2024 Wichita State Baseball Transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

It is worse than minor league sports. Tampering condoned, no contractual obligations, money spent as a hobby not for business reasons.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Well that sucks. It would be interesting to know what kind of NIL value Tommy will have in the portal. Is he transferring for a $75,000 opportunity or a $200,000 one? I honestly have no idea, but this is going to make being a fan awfully hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          I have, and probably will for awhile at least, questioned the idea of recruiting less than top talented players.

I'm guessing within a year or so I will look back and admit how stupid this stance was.

I'm so tired of this crap, after just a few seasons. Why can't adults get this right?

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Recruit a top player, they leave after a season for more money. Recruit a lesser talented player, they improve, and get more money elsewhere in a year or two. End result is the same--they leave.

Comment

It is worse than minor league sports. Tampering condoned, no contractual obligations, money spent as a hobby not for business reasons.
            True. To make things worse, WSU is in an awkward spot without football and in a transitory conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Recruit a top player, they leave after a season for more money. Recruit a lesser talented player, they improve, and get more money elsewhere in a year or two. End result is the same--they leave.
              Yep. IMO the only out is to find a unicorn that decides they actually WANT to do it at WSU, for whatever reason. And that they become enough of a gravity-well to keep other talent around as well. But I'm not sure that's ever going to be a thing.

Would Pelfrey have come/stayed? That's the sort of thing I think it will take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Yep. IMO the only out is to find a unicorn that decides they actually WANT to do it at WSU, for whatever reason. And that they become enough of a gravity-well to keep other talent around as well. But I'm not sure that's ever going to be a thing.

Would Pelfrey have come/stayed? That's the sort of thing I think it will take.
                I think there are some that will stay. There will be big bats from this lineup that I think will stay Shockers for their careers. I do believe that.

Maybe that is overly optimistic, which I will admit I sometimes am.

We will never be the top dawg, if a player wants to leave for a few more dollars, they will be able to.

Comment

• How is a school like Indiana State, who hosted last year, made a Super and then this year rolled through with a top 10 RPI l, should’ve hosted again, only bowing out to UK in a regional final? How is a school like that surviving this?

You could even argue that ECU doesn’t have a super amount of $$ and they’re surviving this…

And is LaPour just shopping around? He can still theoretically come back, right?

I’m starting to agree with most though that college athletics peaked several years ago. They’re about to eradicate something that was good and turn it into garbage. Again, a big thank you to Jay Bilas for making college athletics such a beautiful spectacle as it is today. What a visionary.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    How is a school like Indiana State, who hosted last year, made a Super and then this year rolled through with a top 10 RPI l, should’ve hosted again, only bowing out to UK in a regional final? How is a school like that surviving this?

You could even argue that ECU doesn’t have a super amount of $$ and they’re surviving this…
                    These teams play in relative easy conferences (MVC - 11th, AAC - 13th) and won them. In ISUB rather dominantly. They also played a good non-conference schedule and won their games. It comes down to winning games and WSU just can't seem to do that (1-12 versus Q1 and 0.500 vs. Q3). If WSU goes 0.500 in Q1 and wins most of Q3 they are probably NCAA team. But I just doesn't feel like they will be ever able to dig out of the hole they are in due to Butler/Wedge.

And is LaPour just shopping around? He can still theoretically come back, right?
                    I assume he is testing to see how much he is worth. He can come back, but I would think somebody would buy him.

I’m starting to agree with most though that college athletics peaked several years ago. They’re about to eradicate something that was good and turn it into garbage. Again, a big thank you to Jay Bilas for making college athletics such a beautiful spectacle as it is today. What a visionary.
                    I agree with you. It just so disappointing. Normally, we would go into off-season with some hope for next year, but it looks like rinse-and-repeat with probably same or worse outcome next year.

Comment

• How many players from last year's team actually ended up benefitting (at least on the field) from the portal?
                      Tolle, Candiotti, Cranz, Pennington, maybe Vornado? How many didn't have the success or playing time they expected? Grant Adler barely threw for KU...he would have been a solid 3-4 starter for us. Minor is back in the portal. Henry still hasn't pitched. Herring was subpar. Plenty more that either didn't play or barely scratched the boxscore.

Would love to see metrics kept on net positives for transfers in all sports. Unless they are some of the few that are really raking in six figures in NIL dollars, can't believe most are coming out better than before. That is one small way this can be combatted.

Comment

How many players from last year's team actually ended up benefitting (at least on the field) from the portal?
                        Tolle, Candiotti, Cranz, Pennington, maybe Vornado? How many didn't have the success or playing time they expected? Grant Adler barely threw for KU...he would have been a solid 3-4 starter for us. Minor is back in the portal. Henry still hasn't pitched. Herring was subpar. Plenty more that either didn't play or barely scratched the boxscore.

Would love to see metrics kept on net positives for transfers in all sports. Unless they are some of the few that are really raking in six figures in NIL dollars, can't believe most are coming out better than before. That is one small way this can be combatted.
                        The problem here is that 4 of those guys were highly predicable to still be good elsewhere (Tolle, Candiotti, Pennington, Ingram) and they were good or great in better league presumably getting more money than playing at WSU. LaPour, to me, projects much more like those guys than like Adler/Minor/Herring.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

These teams play in relative easy conferences (MVC - 11th, AAC - 13th) and won them. In ISUB rather dominantly. They also played a good non-conference schedule and won their games. It comes down to winning games and WSU just can't seem to do that (1-12 versus Q1 and 0.500 vs. Q3). If WSU goes 0.500 in Q1 and wins most of Q3 they are probably NCAA team. But I just doesn't feel like they will be ever able to dig out of the hole they are in due to Butler/Wedge.

I assume he is testing to see how much he is worth. He can come back, but I would think somebody would buy him.

I agree with you. It just so disappointing. Normally, we would go into off-season with some hope for next year, but it looks like rinse-and-repeat with probably same or worse outcome next year.
                          I think what Fever is asking is how are they keeping their players and staying competitive on a national level? Terre Haute doesn't seem like an NIL gold mine. I don't have time to dive into their roster over the past 3-4 years to study player history. Where is the ISUB poster that used to show up here on occasion?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Best I can tell, this is still the list.

For a little comparison, in our conference so far:

ECU, Memphis, Charlotte don't show anyone in the portal.

FAU 1

UTSA 3

Tulane 5

UAB 3

USF 9

Rice 2

Updated List culled from the portal and/or the players own X feed:

Williams
                            Fettinger
                            Bledsoe
                            Pantier
                            LaPour
                            Birge
                            Zayas
                            Oswald
                            Geraghty
                            Parker Jr.
                            Agnew

Charlotte 4

ECU 2

FAU 3

Memphis 3

Rice 5

Tulane 5

UAB 9

USF 9

UTSA 8

Comment

I think what Fever is asking is how are they keeping their players and staying competitive on a national level? Terre Haute doesn't seem like an NIL gold mine. I don't have time to dive into their roster over the past 3-4 years to study player history. Where is the ISUB poster that used to show up here on occasion?
                              Maybe that's the difference. Maybe they rely on up and comers who plan on staying in school and graduating because they don't grade out well as a pro prospect. We certainly don't recruit like that nor should we.

Comment

• It really makes you question wether or not its even worth caring anymore. Imagine if pro sports let guys be free agents every season. It would be a dumpster fire. If something doesnt change it really becomes pointless for small schools to foot the bill for atheltics. Fans dont want to show up to watch intramurals.

Comment

Working...
                                X