2 years removed from a conference where we were the southern most team. Those things MATTER in college baseball. The support for WSU baseball had dwindled, substantially. More programs, in our sphere of influence geographically, have been taking baseball seriously for some time now. Just (at that time) 10-15 seasons prior, WSU had the premier facilities in the 4-6 state area. We might be 3rd in just our own state now. That MATTERS. HCTB had NO support from the fan base or the athletic program in general. None. The AD gave him the keys and expected Gene results. It goes without saying, he was NOT Gene. He bankrupted the baseball funds to keep the program looking good. But he put forth precisely zero effort to replenish those funds. And the AD just let it happen. The mistakes and lack of leadership, on many levels, was borderline criminal. We'll pay for it long into the future, BUT it doesn't change the fact that we are trying to compete on a playing field that is tilted against us bigly now.

2 things can be true at the same time.
                    I'm surprised more folks haven't comment on this. So disappointing for Butler to have this attitude, and I think that should have been teased out during the interview. Clearly, in hindsight, he was a bad hire.

I'm also surprised folks haven't just told Veritas to STFU already.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

I'm surprised more folks haven't comment on this. So disappointing for Butler to have this attitude, and I think that should have been teased out during the interview. Clearly, in hindsight, he was a bad hire.

I'm also surprised folks haven't just told Veritas to STFU already.
                      I know a few people in college sports in Oklahoma, including a few that know TB.

And… I’ll just say from what I’ve heard about what he had to say about WSU, I’m not shocked that was his attitude.

Not saying he’s a bad dude, but this fits what I was told his impression of Wichita was. Although I didn’t really get that feeling while he was here.

Yeah terrible hire. On a lot of levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

Probably because he's long gone. And how do you think he would have answered this interview question? "Todd, what's the ceiling for Shocker baseball?"

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Probably because he's long gone. And how do you think he would have answered this interview question? "Todd, what's the ceiling for Shocker baseball?"
                          Yes, and if it wasn't asked, it should have been.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

I know a few people in college sports in Oklahoma, including a few that know TB.

And… I’ll just say from what I’ve heard about what he had to say about WSU, I’m not shocked that was his attitude.

Not saying he’s a bad dude, but this fits what I was told his impression of Wichita was. Although I didn’t really get that feeling while he was here.

Yeah terrible hire. On a lot of levels.
                            Well said. And this further defines some of the struggles I had with him. He absolutely IS a good dude. You'd love to have him and his family as neighbors or members of the community. Salt of the Earth people. But, as so many in sports are, he only saw what he wanted to see. He had seen the way the "rich" did things and assumed it was just a matter of doing it. Spend the money, just like SEC U. It's there, spend it! But he does nothing to come up with the money. Isn't it just there? I'm here to coach, not raise money.

It's more than unusual to find coaches that are good at things other than coaching. HCTB was good at parts of coaching and very little of the peripheral activities. And boy, did he have disdain for programs that weren't his power group friends (Bama mostly....but really any SEC team). He saw WSU and most everything associated with it as 2nd class citizens. Not out of spite, but out of experience and stupidity....and he wasn't about to do anything about it because it wasn't his job.

It was so maddening...not just because he refused to do it, but because he could have been really good at it. He wasn't skill-less. And even more frustrating was that his assistants were putting in the work...trying to get out there and network, best as they knew how (which, they were all young and inexperienced, and had zero guidance, but at least they were trying). How this wasn't uncovered during the vetting process I'll never know or understand.

This kind of circles back to one of the many things Veritas doesn't like or understand about me and what I choose to talk about. So much of coaching and sports in general is about loyalty....often times blind loyalty at the expense of everything else. Loyalty is VERY important. But it can't be full speed ahead with blinders loyalty. Loyalty can't keep you from asking questions. And the truly greats are able to mesh all these things together, successfully. And we should all get that it's not easy. But when it's all of one or all of the other, it's rarely successful.

Comment

• Darnell Parker Jr. portalling.

On bar with the Birge deflection.

I wish kids would stick it out, but if they struggle it’s not just shocking to see them move on. You just don’t get second chances with kids anymore.

If Darnell could have thrown to 1st the first 1/3 of the year, I wonder if this would be happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
                                Darnell Parker Jr. portalling.

On bar with the Birge deflection.

I wish kids would stick it out, but if they struggle it’s not just shocking to see them move on. You just don’t get second chances with kids anymore.

If Darnell could have thrown to 1st the first 1/3 of the year, I wonder if this would be happening.
                                I agree, highly talented kid, but one costly error after another.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X