No announcement yet.

Wichita at UAB (Mar 22-24)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will take a bunt there especially one so well executed.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Cdizzle or anyone else, am I the only one that thinks the ptich clock keeper delays starting the pitch clock to the point of making it irrelevant in this game?
      I am not an expert on the pitch clock rules. Does seem to be irrelevant in this game with how late it is starting.

Comment

I am not sure how many guys have been struckout looking in this game but seems like a bunch. At some point woutl the ump not think that maybe the problem lies with someone other than the hitters.

Any ways very nice to get an insurance run x 4.

Comment

Nice job by Anderson to get out of that jam.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Score?

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
              Score?
              6-2 Shocks top of 9th.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Relief pitching has been a little suspect today.
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

6-2 Shocks top of 9th.
                  Make that 9-2 after the Shocks plate 3 more in what should be their final at bat.

Comment

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

A good example by the Shocker bullpen on how not to pitch with the lead after the Shockers put up a 4-spot in the top of the 7th to take a 6-1 lead but somehow they only gave up 1 more run with UAB stranding 6 runners on base over the final 3 innings.

But a really good job by freshman Brady Hamilton and a nice job by the Shockers putiing up 7 runs over their last 3 at bats.

Needed this one badly. Now let's hope Tommy is on his game tomorrow and the late offense carries over to tomorrow's game although UAB's starting pitching has been very good.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 24, 2024, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Did anyone hear if zang is healthy?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
                          Did anyone hear if zang is healthy?
                          I didn't get to listen to the entire game, but what I did hear didn't mention Zang at all.

1)No mention of Zang at all, best as anyone can hear.

2)Brady has earned the start....something I heard more than 1 time (seemed intentional).

3)Denning, who is GREAT btw, has all kinds of dynamite drop ins about what he's seen and forecasting (and he's usually about 99% spot on) and he's said absolutely nothing on the subject.

4)Denning also DID say during Friday's game something about how Jack Mount was recruited as a starter and he wouldn't be surprised if he makes it into the mid week or even the weekend rotation (4 pitches, experience etc).

Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Good Saturday bounce back game. Brady was solid if not spectacular. He did struggle with a wipeout pitch, something that he's going to have to develop over time. Too many 0-2 counts that fought back. Gotta be able to put guys away.

Absolutely perfect squeeze from Mo. LOVE it.

Gus' line out got too much love. He HAS to elevate the ball there and get the runner home.

We had some good hitting late, but we're still leaving too much on the bone early. That has to change.

Collectively, the approach at the plate just hasn't been as good lately as it was early in the year. Someone mentioned scouting and I have no doubt that's is becoming a challenge for us. Somehow Camden Johnson is overcoming that, even as a freshman.

Bullpen left something to be desired, but we should be in really good shape for tomorrow's game. Dobbs and Adler are probably the only 2 not available (obviously Hamilton and Favors too). Probably leaves 9 or 10 options (including Tommy).

UAB isn't awful, but they aren't scary with the bats. Tommy needs to challenge them and throw strikes tomorrow. No free passes. At the plate, same story, day 3. Get into their pen. We can't allow the quick pitch sequences we saw today. Make them uncomfortable. Be ready, but be patient.

Weird game at FAU tonight. Tied at 4, bottom 8. Senior Spencer Rich, who looks like one arm is useless, manages to single to right. 1 on, nobody out. He steals 2nd. The Charlotte pitcher has an odd set up, pointing kind of at right field almost. So on 2nd, Rich is hidden to him. He steals 3rd without a throw. Leroux walks, then on an 0-2 count, Adams strikesout and Leroux steals 2nd. 2nd and 3rd, now 1 out. Schroeder is intentionally walked to load the bases and set up a force everywhere. Still 1 out. Jake Millan (no relation) strikes out looking. Bases still loaded, now 2 out. Here's where it gets weird.

McKenna at the plate. Ball 1. Then Rich steals home. Called out. Immediate challenge. Ball is there in plenty of time. But Rich's slide leg goes through the legs of the catcher. As with most broadcasts, there is no clear high def angle. 2 umps go to review. We look at 2 angles, maybe 3, and frankly there's no definitive consensus. After about 3 minutes, ump #3 goes to the review booth. Weird. 1 ump left on the field. 2 more minutes go by. The 3 umps emerge from the viewing area. Walk about 15 feet, start talking....huddle, and then jog BACK to the viewing area. A minute or 2 later, they're back. No signal is given. They start talking to the Charlotte coach. Not animated at all. Just talking. For a LONG time. The FAU coach is clearly annoyed because he's not involved. The announcers call it a negotiation. Still no call. Finally, after at least 3 minutes of talking to the Charlotte coach, the ump turns and points to the plate. Run scores. Nobody has any idea what the decision is.

Now, I have determined to myself that they called catcher's interference (or obstruction, the tv guys said the catcher went in front of the plate blocking the hitter....which I don't understand because where do you want the catcher to go, if he stays where he is, he's going to block the runner...you're screwed either way. Now, as I'm typing it, would the batter be awarded 1st in that situation? No steal of home, batter awarded 1st, everyone moves up 1 base, no intentional walk? But that's NOT what the box score says....so weird) but the box score shows error, catcher's obstruction, but here's what I can't figure out:

The runners at 1st and 2nd DID NOT MOVE UP on the steal home. So it should have been 1st and 2nd with 2 outs and McKenna still up. But McKenna was awarded 1st for some reason. The box score says he was intentionally walked, but that makes zero sense. No way you intentionally walk there to load the bases when 1st and 2nd are already occupied. I still don't really know what happened. Anyway, the next guy flied out and the inning ended 5-4 FAU.

The 2nd batter for Charlotte went yard in the top of the 9th to tie it. Both teams had plenty of chances to win the game, and FAU finally did in the 10th when they literally walked off the 49rs with a single, single, ground out, intentional walk followed by a walk to end it.

Comment

Wow that FAU+Charlotte situation sounded like a cluster.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                Wow that FAU+Charlotte situation sounded like a cluster.
                                According to this article - https://charlotte49ers.com/news/2024...er-at-fau.aspx - the catcher was called for a balk, which you don't see happen too often:

"The leadoff batter reached for the Owls and then stole second and third before a walk and an intentional free pass loaded the bases. The runner on third tried to steal home with two gone and was initially called out after Wilson got the ball to Hopson in time. The play was reviewed for several minutes before the call was finally reversed, giving FAU the go-ahead run.

It was called a catcher's balk on Hopson after he moved from behind the plate to receive the ball from Wilson. Wilson was still engaged on the rubber when he threw to the plate, making it a legal pitch, and Hopson moving out from behind the plate to receive the pitch resulted in an illegal movement and a balk to allow the run to score.​"
                                Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Working...
                                X